Yet another Aquila String question.....

timmit65

Reaction score
I tend to lean toward fluorocarbon strings on most of my ukes. For me, they generally give me the the best playability, sound and feel for my uses. That said I do have Aquila Reds on one or two. Hopefully that will give you an idea of where I'm coming from, when I make the next statement....

I bought an Ibanez Concert AE several months ago. It's strung with "NBUKS4 Black Nylon manufactured by Aquila Strings®". On the Aquila website they're listed as a co-branded string set. I love these strings!!! Even before I set-up the instrument, they felt great and sounded fine. Now that I've set-up the uke, I really like the strings even more!

Which leads me to my question....does Aquila OEM the same set to another company or sell the same string with their brand on it?

Lanikia sells Aquila Nylgut strings under their name.

I bet when the Aquila guy see this he'll have an answer for you pretty quick. He's pretty responsive.

very responsibe dudes
good morning.
well, these black strings are made for Ibanez only.
The very new Carbonblack are totlly differents.
Thee is another Aquila string that re the lava: howe it is weritten they are very dark grey nylgut strings whose formul is very similar tho the white nylgut. some prefere them over the white ones.

I have the Lava on ukes I previously had Worth BMs on I haven't made up my mind about the tone but I love the feel of them, they seem thinner than other Aquila's but thicker than most flurocarbons, baby bears porridge ...
They seem more mellow rather than bright like the white. These comments may well be perception rather than fact - so sue me :D

So mimmo, the Lavas would be the closest to the Ibanez?

I have the Lava on ukes I previously had Worth BMs on I haven't made up my mind about the tone but I love the feel of them, they seem thinner than other Aquila's but thicker than most flurocarbons, baby bears porridge ...
They seem more mellow rather than bright like the white. These comments may well be perception rather than fact - so sue me

Thanks for chiming in. I may try both!

They seem more mellow rather than bright like the white. These comments may well be perception rather than fact - so sue me :D

:agree: mostly, they are nice on certain ukes, but inevitably after a few weeks the C string sounds dead and tubby to me, and I've replaced it with a Thomastik-Infeld Chrome flatwound classical guitar string (CF27) that is 0.027" and it seems to be a good match.

There have been about a half dozen discussions about these Thomastik strings here on UU over the past few months, which you can find by searching for 'Thomastik' --IIRC lots of folks like them a lot, and they are in fact smoother than the Fremont Soloist smoothwound low-G string.

Top Bottom