PDA

View Full Version : The ukulele resurgence is over, say UK music store Gear4Music

jimavery
01-06-2017, 10:32 PM
"A few years ago it was folk instruments and the ukulele. Right now it's a retro revival."

From: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-4096080/Squelch-retro-80s-synthesisers-sound-sales-success-Gear4music.html

Gammo
01-06-2017, 10:35 PM
That sounds about right. I've only just discovered the uke.

Croaky Keith
01-06-2017, 11:01 PM
It doesn't surprise me, the 80's people are now in their middle years, kids off their hands, & with a bit of spare cash again. :)

Gammo
01-06-2017, 11:23 PM
There'll be shoulder pads and permed mullets all over the place.

Griffis
01-07-2017, 12:06 AM
There'll be shoulder pads and permed mullets all over the place.

��

...and neon shoelaces!

Choirguy
01-07-2017, 02:53 AM
Well, at some point a resurgence, if maintained, is no longer a resurgence but a fact of life.

The ukulele continues to grow in education (many of my students are buying their own instruments, with no requirement to do so) and people like "The Ukulele Teacher" on YouTube, Grace Vanderwall, and 21 Pilots continue to make sure that the ukulele stays within the public eye. Certainly the fact that there is no representation of Ukulele manufacturers at NAMM this year supports the idea that the ukulele resurgence is over (I'm being sarcastic here...check out the NAMM thread).

Ultimately, every article is written with an agenda (this is particularly true if the author claims no agenda), and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Down Up Dick
01-07-2017, 03:06 AM
"A few years ago it was folk instruments and the ukulele. Right now it's a retro revival."

From: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-4096080/Squelch-retro-80s-synthesisers-sound-sales-success-Gear4music.html

Your personal ukulele resurgence is over when you say it is. Keep on strummin'! :old:

cml
01-07-2017, 03:15 AM
Well, I think there's some truth in that the resurgance is over. All music stores Ive visited have said they sell less ukes now than 5 years ago.

But that's really a non issue for me, since I will keep on playing anyway.

mikelz777
01-07-2017, 03:50 AM
I don't suppose that it will cause the price of ukes to drop will it?

Twibbly
01-07-2017, 03:52 AM
��

...and neon shoelaces!

...y'mean I was supposed to quit wearing those at some point?

Mivo
01-07-2017, 04:06 AM
I don't suppose that it will cause the price of ukes to drop will it?

I think that may happen for higher end ones built by (some) individual luthiers, if the demand decreases consistently. High end ukes from guitar makers may get discontinued as the companies shift ukulele resources back to making guitars, as we have seen with e.g. Martin at the end of golden eras before, and with Collings now. I suppose less demand may also affect mid-range ukuleles and their availability and diversity if it becomes less economical to make and offer instruments in the $400-700 range.

Rakelele
01-07-2017, 04:33 AM
The same thing has been said last year, and the year before that. I think there are some indicators that the climax has been past, but that the ukulele is still very popular.

My subjective impression is that there is a little less traffic here on UU than there was a couple of years ago, and that some ukes which would have sold within minutes or hours now take several days or weeks until they're gone, both on the used market and new. But they still sell. I don't think we're at a point where luthiers will lower their prices. With a wait list of several months or years for some of the most wanted ones, perhaps their wait will get a little shorter, but there still seems to be high demand.

If you have followed NAMM over the past decade, you've seen a lot of new brands coming up and disappearing. Possibly, this goldrush era where everybody tried to enter the market is over. But there are some brands which are pretty firmly established by now and will continue to supply the market on all levels.

Last but not least, a lot of highend ukes seem to sell to Asia. I assume there is still a growing market that we know very little about.

Uk3player78
01-07-2017, 04:47 AM
I like the fact its a niche instrument. One of the reason i came away from guitar was everyone and their brother, mother, sister and uncle played. I only play occasionally now. When i bar the high 4 strings at the 5th fret and try to stretch out ukulele stuff i say, "ye case time for you" and shake my head. :)

Ukulele wins my heart every time.

Booli
01-07-2017, 05:14 AM
(NAMM happens this time of year Jan/Feb) and my reaction is thus:

"A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So bye, bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey 'n rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die..."

excerpt from the song "American Pie" lyrics by Don Mclean

kohanmike
01-07-2017, 05:39 AM
I can only judge by what I see, my seniors uke group gets new people every 2-3 weeks, absolute beginners who just walk in with a new uke in their hands. The local Sam Ash in Hollywood that I frequent has expanded their uke section recently, going from a small tree of ukes to an added wall that holds double the amount, and twice as many cases as before hanging nearby. They also carry Road Toad Pahoehoe bass uke strings, not carried by many retailers.

