Jingling sound in the string?

moonshoe

Reaction score
I'm not sure how else to describe it, is this what people call a "buzz"? I heard this weird jingling sound in E string on the first three frets with the strings it came in with, which i thought maybe it's cause they're old.. but it's still there after i put on new strings (about a week and a few days ago). The others sound fine and clean.

I also noticed there's no sustain in the A string today, as compared to the others.. at all.

P.S. The ukulele i'm using is a Famous FS-5. It was a display model and i'm not sure how old it is so i'm not sure if the issue is that it needs to be setup again.. or could it be an issue with the tuners? I'm currently using Martin M600 strings on it if that matters any.

Anyone please?

A buzz that goes away after you move up the fretboard sounds like you've got a high fret.

Do you have a short metal ruler or something similar with a straight edge? Align it with the string and place the edge on the frets. See if you can rock it. If so, the fret it's pivoting on is the high one. From what you've said it's probably the fourth fret.

I just did, and it stays straight.. no pivoting. But I just loosened the E string to see the ruler sitting on the frets more closely and tightened it again, the buzz went away.

Can the buzz go and come back temporarily? It's happened before too, but I hadn't done anything.

Well, that's good news. The next place I'd check is the tuners. Loose screws or collars can cause rattles and buzzing. Do you have friction tuners or geared tuners?

Have a close look at the nut slot too. Slots that are too wide or slope down at the fretboard side can do weird things. Make sure the string sits firmly at the bottom of the slot and doesn't have sideways slop.

you can also sight down the fretboard by holding the butt end of the uke against your cheek, and close one eye like you are aiming a rifle, and look down the line of the strings, for the strings themselves will be a perfectly straight line, and it should be relatively easy to see if there are any frets slightly taller than any others, as well as any warping or bowing of the neck if it is bad enough beyond a certain point...

Top Bottom