PDA

View Full Version : How many ukes are enough?

valde002
01-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Hi, I understand the UAS, because I had many other syndromes. This time I want to head it off and just have the perfect number of ukuleles that is practical.

So far, this is my collection:

Kala soprano- daughter uses this, I leave it out to encourage her to play! Too small for me.

Concert Luna- my go- to laminate. I use this when I go out and wait for the kids, while sitting in the car. It's low end, but actually pretty good.

Kala TEM- tenor with low G. I have found that tenors are too big for me and I don't like all the ringing of the low G when playing the other strings. Trying to "give" to my bro.

New Kamaka concert. This is in it's own case and seems to be special. My first high end koa ukulele. It is from 2013 I found out from the sticker inside. Probably not for daily use, but for special occasions. Will it get ruined if it is for daily use? Not sure what frequency people play their koas.

I like concerts, have been thinking about another one to put a low G on. Something for daily use. Like cedar or spruce top? Any thoughts? For the jazz ukist in me.

And maybe another koa nice one. Want to try a Koolau or Kanilea. But not sure.

Can anyone who has been down this road before impart any wisdom?

Thanks!

cml
01-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Play your Kamaka every day. That's what it's for. My KoAloha is my most played uke, and I'm not very careful when playing.

Picker Jon
01-12-2017, 08:58 AM
How many ukes are enough?

Just one more!

Booli
01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I am not a 'collector' or hoarder of 'things' and since the ukes serve me as a tool for my songwriting, as well as otherwise emotional cathartic therapy, the instruments that are not in the core rotation now feel like surplus 'baggage' and are a burden to think about.

By observing the trends here on UU since I joined, it seems there is an ebb and flow to UAS, for both incoming and outgoing. I have previously been in the non-stop incoming phase, and will soon be starting an outgoing phase.

Sorry for my rambling, but I guess what I was trying to explain/justify that there is no arbitrary 'perfect number' of ukes, and that each of us needs to find our own equilibrium.

Opinions are many and varied on this topic, but there is no RULE for a magic finish line of 'OMG gotta get them ALL' like Pokemon.

So do what feels right for YOU, and not what 'random' strangers on the internet (LOL) tell you.

:cool: :rock::nana: :music:

Croaky Keith
01-12-2017, 09:24 AM
I have several ukes, but the one that gets picked up the most, is not the most expensive that I have.

If you you have found your perfect fit , stick with it, & enjoy it. :)

ErnieElse
01-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I wish I only owned five of my 13 ukuleles and the money I spent on the other eight back in my bank account. I would then be about £800 better off, have much less clutter about the place and my favoured five instruments would get my entire play time.

valde002
01-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Which 5 did you end up liking the most? Are they the most varied? Higher end? Felt better? I dont want to own a bunch of cheap ukuleles, but also don't want to break my bank with lot of high dollar ones. 5 sounds good!

valde002
01-12-2017, 09:45 AM
That sounds like me with fedoras! I have about 50 of them.

I guess I am looking to try out different kinds too. Too bad there is no "ukulele library" where you could check one out and play it for a while, then return it!

I hope you can keep in touch with this forum- we newbies need you!

Mivo
01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
In retrospect, I wish I had stopped after the first properly set-up ukulele and then stuck with that one instrument for at least a year, if not longer, and properly learned to play it. Then after a year, or two, of consistent practicing I should have evaluated what I like and dislike, what I wish was different, etc and then either got another instrument or found happiness with what I had. If I had done this, I believe I would have saved myself quite a bit of money, "stress", and frustration, and I'd probably be a better player now. I'd know less about ukuleles, but perhaps I'd know more about music.

Instead, too soon I threw money at the perceived gear problem, trying to "get it right" early on, when at the core of my "wanting something different" feelings there was probably simple dissatisfaction and impatience with my own playing ability -- which could have been remedied by spending money on proper teaching resources, and with practicing instead of researching what else I could buy. :) (This is how I have now approached guitar now too: one set-up instrument, no other guitars for at least a year, and I am having a good time doing just that).

I also feel I spent a lot of time and energy on trying to decide which is my perfect size or even instrument, going back and forth between them, analyzing them, sometimes following my head, sometimes my heart, and sometimes my ears, but none of those are consistent because our moods and momentary preferences aren't consistent, either. There is fun to be had too, you gain different perspectives and experiences, and on some level I feel that in order to truly know what you do want, you have to also know what you don't want, and that requires exposure.

Then again, I know that when I started out, I just wanted to make music and have some fun, nothing else, and certainly not the agonizing over what to get, how to get it, and then later on: what to let go. I do make this sound a bit worse than it is, but I really do believe that for me, the above outlined approach would probably have worked better. When I got up to 12 or 13 instruments, I started to let some go. I'm down to the ones in my signature, and I plan to further reduce the number. I wish I could pick just one, but I'm not quite ready for that yet. :) The letting go is harder than the getting.