The leader of our group teaches uke classes at a mom & pop store, Boulevard Music in West Los Angeles that has a wall of ukes as well and holds kanikapilas often. McCabe's Music has been the go to mom & pop store in Santa Monica for over 60 years with a long wall of ukes, ongoing uke classes that perform every Christmas.

I think the internet had a lot to do with the resurgence of the uke years ago, and because of it's ubiquitous presence, will keep ukes going beyond any of the previous resurgences.

delmar500
01-07-2017, 05:47 AM
The associate pastor at my church gives guitar lessons so I asked him if he could help me out with my baritone uke. On the first lesson the first thing he suggested I do was "get a six string". I didn't schedule a second lesson.

UkieOkie
01-07-2017, 06:02 AM
The associate pastor at my church gives guitar lessons so I asked him if he could help me out with my baritone uke. On the first lesson the first thing he suggested I do was "get a six string". I didn't schedule a second lesson.

Pardon a.momentary hijack, but my son had his Uke at a small show if some wonderful local musicians. When they saw the Uke the joked that he should get a guitar yada yada. He's nine. Then he played a really neat original song he wrote and they both said "stick with the Uke that was amazing". He would need several more years to have the hand strength to even play some of the same chords on a guitar. The barrier to entry is so much lower the on the Uke.

Booli
01-07-2017, 06:12 AM

Pardon a.momentary hijack, but my son had his Uke at a small show if some wonderful local musicians. When they saw the Uke the joked that he should get a guitar yada yada. He's nine. Then he played a really neat original song he wrote and they both said "stick with the Uke that was amazing". He would need several more years to have the hand strength to even play some of the same chords on a guitar. The barrier to entry is so much lower the on the Uke.

Please pardon my momentary outrage - but some people who are unwilling to appreciate the ukulele are just plain idiots.

Recstar24
01-07-2017, 06:29 AM
I think that may happen for higher end ones built by (some) individual luthiers, if the demand decreases consistently. High end ukes from guitar makers may get discontinued as the companies shift ukulele resources back to making guitars, as we have seen with e.g. Martin at the end of golden eras before, and with Collings now. I suppose less demand may also affect mid-range ukuleles and their availability and diversity if it becomes less economical to make and offer instruments in the $400-700 range.

There is no evidence I've seen to support the idea the high end/custom market will decrease at all. Through all of the economic swings at least the USA has had, the niche market for high end luxury items typically remains constant. Rich people apparently still like to buy rich things regardless of market I guess lol. The biggest impact market wise will be on lower or mid tier items.

Doc_J
01-07-2017, 06:40 AM
The original article had a little to do with Ukuleles. Ukes were only mentioned in passing with no supporting data.
NAMM will have good uke sales data.

All I know is wait time setting up a new instrument at HMS has not decreased over time. So I'm guessing sales of high-quality ukes haven't gone down.;)

kypfer
01-07-2017, 07:12 AM
All I know is wait time setting up a new instrument at HMS has not decreased over time. So I'm guessing sales of high-quality ukes haven't gone down.;)

They may just have reduced staffing levels ... just saying, like ;)

There's certainly less ukuleles on the wall at the local music shop, but that just might be that the local market has flooded :confused:

jollyboy
01-07-2017, 07:12 AM
Doesn't read like much more than an infomercial for their cheap monophonic synth kits - which look gimmicky and faddish at best.

Joyful Uke
01-07-2017, 07:17 AM
The original article had a little to do with Ukuleles. Ukes were only mentioned in passing with no supporting data.
NAMM will have good uke sales data.

It seems to me that HMS has fewer brands listed, though. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe that's meaningless anyway. I'm guessing that stock will pick up post-NAMM? And even if they wanted, they couldn't have a stock of Collings, or even Kamaka right now.

It also seems like some ukuleles that I expected to sell quickly, (Kinnard tenor, Kinnard soprano, for example), are still there, (at least, when I last looked not long ago.)

Joyful Uke
01-07-2017, 07:19 AM
There's certainly less ukuleles on the wall at the local music shop, but that just might be that the local market has flooded :confused:

Definitely true at my local music stores. Ukuleles have almost disappeared.

