opinions? Ohamas or Pono for new tenor?

bluechip

Reaction score
Both have good reputations but what maker do you prefer and why?

Way too broad too generalize. Ohanas go from all laminates for $119 up to all solid acacia for about $500. Ponos go from about $350 to $1200.

Like Jim says, it's too general a query. Ponos have thicker necks with truss rods (in tenors), which is why I would get a Pono over a Ohana, but that is just a general thing too.

My Pono tenor sounds like buttah. Great uke. My only quibble is the thick neck, but that doesn't last.

If it fits in your budget I'd go with the Pono. I think they are an excellent value for a uke. Very well made and lovely tone. A Pono ACD was my first nicer uke and I've no regrets!

I think I need new eyeglasses because when I read the thread title I saw "Obama's" and not "Ohamas" and thought this was about the US President with that name...

Right now I feel pretty styooo-pid as the British folks say. Shame on me.

Can one become afflicted with dyslexia after 40?

Maybe that spinach I ate before with the puffy white spots on it was 'past due' and now it's makin me hallucinate...

Sorry, but I don't think Ohana is in the same league with Pono, good as some of them are.

I pick Pono because I like the way it sounds vs the Ohana.

For my money, I'd go with Ohana, nicer feeling neck to me and great quality. Ponos have a thick heavy neck. I know Ponos are pretty popular around here and the quality is good.

I pick Pono because I like the way it sounds vs the Ohana.
There are likely better sounding ohanas than ponos and vice versa. It depends on which uke you get.

You are likely to get different answers based upon personal preferences, but that is in essence what you asked for, so here is my $0.02...

As Jim mentioned, the pricing of each is different, so that could come into play. If you didn't want to spend over $300 for a ukulele, then I would look at Ohanas. If you wanted to spend around $1000, then it is Ponos. Then there is that mid-range of $350-$500 where they both play. If that is what you were looking to spend the next decision comes down to the other factors mentioned here... the build quality and the necks. When you get to the higher level Ohanas I feel their build quality is good. I have owned a few Ohanas and still have their most entry level solid wood soprano and have not had any issues. I did order them through reputable dealers (Mim & Elderly), so that is probably a factor in the quality. And I have heard/seen great quality in Ponos as well. When it comes to the necks, Ponos have thicker necks. They just do. This is both good and bad depending on your personal preference. I would chose Ohana because I do not care for a thicker neck. Mivo would chose Pono because of the thicker neck. Is there any way you would be able to try either/both before buying? That is always the best way to make sure what you are getting sounds, feels, and plays best. However you define best.

For me it would come down to which can I play in person before buying. I've never had an Ohana, but I've had two Ponos - one that I liked a lot and one that didn't mesh. It's important to make sure you're buying a uke that suits you - and not the rest of us. That said, give a couple of bonus points to Pono for their truss rods - if your neck ever changes profile due to humidity or other factors, you'll be able to get it back in a few minutes. Without a truss rod, well you're into major surgery to get it back.

I think I need new eyeglasses because when I read the thread title I saw "Obama's" and not "Ohamas" and thought this was about the US President with that name...

Right now I feel pretty styooo-pid as the British folks say. Shame on me.

Can one become afflicted with dyslexia after 40?

Maybe that spinach I ate before with the puffy white spots on it was 'past due' and now it's makin me hallucinate...

Same exact thing happened to me :)

I am a big fan of Pono, having had the chance to play at least 10 different models. I specifically recommend trying to find a used one here on UU. I have also had success buying selling on other sites, but in general, I have had very positive experiences through UU. Do as much research as you can listening to sound samples, and even better playing the different models your interested in purchasing. Good luck with finding one that works for you.

This spinach business may explain a lot of what Popeye was up to.

I don't understand all of the talk about Ponos having thick necks. When I was in the market for a Pono, I read that same thing over and over. People made it sound like they were like a baseball bat with frets. As it turns out, my Pono has the same thickness as my Ohana's neck. I guess that must mean I have a thinner necked Pono or a thicker necked Ohana. In any event, the thickness of the neck on either uke isn't even remotely an issue. The necks are just fine, a total non-issue.

Since I have both brands, which do I prefer? My Ohana is an all-solid wood concert uke with a sinker redwood top, rosewood back/sides and maple binding. I love everything about it. The sinker redwood has a great story and I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get one since it is a limited edition and it sounds great. I guess people would call it a mid-range uke. My Pono is an all-solid wood tenor with beautiful acacia top/back/sides with an ebony fret board and bridge. It's a beautiful and wonderful sounding uke which would also be considered a mid-range uke. The only knock I can come up with on the Pono is that it's a tenor. My Pono was my first tenor and the more I played it, the more I found that I am a concert guy and I wish I had bought a concert instead. So my only disappointment with Pono is my own doing. It's a size thing and nothing to do with the uke itself. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to keep it but after a lot of thought, I'm probably going to sell it and would possibly replace it with a concert.

Like someone else pointed out, there are going to be Ohanas that sound better than Ponos and some Ponos that are going to sound better than Ohanas. I doubt if you are looking at mid-range or higher that you'd be disappointed in either. They're both excellent brand names.

Top Bottom