What are your purchase plans for 2017?

Rakelele

Reaction score
After several nice threads looking back on our purchases in 2016, I thought it would be interesting to look forward and share what we are planning or hoping to buy in the new year.

I have two items on my wish list: One is a high quality Guitarlele. I hope Koaloha will make an Opio version of their D-VI. The other one is a custom made baritone, if the right one comes along (and if I can afford it).

How about you? Which instruments are you planning or hoping to purchase in 2017?

It is always fun to plan. Anticipation is a great part of the "acquiring process" . I have a LfdM baritone on order with Luis, Sitka spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. I think that is what I will use for the back, maybe something different. There will be one or two others........but, shhhhh it's a secret.

Last edited:
Just ordered up a couple of cheap microphones to try out, one of which is a lapel type. :)

Otherwise, I'm not planning on buying anything this year, but who knows what might show up & tempt me. ;)

Provided I had the cash at the time, I'd like to try something with solid cedar or solid mango.

My tastes for scale length are flexible right now, but I hate the worry of humidification and maintenance of humidifiers.

Last edited:
Hopefully nothing, but I said that last year and I still bought two amps, a microphone, and a bunch of gizmos and other doo-dahs that I thought that I needed, and don't every use.

I'm gonna focus my attention on playing my baritone. I'll probably spend on some accessories - capo, new gig bag. And there are a couple of bari-specific books I want to grab.

Edit: And I might also invest in a microphone.

I would like to acquire a nice Taropatch and if Martin makes good with a Centennial Ukulele that I can afford and like, then I would try to get one of those too. Otherwise, I just want to improve my skills and enjoy what I have.

Probably nothing, although I am longing for a Kinnard 6 string. I might break down and get a Godin Seagull if I feel the need for a musical spark.

If the past two years are anything to go by nothing till possibly the end of 2017. Even then considering how happy i am with my current its doubtful i'll change.

Binge on mail order ukuleles, compare then return the losers. Keep that for at least a year. One uke guy. :)

I MAY sway for a vintage Martin soprano but even then it's not high on my radar.

Edit to add. I'm really going to concentrate on playing. I know any uke with good intonation and setup is possible of giving all required to learn but... When you and the uke are in harmony, all the research, finding and sitting down with the right one that gives the tone you hear in your head. It all falls together and the learning takes off. This has happened only a few times in all my years of playing guitar and now uke for the last 5 lovely years.

Last edited:
The two ukes I have in build queues won't be started/finished until 2018.
I rarely plan, then some wonderful uke pops up for sale.
So, for 2017 going to try and go a year without adding any ukes :eek: !

I'm sure this goal won't last, but I'm going to try.
Anybody else going to try and hold the line on acquisitions in 2017?

That being said, I sure hope a Farallon, or nice Ko'olau tenor, or Kinnard bari, or LFDM bari,... pop up for sale. :)

Last edited:
I would like to drive to Indiana to buy a Mainland in person...likely the Cedar with the MiSi installed...and one of the yellow hard cases.

And I keep checking Craigslist in case something interesting pops up. Today a Rogue Baritone Ukulele showed up for $45...when you can buy it on Amazon new, shipped, for $40. Always fun to see people trying to make money on ukulele purchases...particularly when they are crummy ukuleles!

I'm just glad that I can deduct the purchases of these ukuleles! :)

I just put in a bid for 4 Alesis MicLink Wireless XLR adapters to use with my Samson R31S mics. What I like the most is that the receiver plugged into the amp uses batteries, no a/c plugs to mess with (but is included). They sell for $99 and PitBull Audio is selling them for $67.99, I bid $54.99.

(Oh, and I'm selling a Samson 4 mic wireless system for $100 I bought for $190 that the Alesis is replacing.)

Alesis MicLink Wireless.png

Ah yes, I forgot: I'm really interested in trying the new O'ahu cases, but shipping and then VAT is pretty expensive for just a case.

On my wish list - would like to find a used Martin Tenor 2k.

Ah yes, I forgot: I'm really interested in trying the new O'ahu cases, but shipping and then VAT is pretty expensive for just a case.

It'd probably be more cost-effective to buy a new uke and put it in the case before shipping ;)

So, for 2017 going to try and go a year without adding any ukes :eek:

I don't know if I'll make it, but that's my plan as well. Of course, I hadn't planned on getting intrigued by the Ohta San last year, but things happen.

I'd like to convince myself to sell something, but plan on holding steady during the winter, and seeing how things shake out after that.

Well, my family went to Kona for Xmas and, with no prior interest, came home owning four ukes -- my daughter and wife each bought Concerts and brought them home, and I wimped out and arranged for Amazon to deliver two entry level Kalas (soprano, tenor) t get a feel for whether I'm going t do this and which size(s) will work for me.

So there's a decent chance that we will fall off the ukewagon as quickly as we got on, but if I don't, I see a midrange solid body uke in my 3-6 month future. Maybe the Martin 0 or 1 series. Plus appurtenances like hardcase.

More than likely an acoustic (parlour size) guitar. I have really been enjoying, and doing well, on the tenor guitar. It may be time to give it a shot.

Top Bottom