Found a beater baritone

POP57

Reaction score
I had already ordered a new baritone and while waiting for it to arrive, my local 2nd hand shop posted a photo on FB of some newly acquired inventory. One of the photos included a ukulele so I stopped in to take a look. It appeared in OK shape so I decided to bring it home for the mere sum of $15. The only ID on it is a sound hole stamp "Made in Western Germany". Did a little online research and it may be a "Lyra". Regardless, I may have rescued it from becoming a piece of wall art. The owner of the shop had mentioned she was thinking about painting it. Any thoughts on what kind of tuning pegs to put on it is appreciated.

IMG_20170110_093133561.jpg

Cool find. I don't have any advise really but congrats.

I'm partial to Gotoh UPTs myself but they would cost you at least 4 times the cost of the uke. :p
I'd probably opt for some geared tuners like typical Grovers - some variant of what is likely on the Córdoba.

Those holes in the headstock look tiny, which means that friction tuners will likely fit without modification, but friction tuners hate me so I dont use them myself...but if you want to put on geared tuners like your Cordoba to the right, the Grover 9NB are like $15 everywhere and work very well. I have them installed on 5 different ukes now.

The Grover 9NB tuners will require a 1/4" diameter hole for the tuner shaft and a slightly larger hole or chamfer on the face of the heaplate to accommodate the bushing if you wish to install it as the busking is about 3/32" diameter wider in its outside diameter, and then 2 tiny screws in the back to fix the tuner plate to the headstock..

Amazon, Sweetwater and StewMac all carry the Grover 9NB tuners for ~$15...

9NB-large.jpg

1600-9NB_detail3.jpg

and

Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.jpg

which also come in Gold as well as Nickel, and with white or black buttons from: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and..._Machines/Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.html

Yup...definitely have to enlarge the hole. Thanks.

If you want a vintage friction tuner set I'll send you a set if the postage isn't too much.
Send a PM with the destination and we will see what we can come up with.

If you want a vintage friction tuner set I'll send you a set if the postage isn't too much.
Send a PM with the destination and we will see what we can come up with.

Thanks for the offer. Already have some on the way.

Congrats! Now you have to re-name all the chords!

Pop57, I, too, received a beater baritone from a friend. I ordered some cheapo geared tuners off the bay. IIRC, they were like the tuners available from China for under 5 bucks, but ordering the same from a seller in the US, they cost just under 10 bucks. I had to enlarge the holes, but they work fine.

As a comparison, I have built my own baritone, and the tuners I used cost more than most beginner ukuleles; so I know fine tuners. But like I said, the cheapos on the cheapo ukulele work just fine for knocking around with the grandkids.

Top Bottom