Gary52
01-12-2017, 10:13 AM
No reason to keep a good quality uke languishing in its case. My two regular players are a KoAloha and a Covered Bridge, both concerts. The KoAloha sounds great strung with low G PhD strings.

Booli
01-12-2017, 10:19 AM
That sounds like me with fedoras! I have about 50 of them.

I guess I am looking to try out different kinds too. Too bad there is no "ukulele library" where you could check one out and play it for a while, then return it!

I hope you can keep in touch with this forum- we newbies need you!

Don't worry, I've got no plans to reduce my participation here on UU. I am merely going to shed some ballast is all.

Booli
01-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Mivo -

Maybe something to keep in mind is that what we learn and experience during the journey is often of greater 'value' than the perceived 'reward' that we had expected at the destination when we each (as individuals) started on our paths?

I feel that my knowledge of not only ukuleles has expanded, but also knowledge of music as well, in addition to recording techniques, and on top of that, a whole wide world of music in different genres that I never would have heard otherwise.

All of this having a much greater effect and understanding than anything I'd been exposed to being mostly 'guitarded' for 35 yrs prior...or in my 'formal' music education, whether from school or with private tutors...

Nevermind the wonderful camaraderie found here on UU with like-minded folks.

For me, it's all a win. :rock:

peanuts56
01-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Not ukulele related but I think we can all relate. My main instrument is trumpet. The late Lew Soloff was one of the very best to ever pick up a horn. Any baby boomer here has probably heard his solos on Spinning Wheel and God Bless The Child. Lew played with Blood Sweat and Tears for about six years. Lew had an enormous collection of horns. He once brought 21 trumpets and flugelhorns on a flight as his carry on luggage!

acmespaceship
01-12-2017, 10:35 AM
By observing the trends here on UU since I joined, it seems there is an ebb and flow to UAS, for both incoming and outgoing. I have previously been in the non-stop incoming phase, and will soon be starting an outgoing phase.

I think it's like dating. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince... and you have to play a lot of ukuleles before you find the uke you can love for a lifetime. Eventually, many of us find The One True Uke (or a small harem) and the UAS subsides.

Does that mean we found the right uke, or does it mean we grew up and stopped chasing rainbows? I don't know. I still lust after the occasional pretty new soundboard, but I am experienced enough by now to know that buying another uke will not make me happier beyond that quick initial thrill, nor will it make me a better player.

But 5-strings. I do not have a 5-string yet and I think I might like a 5-string.

Falling in love with every nice uke that comes along is much less disruptive than trading spouses every few years. I tell my husband this. Same with kittens. I get my endorphin rush with kittens and ukuleles, and this is better than many alternatives. :cool:

Mivo
01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Maybe something to keep in mind is that what we learn and experience during the journey is often of greater 'value' than the perceived 'reward' that we had expected at the destination when we each (as individuals) started on our paths?

I don't disagree, it's definitely true and it's also how I felt about the acquiring and experimentation process. I can't argue with that. But looking back, I feel that this is a different journey than the one I had set out on originally. It's like wanting to go to Venice and eventually arriving in New York. Both are great journeys, and some of the way may even be the same, and you never know where you'll travel after from where you are then. Still, if I could do it again, I'd sometimes look at the street signs and check the GPS to make sure I'm on the way to Venice. :)

jer
01-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Only you can answer that for yourself. Maybe something said here can help you figure it out though.

After a long journey of buying, selling, and trading various instruments (ukuleles included of course) over the last roughly 20 years, the answer I'm at right now is:
One decent uke.
If I was performing, the answer would be two. It'd be smart to have a backup.

I was never a collector, but more the type looking to find that one perfect instrument that was just right. Of course, I do not believe it exists now. Having multiple instruments doesn't do it for me either, even if they all bring various things to the table. I've become much more of a minimalist. For me, it's more about making a choice and trying to stick to it. That's my goal.

I only know of two cures for UAS.
1) No money to spend on ukes.
2) Make the choice to not buy more and stick with it no matter what.

There is a simple truth that is often missed:
Buying more ukes is NOT the cure for UAS. It only feeds it.

Recovering Bassist
01-12-2017, 11:02 AM
I dunno, after lurking here for awhile and only having 2 Ukulele's, a 40 dollar Caramal and and old beater Baritone, I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me! However, I really did, and do, like hearing about the new Uke purchases here, and seeing the pics, so maybe I'm a voyeur, and there is something wrong with me! But even when I was playing bass, I was never a huge gear acquisition sort, I bought some stuff sure, but it was mostly stuff I used on gigs, not just buying to buy, far too chea....oops I mean frugal for that. I "might" get an actual "good quality" Ukulele down the road, but I'm happy with what I have now, and having a nice one just sit in a case doesn't do it for me.

Alytw
01-12-2017, 11:10 AM
I find that my ukes sound better when played regularly. Both my Koaloha and my Webber (Koa and spruce respectively). Maybe because they are only a few months old? But I wouldn't be worried about playing the too much.

