1927-31 Martin Style 1 Soprano

jajafofo

Reaction score
1927-31 Martin Style 1 Soprano. Great vintage Uke. Has one small hairline crack in the top that is solid and not spreading (and I don't think it's even all the way through). Other than that, it's in fantastic condition for its age. Currently strung with Aquilas and I've got the Worth clears it had in it previously in the Hardshell case it comes with. If you've got any questions don't hesitate to email me.

EDIT - Forgot to upload the pic of the crack!! My bad. Here it is. You can barely see it but I want to be as upfront as possible..

View attachment 96729

PM or email me at jajafofo at gmail dot com if interested

$500 plus shipping.

IMG_6635.jpg
IMG_6640.jpg
IMG_6639.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg
IMG_6638.jpg
View attachment 96729

Last edited:
Nice old piece! Because I'm always learning more about these vintage Martins, how were you able to date it to this period?
I'm aware of the front headstock Decal VS back stamp. Tuners look Period-correct. Is there binding on the back as well as the front?

edit: Pre 1933 used the Rosewood binding (not tortoise shell) Back stamp dates it as pre-1933 also (some sources say 1932)

Last edited:
You're correct. The tuners swapped to that style in 1927, so that's how I pinned down the date range. I believe that Headstock decals were first started in 1932. I'm pretty sure it's only bound on the top, but I can verify that when I get home. It could be a 1927-1933 range, though, so my last 2 years might be off.

Is this uke still available? If yes, could you please reupload the picture of the crack because the link doesn't work anymore! Thanks!

1932 was the transition year for Martin when they used BOTH the sticker and the impression in the back of the headstock. I have a 1932 Martin Style 2 which I had researched and spoke to Martin about. If it has the imprint and not the sticker it's probably a 1931 or older. If it has just the sticker, it's definitely 1933 or more recent. 1932 was the only year Martin used both sticker and imprint and thus if you have both, you definitely have a 1932..the only year you can definitively determine and thus a super collector item. Just fyi. Cheers!

Terrific price for one of the best sopranos ever made! My style 1 is my ultimate "cold-dead-hands" uke.

I have a Style 1 from this period. Mine is also a "cold-dead-hands" uke.

Top Bottom