Decent tuning pegs?

crazybilly

Reaction score
I recently acquired an old, beat up banjo uke (it's branded "Illinois", for whatever that's worth). It's missing two of it's original friction tuners (old janky things with bakelite knobs).

I'd love to get it playable, so I'm planning on buying some new tuners. I don't mind spending a decent amount of money (less than $50 for sure), so I was thinking about getting some Grover friction pegs.

And then I saw the Waverlys. They're gorgeous, but are they really 2 - 3 times the price of the Grovers?

And for that matter, are the Grovers 10x better than $2 ebay specials? I've used the latter in the past and they really are pretty awful: usable, but awful.

I'm sure the groovers will work just fine. I've used ebay tuners as well, they work, but as you say - they are awful.

So the Grovers are worth the price? I mean, $20ish seems reasonable to me if they're that much better...

Are there other options somewhere in between that don't involve ears? I'd much prefer a geared tuner--I love my 1:4 planetaries on my banjo, but hate to spend twice as much on tuners as I did on the uke itself (which is why pegheds are out).

I absolutley hate the Waverlys. If you don't have the bevel just right they will slip or require that you have them so tight it will damage the wood.

If you want open back geared tuners, then Grover Sta-tites are great for the money.

Anything that is a peg with planetary gears is going to blow the budget.

But those are guitar style geared tuners, right? Not planetary, banjo style tuners?

Those planetary Gotohs look really cool--they'd be ideal, I think, if I had a really nice uke (or one I really loved) that I wanted to upgrade. At $60+, though, they seem a little steep to invest in an instrument that's worth $100 on a good day (and that I paid $12 for). I suspect finding a used set is next to impossible--people keep good stuff!

How much of a difference is there between the $6 eBay tuners and the $17 Grovers?

Enough. Dont buy the cheap ones. I have them on my electric uke and it's night and day compared to my KoAloha. The friction tuners on that uke are my favorite tuners so far.

I bought these from Eaglemusic UK for my Ohana longneck. They are very well build and keep the tuning fine.
C2EA9200-E0FE-4588-9AF5-6C1A30A59779.jpgE784086F-871B-455C-A0F7-D9D5E9870A8F.jpgAC02EA52-074B-4CCB-B707-438C69DC1307.jpg

Top Bottom