Jet 10-20 plus problem

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Not had chance to investigate any further yet, but when I came to use my drum sander today, the conveyor belt didn't work. The drum turns fine. When I turn on the conveyor, there is no movement or sound at all coming from the gear motor. I loosened off the belt, in case the tension was too much, but still no luck. The machine is only about a year old and hasn't had a great deal of use. Of course, I can't find the receipt to check if it's still in warranty, I might have to contact Axmister to find out. In the meantime, any ideas? Mike

Update:
Been in touch with Axminster and fortunately they tell me it's still under warranty, and reckon it might be the electronics pcb that's faulty. They are going to send one out to me as I agreed to change it. Fingers crossed. If it solves the problem, because I loosened the belt, I'll probably still have to retrack the belt which apparantly is a real PITA.

Update:
Been in touch with Axminster and fortunately they tell me it's still under warranty, and reckon it might be the electronics pcb that's faulty. They are going to send one out to me as I agreed to change it. Fingers crossed. If it solves the problem, because I loosened the belt, I'll probably still have to retrack the belt which apparantly is a real PITA.

For info on getting the tracking sorted you might find the following thread useful http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94447-Tracking-the-conveyor-belt-on-a-Jet-10-20

Is the belt drive motor running?
When I first ran mine the belt would hesitate with the slightest tension. There is a small drive coupling between the belt drive motor and the belt drive shaft itself. Turned out the screws were loose.
This was from new and was on a 16-32 which could be different.
Cheers

It's usually the rectifiers on the PCB.......or the shaft couplings have come loose..(if this) To fix it align the shaft flats of the gear motor
and the drive roller and tighten the shaft-coupling setscrew

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I'll update the thread when the pcb has arrived and been fitted. Andyk, thanks for the link and Ken's advice on that link. And Ken, I came across an article somewhere which suggested the rectifiers were a common problem, and that the newer boards had larger components. Maybe the original ones are too underpowered. Also, if it was the shaft couplings I would expect some sort of noise or movement from the motor, but it is quiet.

Just an update to say I received the speed controller pcb/pot from Axminster and replaced the old one yesterday. Fortunately it worked and now I have to keep my eye on the belt tracking after spending an hour or so fiddling about with it. The fact that Axminster stocked these and sent it out so promptly, suggests this is a very common fault, so I'm now wondering how long the new one will last. It looked exactly like the old one, i.e. no obvious component upgrades that I had read about elsewhere. Has anyone else had this problem? Mike

Top Bottom