Mivo
01-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Doesn't read like much more than an infomercial for their cheap monophonic synth kits - which look gimmicky and faddish at best.

Analog synths have definitely been coming back, though! Even Behringer released one, the Deep Mind 12. It's funny to watch. When digital synths came out, everyone said they were so much better and prices and sales of analog synths fell through the floor. Now everyone is saying that analog synths are so great and have so much warmth that computers cannot match, and it's hard to sell digital synths because "they are just software in a primitive box".

Down Up Dick
01-07-2017, 07:39 AM
If sales go way down, is everyone gonna sell and quit playing? If not, que sera, sera! :old:

Croaky Keith
01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
If sales go way down, is everyone gonna sell and quit playing? If not, que sera, sera! :old:

If sales drop off quickly, it might be the time to grab a bargain, like the Lani spruce top baritone I just got. :D

UkingViking
01-07-2017, 09:14 AM
A lot of trends arrive in Denmark a bit later than in the States, but with the internet probably not as much as it used to be.

Yesterday I watched the main danish TV song talent show, danish X-factor.
Someone showed up with an ukulele, and one of the judges remarked: " that is the instrument of the time... if you had been here 10 years ago".
And imma be like - whaaat?
I have watched that show for the last 10 years since it first aired. Nobody showed up with an ukulele back then. The first time that happened was last year. This year we see a lot of ukuleles as well. So though the sales perhaps are dropping a bit, here in DK it is still a rather new revival.

Debussychopin
01-07-2017, 10:32 AM
I practice classical piano, would I rather choose that everyone plays classical piano or that I'm of a rare kind?
I choose the latter.

Therefore it doesn't really matter to me if the uke popularity is a trend or resurgence or what have you.
It doesn't affect me being a student of it.

DownUpDave
01-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Your personal ukulele resurgence is over when you say it is. Keep on strummin'! :old:

I vote Down Up Dick for president.................and a chicken in every pot. HERE, HERE!!!!!!!

Rllink
01-07-2017, 11:04 AM
I practice classical piano, would I rather choose that everyone plays classical piano or that I'm of a rare kind?
I choose the latter.

Therefore it doesn't really matter to me if the uke popularity is a trend or resurgence or what have you.
It doesn't affect me being a student of it.

That's where I'm at. I didn't know that ukuleles had resurged until I started playing the ukulele, and actually there isn't very many ukulele players around where I live so evidently there are places where it hasn't. That's fine with me. I didn't start playing it to be a part of anything, and I've never understood the urge that some people have to go out and try too persuade everyone they meet to play the ukulele too.

70sSanO
01-07-2017, 11:14 AM
I will say that the market has changed in the ten years I have been playing. At one time spending $800-$1000 would get you a high end made in Hawaii ukulele. Actually less if you bought used. At the same time the lower end brands really were lower end and a Flea or Fluke was considered the way to go. And the aspiration was to one day own a K brand.

What has changed is the lower end ukes have improved tremendously, but at the same time it is not uncommon to see $3000+ ukuleles for sale. Many luthiers start off at $2000/2500 and go from there. I have no problem with luthiers getting what the instrument is worth, especially for the time and effort expended. And it is still not an occupation that leads to a high income paycheck. And while K's are still a dream for many they will not be seen in the same light as an MB.

What this has done is push the ukulele into a similar market as custom guitars. Not a bad thing, but the instrument is a little less cute and a lot more serious well into 4 figures. While this may not reflect if a researgence is going on or over, it sure feels like the popularity has settled into a similar ebb and flow as guitars.

John

Debussychopin
01-07-2017, 11:55 AM
That's where I'm at. I didn't know that ukuleles had resurged until I started playing the ukulele, and actually there isn't very many ukulele players around where I live so evidently there are places where it hasn't. That's fine with me. I didn't start playing it to be a part of anything, and I've never understood the urge that some people have to go out and try too persuade everyone they meet to play the ukulele too.

I totally agree. Never understood the ambition to get people to learn (and maybe even master) the very instruments I cherish and makes me unique.

Yeah, I get it, if they want to learn,sure , I can teach if they want me to (for argument's sake) I'm all for that but I won't market it to try to get the whole world to learn lol.

I do understand sharing the music though. Recitals and cds and such.

