want to convert tenor to baritone need string advice

uketanzon

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a string set that I can used on my 17 inch tenor scale pono tenor to make it a baritone dgbe (low d) ? with enough tension for playability and at least decent sound, if not stellar?
thanks

It will never sound like a baritone - but having the lower notes does bring an extra something to a tenor in DGBE tuning.

I have down tuned tenor strings & have used concert low G strings, when I tried it - both gave lower tension than a normal tenor string, but enough for my liking.

Reentrant dgbe tuning works well on a tenor, but low d is near impossible to get tone and feel.
There are several strings sets including Living Waters for reentrant dgbe tuning.

Hey Mike,

Take a set of classical guitar strings, and use the A for D, D for G, G for B and B for E.

Have not tried DGBE, but all my tenors are tuned CGDA (one is reentrant). Aquila's 31U concert CGDA string set works well at tenor tension.

Mixing and matching strings commonly available in packaged sets is another way to do the job. The low-D is the only challenge. The C (wound string) from the Aquila 31U should give the D. The G, C and E from any low-G tenor set should be able to provide the G, B and E.

As far as a D sound being too bass, I have low-C on most of my tenors and love it.

Top Bottom