How set up links to audio samples and where to store them?

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to reviewing some of the ukuleles I have acquired over the last 4 months, and as part of the process, I have broke out my old microphones and dusted the cobwebs off of my recording gear. I don't have any experience with using external sites to host downloads. I have tried uploading audio files on a thread only to realized it is not possible. I guess space is limited, so I understand the why, but I don't understand how to work around it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

One way would be to put the sound file into a video, and put it on YouTube.
In windows movie maker you would just ad a picture of the uke, write an explanation as picture text, and then set the duration of the picture to the same length as the sound file in stead of the default 7s. Then drag and drop the sound file into the program.
The most common place to store sound samples without video is probably SoundCloud, but I never tried it.

One way would be to put the sound file into a video, and put it on YouTube.
In windows movie maker you would just ad a picture of the uke, write an explanation as picture text, and then set the duration of the picture to the same length as the sound file in stead of the default 7s. Then drag and drop the sound file into the program.
The most common place to store sound samples without video is probably SoundCloud, but I never tried it.

Thanks for those suggestions. I didn't realize you can use single photo instead of actual video. I'll check it out and look into Soundcloud as well. I have seen some of the users here using Soundcloud.

There's also Drop Box or Box Share.

Thanks, I didn't consider those, as I thought they were primarily for sending and receiving files too big for email. I used to have a drop box account, I will open it up and see what options are available.

I use Box all the time for my sound samples. I know Doc J does, as well as Recstar and Craig who just did the review of his new Beau Hannam tenor

Thanks Solo Rule and Down Up Dave! I think I figured out how to use dropbox, next I will explore sound cloud.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9ixohzh2zmww20/DittyJ430onAce.mp3?dl=0

WOWWW, I would say you got it figured out ok.:)I remember you said you had a recording studio at one time. This sounds just a little nicer than when I record with my Smartphone :biglaugh:

What instrument were you playing, or were there two instruments. All I know was it sounded amazing, very professional

That was a great recording and performance ! Nice!

As Dave said, I use Box or SoundCloud as they play mp3s without downloading. I guess they have a player app built into their sites.

WOWWW, I would say you got it figured out ok.:)I remember you said you had a recording studio at one time. This sounds just a little nicer than when I record with my Smartphone :biglaugh:

What instrument were you playing, or were there two instruments. All I know was it sounded amazing, very professional

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the encouragement.

This was just an exercise really to get back into recording. I recently bought Jason's (Johnson430) Ace Rosewood/Cedar tenor, and told him I would do a sound sample of it for him. Honestly it's just a rough draft, conceived and recorded in about 90 minutes. I recorded a simple chord pattern, and then came back and laid an improvisational melody part over the top. The recording is only a minute and a half, but I doubled it so I could listen to it and practice the melody part. I think it is a bit too repetitive and so eventually I will re-do the melody line.

The gear used is:
Schoeps CMC64 Cardioid Microphone
Universal Audio 6176 Tube mic pre/compressor
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Analog to Digital Converter
Logic Pro X

Once in Logic Pro X, just some really minor tweaks with EQ and Compression, and a touch of reverb.

Last edited:
Wow, very nice!!! Look forward to hearing more of your playing.

When doing reviews, mostly people do them dry with no effects to provide as "pure" as sound sample as possible.

Soundcloud used to heavily compress audio. Do they allow uncompressed files now?

A cloud storage, like Dropbox, is probably the best place, and you already created one :). They have a web-based player and users can download the files or move them to their own clouds (with Dropbox at least).

Nicely played!

Wow, very nice!!! Look forward to hearing more of your playing.

When doing reviews, mostly people do them dry with no effects to provide as "pure" as sound sample as possible.

Thanks Eddie, I didn't mean for this to be review per se, but I definitely will do more pure recordings when I start doing formal reviews. This was really a test to see if box worked and it is my only listenable recording with ukulele.

Last edited:
That was a great recording and performance ! Nice!

As Dave said, I use Box or SoundCloud as they play mp3s without downloading. I guess they have a player app built into their sites.

Thanks Hodge!

Soundcloud used to heavily compress audio. Do they allow uncompressed files now?

A cloud storage, like Dropbox, is probably the best place, and you already created one :). They have a web-based player and users can download the files or move them to their own clouds (with Dropbox at least).

Nicely played!

Dropbox was a breeze to use, the only downside being limited space unless you upgrade. I didn't check what costs are for adding storage space. The file I uploaded was an MP3 so it's already pretty heavily compressed. I guess if storage was 10 GB's you could upload a life's work of wave files.

Dropbox was a breeze to use, the only downside being limited space unless you upgrade. I didn't check what costs are for adding storage space. The file I uploaded was an MP3 so it's already pretty heavily compressed. I guess if storage was 10 GB's you could upload a life's work of wave files.

The basic DropBox is 2 GB, plus whatever you might have received as bonuses from referrals (not sure they still do these). Unfortunately, the only paid options are tied to recurring payments, no one-time-off payments. I've been considering to switch to Apple's iCloud, which gives 5 GB of free space, but I have been using Dropbox for years, so migrating to something else isn't a super attractive option, especially since Dropbox works well for me. I'd be happy to pay $100 for a permanent 10 GB Dropbox, but not a monthly rate for vastly more space than I need. (Apple also persistently fails to offer hardware that would make me want to switch platforms - first they discontinued 17" MacBooks, now that I'd want a MacBook Air, those seem to have been discontinued also ...)

SoundCloud streaming is compressed but perfectly adequate for most purposes. The storage limit is time based. The free account gives you 3 hours of material.

Bandcamp.com has an option for FLAC or WAV download but again, streaming is compressed.

SoundCloud streaming is compressed but perfectly adequate for most purposes. The storage limit is time based. The free account gives you 3 hours of material.

Bandcamp.com has an option for FLAC or WAV download but again, streaming is compressed.

I was just looking at Soundcloud, and my initial impression was 3 hours seems like a short amount of time. But giving it more thought, if average length is 3 minutes, that's 60 songs. And if it get's full you can always cycle new ones in and old ones out I guess.

Top Bottom