Mivo
01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Popularity of an instrument brings many advantages: far more variety and choice (more builders, more brands, more wood combinations, more options), better availability (of instruments, accessories, strings, etc.), substantially more learning and studying resources, more support networks (larger and local communities, conventions, etc), and a better price/value ratio at least in the lower price segments. When I was shopping for a guitar in the under $400-500 price range, I was amazed at how much you get for relatively little money (including bling like abalone/MoP inlays) compared to ukuleles. I'm not a professional musician, I'm not worried about competition, so if everyone played ukulele, that would be fine with me -- in fact, it would no doubt benefit me.

70sSanO
01-07-2017, 01:51 PM
When I was shopping for a guitar in the under $400-500 price range, I was amazed at how much you get for relatively little money (including bling like abalone/MoP inlays) compared to ukuleles.

I'm sure you are correct about supply and demand and the economies of higher production, but it is interesting that the quality of comparably priced guitars appear to be a much better value. Granted the sheer size of the instrument can mask the tone deficiencies to someone without a discerning ear, but it is still a tough sell when both instruments are placed side to side.

John

Joyful Uke
01-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Popularity of an instrument brings many advantages: far more variety and choice (more builders, more brands, more wood combinations, more options), better availability (of instruments, accessories, strings, etc.), substantially more learning and studying resources, more support networks (larger and local communities, conventions, etc), and a better price/value ratio at least in the lower price segments. When I was shopping for a guitar in the under $400-500 price range, I was amazed at how much you get for relatively little money (including bling like abalone/MoP inlays) compared to ukuleles. I'm not a professional musician, I'm not worried about competition, so if everyone played ukulele, that would be fine with me -- in fact, it would no doubt benefit me.

+1. That's why I would prefer ukulele to be popular vs. not. Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me. I don't play ukulele with others, and am not trying to be unique, (I've got enough other quirks for that, LOL), so it's not whether I fit the current trend or not.

CeeJay
01-07-2017, 02:55 PM
If you want to play am authentic thirties or forties Tin Pan Alley tune a la Smeck or Formby you need a Uke...... So get one ...If you want to play some Yes or Wakeman's "King Arthur" or "Journey to The Centre etc" ...ya need a Moog ...so get one...the article never said anything like "The ukulele resurgence is over," it just used the uke revival as a comparison and said that the new revival is synths....Now , I just so happen to live quite near to Gear 4 Guitars...I fancy me a Moog ...hmmmm ....White Rock on a uke..?

CeeJay
01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Just had a thought ...80 s...that was silly Midi type keyboards ...the REAL synths were from the 60's and the 70s , Hot Butter, Walter (?) Carlos, and the like ...80's ...pthhhh...LOL

Booli
01-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Just had a thought ...80 s...that was silly Midi type keyboards ...the REAL synths were from the 60's and the 70s , Hot Butter, Walter (?) Carlos, and the like ...80's ...pthhhh...LOL

You may be right brother Jarvo, but I still think that the Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX7, and Korg MS-20 will now rise in value, even if 'only' due to their 'vintage' status. :eek:

Nickie
01-07-2017, 05:55 PM
The fact that I play ukulele doesn't make me unique. What I play on it is what makes me unique. I choose to present it to as many people as possible, so that they might find the joy in it that I have.
I neither persuade nor cajole them.
And the resurgence isn't waning. We had a record 35 people in our jam session tonight. One played a brand new Cocobolo Ukulele, and another had just received a brand new Tiny Tenor.
TBUS and the ukulele in Florida are just getting started.

UkerDanno
01-08-2017, 04:05 AM
I'm sure synthesizer clubs will be popping up all over the world real soon! hahaha...:shaka:

sam13
01-08-2017, 04:51 AM
I grew up in the 80's. I loved it. Great clothing, outrageous hair. Fun music.

But this year I turn 50. I never thought thought getting to 50 would happen so quickly. But I am in excellent health and have a great life. So all is good there.

But I really enjoy taking Retro music (80's) and reducing them to Ukulele and voice.

I have no plans on Re-growing my hair into a Flock of Seagulls hair do or wearing Miami Vice clothing (,,I used to sell it at a local stock cause it was all the fashion.)

But regardless of what trend might be happening with Ukes, my passion for this instrument and music is my personal journey and not swayed by what is trending.

Let's keep spreading the joy of music with 4 strings, with or without a trendy haircut or cheesy clothes.

UkieOkie
01-08-2017, 08:22 AM
I grew up in the 80's. I loved it. Great clothing, outrageous hair. Fun music.

But this year I turn 50. I never thought thought getting to 50 would happen so quickly. But I am in excellent health and have a great life. So all is good there.

