Cry Love by John Hiatt

Cool! That's a great song also. Congrats on your first video!

Warning: I'm about to get slightly music-theory here. Those who are annoyed by that should quit reading now. :D

I noticed that, rhythm-wise, you were playing it "in 4", which is fine. That means you're counting the beat as 1-2-3-4, and that's how the majority of pop songs are done.

John Hiatt originally did Cry Love "in 6". That's very unusual (and challenging for a 6-week uker!). Basically, it means you'd count it as 1-2-3-4-5-6. For this particular song, you could also think of it as one "normal" measure followed by a half-measure: 1-2-3-4 1-2 1-2-3-4 1-2 ...and so on.

You can safely ignore all of this at this point in your ukulele-playing life. Keep doin' what you're doin'.

It's hard enough figuring out how to strum and sing in the first place without worrying about weird time signatures that come up once in a blue moon. But if, one day down the road, you wanted to play this song along with the record and "match up" with it, you'd need to consider the song's uncommon rhythm.
:shaka:

JJ

Last edited:
Thanks floyd.... I appriciate it!

Thanks alot JJ.... I couldnt keep up with Hiatt doing it in 6... I tried!... But I kinda liked the way it sounded slowed down, and it was within my skills (sort of) to do it in 4, so thats what I went with.

I appriciate all the positive comments and all the wonderful encouragement from everyone! Ukedome rocks!

But I kinda liked the way it sounded slowed down, and it was within my skills (sort of) to do it in 4, so thats what I went with.

Which is exactly what you should do, IMHO. You'll see a lot of threads with people want to know the exact strum pattern for a song, etc. I say "pshaw!". Make it your own. :D

Keep uke-in',

JJ

Top Bottom