UPDATE on "am I big enough for a tenor" post

weeshan

Reaction score
Awhile back I asked if I was "big" enough for a tenor uke, being a very teeny tiny adult female with child sized hands. I received some very very helpful information from that thread. After sitting on the subject for awhile and researching the heck out of tenors, I took the plunge and bought a Kala ATP CTG...solid cedar top, acacia back and sides with a slotted headstock. This model seems to be highly regarded by many as great value for the price and a terrific player.

I received mine yesterday and let's just say I'm in love! I cannot say enough good things about this uke. Perfect for playing with others because that cedar resonates like crazy. More of a stretch for my fingers but not nearly as intimidating as I made it out to be lol. It was a great day at home as my boyfriend scored an Ibanez acoustic electric bass guitar in pristine condition for $75. We had a blast playing together last night.

Thank you all for helping me with this decision. I literally wouldn't have wanted to do it without the advice here. 20170107_134213.jpg

Attachments

• 20170107_190624.jpg
    20170107_190624.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 72
Congratulations, glad to hear that it worked out for you so well! Cedar is a wonderful tonewood, and your new uke looks gorgeous.

That's fantastic news! Enjoy :cool:

Superb to hear. I like how You had so much fun making music together. Congrats on the purchases.

Lovely new baby! Kala makes beautiful ukuleles. Is that padauk around the sound hole? My own Kala makes great use of that glowing red-orange wood. Good choice on the tonewood as well. Cedar is wonderfully resonant. I have it on my baritone and just love it.

I originally thought as you did, that a tenor might be too big for my hands and fingers, but the tenor has evolved into being my size of choice. It's still much smaller than a guitar, which I really struggled with. Look how it's dwarfed by your boyfriend's new bass! How much fun the two of you will have playing together. I bet the two instrument's voices will create some magical sounds. Have fun!

Beautiful! Glad that it's working out for you. Enjoy!

Time to start thinking about a baritone... :p

Very cool! Glad you got something you love so much. :)

Very nice, great instrument and so glad you are digging it.

I was deeply into the "you should try the tenor" side of the debate. I am very happy it worked out so well for you. Can you please contact wife and tell I was RIGHT about something :p

What a cute pair those two instruments make. Pretty soon, you'll be playin' the bass :) Glad you took the leap, and good choice with the cedar top in my opinion. It is so much fun being able to share a mutual passion with nice people around the world. Enjoy the new toys!

I played the concert version of your new Uke and it was a beauty. Congratulations on your NUD!
joe

The more I hear about cedar top tenors, the more my UAS kicks in. It's a beautiful looking uke.

Thanks everyone! The more I play this cedar top tenor...the more I wonder why I was so nervous about a larger instrument. Ive had something like 7 different ukes and this tenor is seriously stealing all of my time right now. OhioBelle...Yes! The padauk wood is stunning on the binding and around the soundhole. The color really pops. I am considering some Aquila Reds (had them on other ukes and liked them despite the breakage issues) because I think it would compliment the padauk nicely. DownUpDave...Ha! I could tell your wife that but would it really help? LOL Gammo....seriously, get a cedar top tenor. This one didnt break the bank but is gorgeous and more importantly, sounds great.

Top Bottom