But I really enjoy taking Retro music (80's) and reducing them to Ukulele and voice.

I have no plans on Re-growing my hair into a Flock of Seagulls hair do or wearing Miami Vice clothing (,,I used to sell it at a local stock cause it was all the fashion.)

But regardless of what trend might be happening with Ukes, my passion for this instrument and music is my personal journey and not swayed by what is trending.

Let's keep spreading the joy of music with 4 strings, with or without a trendy haircut or cheesy clothes.

I was going to comment on "Flock of seagulls hair" but I decided to instead run from that notion...run so far away!

willisoften
01-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Does it actually matter?
Everything has its season, even dog breeds.
Growth in personal PC sales has slowed dramatically over the last 5 years but computing of one form or another is still part of everyday life.

sam13
01-08-2017, 10:42 AM
I was going to comment on "Flock of seagulls hair" but I decided to instead run from that notion...run so far away!

I was very trendy and cool in those days ... ;)

fowl
01-08-2017, 11:56 AM
I started a uke club at my church less than a year ago because people asked me to. The church only runs a little over 100 people. We started with a few people. Every month more people come and today we had about 30. And several people said that they need to plan to come next time because it looks like great fun. It has not died in central Indiana!

haole
01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
The novelty is over, but the uke isn't going away anytime soon. Even the most comically out-of-touch local newspapers have stopped the fluff pieces about the ukulele "craze" (take one drink for each mention of Tiny Tim, George Harrison, Jake's 'Gently Weeps' video, and that awful Train song) and a lot of the festivals have died off. Brands came and went. However, most music stores still have a couple of playable ukes, and plenty of people still play. It's moved into mainstream acceptance/indifference, which is pretty remarkable. Now that the bandwagon-jumpers have walked away, the remaining uke scene is a lot more genuine.

Twibbly
01-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Our music shop in podunksville carries a few ukes and soprano strings.

spookelele
01-09-2017, 05:40 AM

All synths are midi, except maybe a theremin. A synth makes a tone, you still need to play/trigger the tone.

As far as resurgence/decline... to be honest I don't really care. The population of my play group is almost always 1. As long as good instruments and strings are still available, I'll keep on strumming.

Booli
01-09-2017, 06:02 AM
I was very trendy and cool in those days ... ;)

Don't forget 'Member's Only' jackets and parachute pants...

...and Corey Hart's "I wear my sunglasses at night...I wear my sunglasses at night..."

yep, for a time that was me (sadly) LOL

TjW
01-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Sales volume may be the only point of interest for a retailer, but I'm hearing ukulele used for music in commercials.
It could be that the advertising agencies who do this are jumping onto a declining bandwagon, or it could be that the uke is now simply another instrument, with a distinctive sound.

AndrewKuker
01-09-2017, 08:32 AM
it could be that the uke is now simply another instrument, with a distinctive sound.

Yeah, I think so. A resurgence doesn't last forever, but this time it will stay, mostly because of the internet. I can't speak for the industry but we've had no decline in sales and in fact had to drop most of our online offerings under $200 to try keep up with setups, which is basically handing those sales over to other dealers.

sam13
01-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I think so. A resurgence doesn't last forever, but this time it will stay, mostly because of the internet. I can't speak for the industry but we've had no decline in sales and in fact had to drop most of our online offerings under $200 to try keep up with setups, which is basically handing those sales over to other dealers.

Hey man ... you know I would sell the inexpensive stuff ... let's set up a HMS - Toronto division ... heeheeheehee!

sam13
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Don't forget 'Member's Only' jackets and parachute pants...

...and Corey Hart's "I wear my sunglasses at night...I wear my sunglasses at night..."

yep, for a time that was me (sadly) LOL

No shame it in, Brother Booli, no shame ... we were cool. At the time. lol.

M3Ukulele
01-09-2017, 03:00 PM
I still love the ukulele. I plan on continuing to buy and sell. I don't believe everything the media tells me. There are a lot on people who just plain have fiun with the ukulele! Rest my case.

