Rough Frets: Humidify my Laminate?

OhioBelle

Reaction score
After leaving my Bonanza laminate in my office over the weekend, I noticed the fret ends are very sharp. With our temps not even rising above the freezing mark, and central heating constantly on, my house is about 10% RH right now. I imagine my office at work is about the same.

I stuck my Bonanza in a plastic trash bag with a damp sponge after playing it at lunchtime. We shall see if it helps those fret ends.

Your fretboard is probably solid wood, even if your uke is a laminate. Sharp fret ends is typically the result of the fretboard shrinking due to dryness. Rehumidifying the fretboard may take quite some time, and it may never return to full size. Fret not, though (pun intended); the fret ends can be filed down and you'll be good as new.

Your fretboard is probably solid wood, even if your uke is a laminate. Sharp fret ends is typically the result of the fretboard shrinking due to dryness. Rehumidifying the fretboard may take quite some time, and it may never return to full size. Fret not, though (pun intended); the fret ends can be filed down and you'll be good as new.

:agree:

Sponge MAY work, but a file is another fix (albeit permanent, yet an often used solution). I'd give at LEAST 24 hrs in the bag, and make sure the bag is sealed with a twist-tie or something, otherwise it's gonna leak moisture...

It can also help to oil or wax the fretboard periodically, ideally before it dries out. I started doing it whenever I change strings (every 3-6 months).

One of the K brands also suggested bringing it with you into the same room when you take a long shower (not in the shower, of course...that would require an Outdoor Ukulele!)

I do wonder what humidity level schools are asked to have for orchestra and band instruments. I'm pretty sure most schools in the North have humidity levels nowhere near 45%. You would think that violins, violas, cellos, basses, bassoons, English horns, oboes, and some clarinets would need similar humidity levels.

Thanks all! I remember when I first found my Mainland soprano the frets were rough from having languished on the shop wall for so long. Humidifying helped, so perhaps there's hope for the Bonanza. It's sealed in the bag with a twist-tie. As soon as it's soaked up a little moisture I'll hit it with the coconut oil I keep in the office for my hands.

And Choirguy, I'm sure you're right. I can't imagine that schools in cold climates have the funds to humidify their band rooms. Do students who take their instruments home humidify them? Tis a puzzlement!

Off to buy a fret file. That should be fun.

OhioBelle; Off to buy a fret file. That should be fun.[/QUOTE said:
Look for a set of needle files. They come in handy for various jobs and should be available at most decent hardware stores.

One of the K brands also suggested bringing it with you into the same room when you take a long shower (not in the shower, of course...that would require an Outdoor Ukulele!)

I do wonder what humidity level schools are asked to have for orchestra and band instruments. I'm pretty sure most schools in the North have humidity levels nowhere near 45%. You would think that violins, violas, cellos, basses, bassoons, English horns, oboes, and some clarinets would need similar humidity levels.
I don't know about violins/cellos and so forth, but I do have a wooden clarinet. With woodwinds, they get condensation inside the instruments after playing and must be swabbed out. Otherwise they get nasty inside. The wood is far thicker than a stringed instrument. They can crack, of course, but so can your wooden furniture, I guess. I think that's more likely to happen if you drop it.

Ohio Belle. Gotta love winter and the low humidity.
A file will work.
What I use is a piece of 180 grit sandpaper on the ends. It will round the ends as it files them down.
Hold the string back and rub up and down the neck so you are hitting several in one sweep holding the paper at an angle.
The nice thing is you only need to do it one season.

I used an emory board. The modern kind that is rough on one side and smooth on the other. 45 degree angle to the neck. Start with the rough side and finish with the smooth. You will be done in no time.

My custom developed rough fret ends when I first got it due to humidity. I wasn't that knowledgable when I started out. Humidification returned it back to normal in short order and it has remained humidified ever since. I wonder if Strabond neck used on Martin HPL sopranos ever have fret end issues. I would humidify for a while ,them
pull out the file/sandpaper if needed. My .02 cents worth!

I like to use a nail buffing pad. I have used it many times with great success.
I try never to let a uke dry out, but if the fret ends get sharp I file and buff them before I re-humidify.
When the fret board expands back then the frets are nicely recessed a little bit.

Frets all filed! So I exercised great patience (for me) and left that uke in the closed bag until this morning. No change whatsoever! Why? The sponge was dry as a bone. I guess my trash-bag idea wasn't air tight. So I got a piece of sand paper I had in the office for another project, covered the sides of the fretboard with masking tape, and sanded away. It was 80 grit, so it didn't take long and I was careful. Then I finish-sanded with an old glass nail file. Worked like a charm! Then I rubbed the fretboard with a bit of my own hand creme mix of shea butter and coconut oil.

Now I won't have to worry about it anymore, as the purpose of the "Office Uke" wasn't to humidify. The laminate should be fine. I love it btw, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Bonanza laminate to anyone. The ultra-thin countertop material sounds so good, and it's such a unique shape and look. Makes me smile to look at it over in the corner, waiting for me to pick up and play. And THAT, my friends, is the purpose of "Office Uke!"

Top Bottom