Caramel CP200 Sopranino- Intonation?

idxxoutoftheblue

Reaction score
I just got the Caramel CP-200 sopranino in today.
It's super cute and in good shape! However, I'm worried about the intonation. The strings aren't staying in tune (which I know is typical) and the C string is especially giving me issues. If the C string is in tune and I fret the second string, the tuner shows that it's a super sharp D (not D# though). Does this mean that the intonation is incorrect?
If so, should I contact them about a replacement?

Thanks!

It will take several days before the strings will hold tuning. The strings that come on it, (Super Nylgut?) may not be just right for the 11" scale of the sopraninio. I use the Fremont Black line Hard strings on mine (an RP-100) they have a little more tension and intone just fine. Is the E on the fourth fret sharp or Okay? If sharp, then the nut may be a bit tall on the C string, or you are fretting too hard?

At any rate, play it for a week and then test it again. It takes a while before the strings settle down. Enjoy that little jewel.

I have a CP-200 too. The sopranino doesn't really suit 'standard' GCEA tuning and you should find it sounds a lot better tuned up a bit. ADF#B would be better, but I would recommend BbEbGC or CFAD to really make it shine.

I find on mine, intonation is surprising good given how inexpensive these are, but you do get what you pay for and it's unlikely ever to be perfect.

Last edited:
If the C string is in tune and I fret the second string, the tuner shows that it's a super sharp D (not D# though). Does this mean that the intonation is incorrect?

This often happens in flabby strings. Just check the tuner again with low pressure.

This post has been on my mind since yesterday and a number of things have come to mind.

First, it is entirely possible that the uke arrived without a proper setup, and needs to be adjusted at the saddle (very likely) and at the nut (possible). It wouldn't surprise me if Caramel was simply slapping Soprano saddles and nuts on a Sopranino. I do adjust at the saddle but generally do do very little with the nut, as I do not have nut files (I have some needle files coming from eBay--but they are not the real deal).

Second, the strings are so new that they may be stretching literally as you play, and I have found the Aquila Nylguts to be very stretchy, and more so on the bigger strings.

Third, is it possible your playing style is too hard, and you are pressing the string so hard it bends out of tune? (the old Outdoor Ukulele Soprano model had this issue)

And finally, are there sopranino specific strings? Again, I would wager money that Concert/Soprano strings are being used and perhaps a thinner gauge set of strings would help the situation?

Top Bottom