The ukulele resurgence is over, say UK music store Gear4Music

That sounds about right. I've only just discovered the uke.

Well, at some point a resurgence, if maintained, is no longer a resurgence but a fact of life.

The ukulele continues to grow in education (many of my students are buying their own instruments, with no requirement to do so) and people like "The Ukulele Teacher" on YouTube, Grace Vanderwall, and 21 Pilots continue to make sure that the ukulele stays within the public eye. Certainly the fact that there is no representation of Ukulele manufacturers at NAMM this year supports the idea that the ukulele resurgence is over (I'm being sarcastic here...check out the NAMM thread).

Ultimately, every article is written with an agenda (this is particularly true if the author claims no agenda), and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Well, I think there's some truth in that the resurgance is over. All music stores Ive visited have said they sell less ukes now than 5 years ago.

But that's really a non issue for me, since I will keep on playing anyway.

I don't suppose that it will cause the price of ukes to drop will it?

I don't suppose that it will cause the price of ukes to drop will it?

I think that may happen for higher end ones built by (some) individual luthiers, if the demand decreases consistently. High end ukes from guitar makers may get discontinued as the companies shift ukulele resources back to making guitars, as we have seen with e.g. Martin at the end of golden eras before, and with Collings now. I suppose less demand may also affect mid-range ukuleles and their availability and diversity if it becomes less economical to make and offer instruments in the $400-700 range.

The same thing has been said last year, and the year before that. I think there are some indicators that the climax has been past, but that the ukulele is still very popular.

My subjective impression is that there is a little less traffic here on UU than there was a couple of years ago, and that some ukes which would have sold within minutes or hours now take several days or weeks until they're gone, both on the used market and new. But they still sell. I don't think we're at a point where luthiers will lower their prices. With a wait list of several months or years for some of the most wanted ones, perhaps their wait will get a little shorter, but there still seems to be high demand.

If you have followed NAMM over the past decade, you've seen a lot of new brands coming up and disappearing. Possibly, this goldrush era where everybody tried to enter the market is over. But there are some brands which are pretty firmly established by now and will continue to supply the market on all levels.

Last but not least, a lot of highend ukes seem to sell to Asia. I assume there is still a growing market that we know very little about.

Last edited:
I like the fact its a niche instrument. One of the reason i came away from guitar was everyone and their brother, mother, sister and uncle played. I only play occasionally now. When i bar the high 4 strings at the 5th fret and try to stretch out ukulele stuff i say, "ye case time for you" and shake my head. :)

Ukulele wins my heart every time.

(NAMM happens this time of year Jan/Feb) and my reaction is thus:

"A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So bye, bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey 'n rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die..."

excerpt from the song "American Pie" lyrics by Don Mclean

I can only judge by what I see, my seniors uke group gets new people every 2-3 weeks, absolute beginners who just walk in with a new uke in their hands. The local Sam Ash in Hollywood that I frequent has expanded their uke section recently, going from a small tree of ukes to an added wall that holds double the amount, and twice as many cases as before hanging nearby. They also carry Road Toad Pahoehoe bass uke strings, not carried by many retailers.

The leader of our group teaches uke classes at a mom & pop store, Boulevard Music in West Los Angeles that has a wall of ukes as well and holds kanikapilas often. McCabe's Music has been the go to mom & pop store in Santa Monica for over 60 years with a long wall of ukes, ongoing uke classes that perform every Christmas.

I think the internet had a lot to do with the resurgence of the uke years ago, and because of it's ubiquitous presence, will keep ukes going beyond any of the previous resurgences.

The associate pastor at my church gives guitar lessons so I asked him if he could help me out with my baritone uke. On the first lesson the first thing he suggested I do was "get a six string". I didn't schedule a second lesson.

The associate pastor at my church gives guitar lessons so I asked him if he could help me out with my baritone uke. On the first lesson the first thing he suggested I do was "get a six string". I didn't schedule a second lesson.

Pardon a.momentary hijack, but my son had his Uke at a small show if some wonderful local musicians. When they saw the Uke the joked that he should get a guitar yada yada. He's nine. Then he played a really neat original song he wrote and they both said "stick with the Uke that was amazing". He would need several more years to have the hand strength to even play some of the same chords on a guitar. The barrier to entry is so much lower the on the Uke.

Pardon a.momentary hijack, but my son had his Uke at a small show if some wonderful local musicians. When they saw the Uke the joked that he should get a guitar yada yada. He's nine. Then he played a really neat original song he wrote and they both said "stick with the Uke that was amazing". He would need several more years to have the hand strength to even play some of the same chords on a guitar. The barrier to entry is so much lower the on the Uke.

Please pardon my momentary outrage - but some people who are unwilling to appreciate the ukulele are just plain idiots.

I think that may happen for higher end ones built by (some) individual luthiers, if the demand decreases consistently. High end ukes from guitar makers may get discontinued as the companies shift ukulele resources back to making guitars, as we have seen with e.g. Martin at the end of golden eras before, and with Collings now. I suppose less demand may also affect mid-range ukuleles and their availability and diversity if it becomes less economical to make and offer instruments in the $400-700 range.

There is no evidence I've seen to support the idea the high end/custom market will decrease at all. Through all of the economic swings at least the USA has had, the niche market for high end luxury items typically remains constant. Rich people apparently still like to buy rich things regardless of market I guess lol. The biggest impact market wise will be on lower or mid tier items.

The original article had a little to do with Ukuleles. Ukes were only mentioned in passing with no supporting data.
NAMM will have good uke sales data.

All I know is wait time setting up a new instrument at HMS has not decreased over time. So I'm guessing sales of high-quality ukes haven't gone down.;)

Top Bottom