MARKbOC
01-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Darn, I was just getting the hang of this thing. Oh well, nice knowing y'all!
*throws uke into fire *
:)
Seriously, though. Trends are interesting. Wouldn't count on prices moving at lot, at least with mid/higher-end stuff. I think those prices are more about labor and material cost than just supply and demand market forces.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-09-2017, 04:08 PM
A long as the ukulele keeps replacing the recorder in music classes in elementary schools I'm happy. ;)

Choirguy
01-09-2017, 04:48 PM
A long as the ukulele keeps replacing the recorder in music classes in elementary schools I'm happy. ;)

This just needs clarifying...recorder very much remains in public schools, but now ukulele is being added--usually at an upper elementary level. My son in 3rd grade just placed his order for a $6 recorder; in two years he will be taking ukulele as the school received a grant for a set of ukuleles. He is already excited for that as he knows he can come home and use one of my ukuleles (or his own cheap Mahalo). We might start looking at some more chords this summer.

Booli
01-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Darn, I was just getting the hang of this thing. Oh well, nice knowing y'all!
*throws uke into fire *...

LOL. I dont really follow or care for trends, so even if the ukulele is not cool any more as far as the print, online and tv media are concerned, I dont care at all.

Lately I've grown to at least be skeptical if not downright despise about 90% of these content providers of 'so called' news any way due to several convincing conspiracy theories I've come across over the past few years...since either the 'news' stories are recounts of endless misery, or obviously written by a shill paid-off by some shady advertising agency...

Yes, full-on tinfoil-hat brigade. I just dont trust any 'reports' these days without mountains of 3rd-party proof...so maybe just call me crazy :2cents:

KaraUkey
01-09-2017, 09:50 PM
The novelty is over, but the uke isn't going away anytime soon. Even the most comically out-of-touch local newspapers have stopped the fluff pieces about the ukulele "craze" (take one drink for each mention of Tiny Tim, George Harrison, Jake's 'Gently Weeps' video, and that awful Train song) and a lot of the festivals have died off. Brands came and went. However, most music stores still have a couple of playable ukes, and plenty of people still play. It's moved into mainstream acceptance/indifference, which is pretty remarkable. Now that the bandwagon-jumpers have walked away, the remaining uke scene is a lot more genuine.

+1 The Uke scene is a lot more genuine. Lots of good value instruments you can buy nowadays, and the unique sound of a uke is recognizable and often features in background music and advertisements.

Croaky Keith
01-09-2017, 10:45 PM
The uke gravy train may well be over, but the instrument has & will have lots of followers, it's just too much fun compared to guitar, which is work. :)

The piano is dead, really, take a look online at a piano forum, many people just starting out on their journeys.

The harmonica is dead, tell that to all the 'harp players.

Like someone said, there's probably some stock of those old synths that they want to sell off. ;)

Rllink
01-10-2017, 12:57 AM
Lately I've grown to at least be skeptical if not downright despise about 90% of these content providers of 'so called' news any way due to several convincing conspiracy theories I've come across over the past few years...since either the 'news' stories are recounts of endless misery, or obviously written by a shill paid-off by some shady advertising agency...

Yes, full-on tinfoil-hat brigade. I just dont trust any 'reports' these days without mountains of 3rd-party proof...so maybe just call me crazy :2cents:
I've become very skeptical as well. Not only for the reasons that you have stated, but also because people read something off the cuff, read way more into it than was said, then pass it on in some exaggerated form to the next person, who does the same. It seems we all spend a lot of time discussing nothing.

PTOEguy
01-10-2017, 05:42 AM

I'm lucky - the youth pastor at my church did a dual major in music and theology and is a huge uke fan (and a great player) and is helping me teach ukulele at my kids school.

Booli
01-10-2017, 07:26 AM
I've become very skeptical as well. Not only for the reasons that you have stated, but also because people read something off the cuff, read way more into it than was said, then pass it on in some exaggerated form to the next person, who does the same. It seems we all spend a lot of time discussing nothing.

Reminds me of the old game played as a child called 'telephone'...

and now whole businesses run solely based upon regurgitating gossip and hype, yet totally collapse when investigated with an eye of scrutiny...

almost makes me want to retreat to the hills and live like Grizzly Adams. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Adams_(disambiguation))

https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fcdn.newsday.com%2Fpolopo ly_fs%2F1.11329446.1452880030%21%2FhttpImage%2Fima ge.jpg_gen%2Fderivatives%2Fdisplay_600%2Fimage.jpg&sp=80d4a8cf7f5a13d45f4214f47f0e6108

Booli
01-10-2017, 07:27 AM
I'm lucky - the youth pastor at my church did a dual major in music and theology and is a huge uke fan (and a great player) and is helping me teach ukulele at my kids school.

Seems to me that every good teacher, has had a good teacher themselves...the Circle of Life...Paying It Forward...:)