PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is NUD!!!

Elessar
01-03-2017, 01:35 PM
:drool:I've checked the Fedex shipping information and it's on time for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! It'll be like a newborn ukulele and I'll have to get baby pictures and everything; wrap her up in her new little carry case and lovingly caress her new strings! hahaha Can't wait! Stand by for pictures!!!

vanflynn
01-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Don’t wear out the FedEx tracking "update" button!

Definitely need pics of the new arrival

Twibbly
01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
:drool:I've checked the Fedex shipping information and it's on time for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait! It'll be like a newborn ukulele and I'll have to get baby pictures and everything; wrap her up in her new little carry case and lovingly caress her new strings! hahaha Can't wait! Stand by for pictures!!!

:stop:

If you live where it's cold, don't forget to let the box sit at room temp for several hours before opening it. :biglaugh:

DownUpDave
01-03-2017, 02:22 PM
:stop:

If you live where it's cold, don't forget to let the box sit at room temp for several hours before opening it. :biglaugh:

Vital information. I live in Canada and always seems to buy ukes in the winter. I then have to wait 3 - 5 hrs for the package and uke to warm up before opening. The thin wood can crack if exposed to a sudden huge change in temperature and humidity.

We are all excited for you.

Elessar
01-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Vital information. I live in Canada and always seems to buy uses in the winter. I then have to wait 3 - 5 hrs for the package and uke to warm up before opening. The thin wood can crack if exposed to a sudden huge change in temperature and humidity.

We are all excited for you.

Oh, sure, now you have to tell me about something that seems like more torture. Today was 57 and it's still 52 at 8:30 pm. The low tonight will be 34 and the high tomorrow will be 33. I guess I'll have to wait, but I won't like it! (pouting)

Twibbly
01-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Oh, sure, now you have to tell me about something that seems like more torture. Today was 57 and it's still 52 at 8:30 pm. The low tonight will be 34 and the high tomorrow will be 33. I guess I'll have to wait, but I won't like it! (pouting)

Better to wait a few hours than crack it!

Elessar
01-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Better to wait a few hours than crack it!

Ladies & Gentlemen: I concur; better to wait. Tomorrow's weather is going to be a shocking change from what we have been experiencing since Christmas and I will protect my baby. Thank you for letting me know of this danger. Sincerely appreciated.

Twibbly
01-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen: I concur; better to wait. Tomorrow's weather is going to be a shocking change from what we have been experiencing since Christmas and I will protect my baby. Thank you for letting me know of this danger. Sincerely appreciated.

:D

I figure it's better to burst a bubble than to burst a uke! 'cause that would just be sad.

Elessar
01-04-2017, 07:47 AM
:drool:It's here! It's here! Now the waiting really begins...I'm figuring I can safely open the box at 5:00 pm.

Twibbly
01-04-2017, 08:18 AM
:drool:It's here! It's here! Now the waiting really begins...I'm figuring I can safely open the box at 5:00 pm.

Didja set a timer? ;)

Elessar
01-04-2017, 08:55 AM
I figured staring at the clock would suffice, as long as I don't touch the clock to "help" it along...wait, wait, wait...one hour has past...wait, wait, wait...

Didja set a timer? ;)

Twibbly
01-04-2017, 09:00 AM
I figured staring at the clock would suffice, as long as I don't touch the clock to "help" it along...wait, wait, wait...one hour has past...wait, wait, wait...

It's like you're not even worried that you might forget! :rotfl:

Elessar
01-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Bwaaaahahahaha!!!

It's like you're not even worried that you might forget! :rotfl:

Twibbly
01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Tick tock tick tock!

Elessar
01-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Now that's just mean...cold, and heartless...almost two hours :cool:

Tick tock tick tock!

Twibbly
01-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Now that's just mean...cold, and heartless...almost two hours :cool:

So...the new uke is wooden, right? 'cause otherwise, you don't have to worry about it near as much...

Elessar
01-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Twibbly: She's a laminate wood instrument. It's been almost three hours but it's time to go home so I'll wait until I get home and then complete the unboxing.

Elessar
01-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Here are the first images of "Rose" as I unboxed her at home today. My wife and I spent over two hours practicing together this evening working over different songs including 500 Miles, Imagine and What the World Needs Now.
96740 96741
96742 96743

Twibbly
01-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Is Rose a Makala Tenor? She's pretty.

vanflynn
01-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Woo hoo! Congrats and I hope the two of you make lots of joyful music together.

Enjoy

Debussychopin
01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Makalas are great. Enjoy. You really don't need to wait for it to acclimate. Maybe a solid wood but not Makalas

Elessar
01-05-2017, 02:28 AM
Yup, she is a Kala (makala) Tenor. I was pleased with the Aquila strings and enjoyed that Rose held her tuning very well for being brand new. I'm not thrilled with the tuner and have a tuner app on my phone if things go sideways, but overall, she's wonderful! The package also included a padded gig bag and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the bag: good fit and good construction.

I have been practicing on my wife's soprano and was expecting the neck on the tenor to be much wider than what I have perceived. Rose plays very well and even running up the neck the notes remain strong and the tone sounds good to my un-trained ear.

I am very satisfied with my $89 purchase.

Debussychopin
01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
For a mere 90 bucks you can practice and learn and experience a world of magical music , which is not only invaluable (can't place a dollar amt) on life memories and on relationships, but also invaluable to the medicinal properties of learning and enjoying a musical instrument that is holistically beneficial to the body and mind.

One can spend 90 bucks easily on a weekend drinking and looking for social companionship. And it can be a waste of not only money, but also life, character, and soul.

Gammo
01-05-2017, 05:51 PM
She's a beauty. I get Ukuenvy so easily.

Elessar
01-06-2017, 02:26 AM
My wife and I replaced the strings on her Amahi ukulele that was a Christmas gift because the strings were junk. The new Aquila Nylgut really improved the sound of her instrument and then we enjoyed an hour of practice together. It was sweet music for both of us!

For a mere 90 bucks you can practice and learn and experience a world of magical music , which is not only invaluable (can't place a dollar amt) on life memories and on relationships, but also invaluable to the medicinal properties of learning and enjoying a musical instrument that is holistically beneficial to the body and mind.

One can spend 90 bucks easily on a weekend drinking and looking for social companionship. And it can be a waste of not only money, but also life, character, and soul.

Elessar
01-09-2017, 09:39 AM
We've been enjoying playing/practicing almost nightly and last night I noticed that the E string didn't ring like the other three on my new Kala. Is it possible for one string to be "off" and not sound as bright as the others?

Croaky Keith
01-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Very occasionally you will get a duff string from any manufacturer, but I expect it is just settling in if you don't check your tuning every time you take it out to play, some strings take longer to settle. :)

Elessar
01-10-2017, 04:34 AM
Very occasionally you will get a duff string from any manufacturer, but I expect it is just settling in if you don't check your tuning every time you take it out to play, some strings take longer to settle. :)

We both have e-tuners and check our tuning throughout the period when we are practicing. I have been trying to use the tuner to play up the fret board to check the accuracy of the instrument but it is not going well. I've only been able to hit about half the notes that should be registering according the lesson on music theory that I've been studying.

The E string seems to be fine according to the tuner and my opinion may be lack of experience based on hearing only two ukuleles for a good sampling of what the E should sound like...jus' saying'.

I plan on visiting with the local ukulele group in Lexington, The Lexingtones, during an upcoming group jam session where I'll ask someone with more experience to evaluate my instrument for accuracy and intonation.