UAS out of Control!

JackLuis

Reaction score
I have been wanting a "Good Ukulele" and after playing my cheap Caramels for two years thought I deserved a good Uke.

However due to circumstances, (read being baroque) I was unable to spare the cash. However tonight I realized my wife had just gotten paid and my circumstances have changed.

Last fall we had a fire in our kitchen and I had to replace it all from the sheetrock and all the cabinets plus appliances to a new kitchen sink. We were broke and scrambling and then the property taxes were due! Oh No!

But tonight I checked my bank and we had weathered the storm, Hurrah!

I have been UAS-ing over a Ohana CK-50G ceder topped Solid Rosewood Tenor for a long time and tonight I was perusing Mim's E-Bay store and saw a CK-50 for $269, gasp! Do I dare?

After a quick check with the Boss, who grinned and nodded. I rushed to my computer and pulled the trigger! Hopefully next week will see a NUD for the Jack!

Now I have more Ukes than I can play, what with six Caramels and an Ohana CK-22 concert but a Ceder topped rosewood Tenor will be really sweet. I can hardly wait!

Now SAS is beginning to bite me!

Ha ha, congrats!
Don't worry, if you're like me, the bank account will stop your trigger hand.
It's tempting to blow my savings on a really nice baritone, cause Tammy offered to teach me to play it, but I just can't do it. I might need it, I really don't like my new job and wanna quit.
I hope you'll show us pics of your newbie when you get it!

Thanks Nickie. I almost feel bad about spending the money. After four months of scrimping so as not to go into debt, it feels weird to have a even a few bucks to spend on non-necesary items.

I had thought I had my UAS under control after getting my Caramel CB-103 last January. I really like it and my other tenors are pretty good but, you know, cheap. I really like my CK-22 concert but really prefer a tenor for tone and size. After I got my bari I learned to play a G tuned uke and even switched my tenors to dGBE which makes them sound much more ... better.:)

I just realized I already have a lot of different strings set to try on the CK-50G which will come with Aquilas. Worth Browns, Fremont Bari-tenor dGBE blacklines, D'Addario and even Phds for tenors. After I get paid at the end of the month I'll probably order some Southcoasts. I always want to try them.

I'll put up some pix when it comes in and a Review video later

Last edited:
Very happy for you! You have been wanting this for a while, and you stuck it out -- it's very deserved. May you enjoy it to the fullest! :)

Congrats Jack!

You saved up, and you worked hard on the kitchen rebuild, so why not reward yourself?

With CFO approval, you could have no guilt here, and since you got used to the frugal life, maybe just keep it going and pretty soon you'll have another pile of cash for something nice, maybe a vacation even to a group of tropical islands in the Pacific Ocean, and WITH the CFO as your enchanted/enchanting guest to share the wonders you will experience....

What could be better? Life is good now. We only need to let ourselves enjoy it. :)

Cool :)

That sounds like a really nice wood combo - cedar and rosewood - should sound prettty sweeet ;)

Last edited:
That's sounds like a really nice wood combo - cedar and rosewood - should sound prettty sweeet ;)
+1 and Mim will have it playing like buttah. :shaka:

One of those strings is bound to make it shine. If not, SAS is a lot cheaper than UAS. :nana:

Very nice looking uke. And that's a good deal for the concert! I had the Sopranino version of this and it was really nice (just a little too small for me) - would be interested in seeing how you like it. Please post a NUD pics when you get it.

I was congratulating myself and looking at it on the web and SUDDENLY I realized that the CK-50G is a Concert and not a Tenor! By the time I realized it and tried to cancel the order, it was too late to do so on E-Bay!

I sent a message to Mim about my mistake and hope to hear from her tomorrow so I can order the TK-50G tenor. It will be a bit more money but still worth it. She only has one listed on her store site but it looks good and the rosewood is nicely figured. I've never done any business with Mim but her reputation gives me hope I can work out an arrangement.

I'll up date as things progress.

If she hasn't shipped it'll be fine. Even if she has, she'll take it back, you'd just have to pay shipping. Probably better to cancel the eBay transaction and go direct anyway.

I was congratulating myself and looking at it on the web and SUDDENLY I realized that the CK-50G is a Concert and not a Tenor! By the time I realized it and tried to cancel the order, it was too late to do so on E-Bay!

I sent a message to Mim about my mistake and hope to hear from her tomorrow so I can order the TK-50G tenor. It will be a bit more money but still worth it. She only has one listed on her store site but it looks good and the rosewood is nicely figured. I've never done any business with Mim but her reputation gives me hope I can work out an arrangement.

I was just going to post, hoping you're not expecting the Ohana CK-50G to be a tenor! Call Mim, 546-505-5444, I'm sure she'll make it right. Although the tenor will be more $$'s...

I almost replied without reading all the way through. I thought that price was amazingly low for an all solid wood tenor. Not sure how much the difference is, but it still sounds like a smoking deal. I recently picked a used tenor with that same wood combo used from a fellow UU friend, and I have really been pleased with the tone of that wood combination.

Hopefully it all gets sorted out!

Did you sent her a PM also via UU?

Ebay 'messages' often get caught by spam-blockers run by your ISP or mail provider and either on her side or yours, might not get through

Also, for something this immediate in nature, I am surprised that you did not CALL her on the phone, her contact info is on her web site http://mimsukes.com/, as well as on the 'Description' box of MANY of her YouTube video demos, AND also in her eBay listing descriptions...

If something this important happened to me, calling on the phone and speaking with her directly would have been my first step, rather than the 'wish-and-wonder' if she got my message from eBay, but that's just me, and to each his own...

Mim has a great reputation, so I have no doubt you will get this worked out to a happy conclusion, the only variables are time and hassle.

I wish you all the best here Jack - please keep us updated :)

I canceled the order on E-Bay channel last night and Mim responded quickly. I had a refund on my bank account when I got up. I called her this morning and discussed the TK-50G of which she had 2 in stock, she said she'd try to get it out today if not, tomorrow. It is a bit more money than the CK-50G but still not bad for a solid Ceder and Rosewood uke.

I had just gotten off the phone with her and I received a Paypal request for the payment. Thank Goodness for the internet. If this had been snail mail days, it would have been costly and time consuming.

Hopefully by Wed or Thursday, it will be here! Now I'm anxious in a good way!

edit:
Paid the request and now waiting. All Hail Mim, All hail Mim!;)

Last edited:
Like the others, I too am happy this is going to work out well. :)

Also, it's nice to hear the Mim continues to live up to her wonderful reputation, which should give confidence to all the newbies here on the forum over the past few months...

"Joy to the world, all the boys and girls..."

Does anyone know if Mim sends tracking info when she ships a Uke? Not that I'm anxious or anything.

I really hope that the ceder top is as nice sounding as the Kala ceder top bari I played at my local store. My nephew has a ceder topped Seagull guitar that is real nice and not as 'brittle sounding as my CK-22 concert with a spruce top. Although I'm starting to appreciate the CK-22 more, but it has taken about six months to really 'get' the instrument.

Does anyone know if Mim sends tracking info when she ships a Uke? Not that I'm anxious or anything.

I really hope that the ceder top is as nice sounding as the Kala ceder top bari I played at my local store. My nephew has a ceder topped Seagull guitar that is real nice and not as 'brittle sounding as my CK-22 concert with a spruce top. Although I'm starting to appreciate the CK-22 more, but it has taken about six months to really 'get' the instrument.

I received tracking info when I received the email from ebay saying it was shipped.

Top Bottom