After rappsy's thread about one's current lineup I thought about why I had more ukes than guitars, when I've been playing for a year vs 20ish for guitar. For me there just aren't a lot of mid range or higher ukes in stores around me where I can spend some time to try a bunch back to back. Luckily, a few people around my area have some wonderful ukes and that has helped, and they have been generous with explaining the nuances to me. There are also the various sizes which sound very different to me, and the high and low g to consider.

I agree with Booli about the journey. I've really enjoyed the process. It's really been a learning experience while rekindling my interest in music. I appreciate the guidance from the people around me and this site to help guide the process.

Booli
01-12-2017, 11:30 AM
...Still, if I could do it again, I'd sometimes look at the street signs and check the GPS to make sure I'm on the way to Venice. :)

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

...There is a simple truth that is often missed:
Buying more ukes is NOT the cure for UAS. It only feeds it.

...I appreciate the guidance from the people around me and this site to help guide the process.

Unless you avoid NUD, Reviews and Inventory-listing (like Rappsy's) threads, there is constant reinforcement of UAS here on UU.

We are ALL enablers. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad this isn't a forum about 'illicit' things, lest many of us might otherwise live in a 'world of hurt' instead of having the privilege of seeing so much joy and Aloha.

PTOEguy
01-12-2017, 11:32 AM
I think you're heading about it the right way - you're defining your ukulele needs. Then make sure you have a uke that fills that niche - and over time you may find that you're playing one uke for the majority of your niches. There are also ukes for your itches - it took me a while to find a uke that gave me the projection and tone I wanted.

Alytw
01-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Booli,

I can't argue with that, but as rappsy said, it really does help us see what's out there. I'd never have considered a Webber if it wasn't for a fellow UU member. I've grown fond of it.

Adam

Rllink
01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
For me one was enough. The rest of them are ones that I wanted. I didn't need them. Well, I didn't even want some of them, I just ended up with them.

Booli
01-12-2017, 12:07 PM
I think it's like dating. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince... and you have to play a lot of ukuleles before you find the uke you can love for a lifetime. Eventually, many of us find The One True Uke (or a small harem) and the UAS subsides.
I am simply floored by such an apt metaphor. I like you. :love:

Does that mean we found the right uke, or does it mean we grew up and stopped chasing rainbows? I don't know. I still lust after the occasional pretty new soundboard, but I am experienced enough by now to know that buying another uke will not make me happier beyond that quick initial thrill, nor will it make me a better player.

Maybe chasing rainbows does not lead to enlightenment, but pursuit of the Rainbow Connection may be fruitful in other, as-of-yet undefined ways...

But 5-strings. I do not have a 5-string yet and I think I might like a 5-string.

Falling in love with every nice uke that comes along is much less disruptive than trading spouses every few years. I tell my husband this. Same with kittens. I get my endorphin rush with kittens and ukuleles, and this is better than many alternatives. :cool:

-re: alternatives-

Once upon a time, I was obsessed with keeping fish-tanks. I had over 20 fish-tanks and was eventually breeding guppies and fancy goldfish and selling them back to the pet store for credit on supplies.

There was a period of almost 8 yrs where I saw little-to-no TV at all, nor did I miss it.

I saw so little TV not because of the 'burden' of fish-tank maintenance in my 'fish room' (yes 'fish room' :)), but specifically because I would sit and WATCH the fish swim, and in a short time after watching, it became a sort of Zen-like meditation. I felt at peace, and like I was able to understand their behavior. I felt almost like a 'fish-wisperer' LOL

I would have kept at it but moving to a new home, as well as not seeing a clear path for the future other than a thousand-gallon outdoor koi pond, which in the Northeast USA is a major hassle to keep up in the winter and significantly more expensive than even the 20 fishtanks that I had at the time...I had to make a clean break when I moved.

The fish-keeping was my endorphin rush, my natural oxycontin high, and defense against feeling the stressful effects of life. During that time, I also read everything I could find, went to aqua-biology and marine-biology seminars all over the USA, talked to as many folks as possible. It was a real, and very deep passion at the time.

Now, ukulele does this for me. :music:

jollyboy
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM

I am simply floored by such an apt metaphor.

:agree: I was going to post some thoughts but I feel that acmespaceship has pretty much nailed it.

mds725
01-12-2017, 12:14 PM
I have a lot of ukuleles and I tell people that ukuleles are like shoes in that they serve different functions and you wouldn't wear running shoes to a wedding. I have a few tenors that serve different musical purposes (low G, high G, a Mya-Moe tenor that sounds more "twangy" than my Kamaka tenor and sometimes, for some songs, I prefer twangy, and a few other tenors that just sound different from each other), a few ukuleles that are designed to be played in adverse conditions, like camping outdoors, a few baritones (one is steel string, one is tuned DGBE, one is tuned GCEA). So in part the ideal number for you is the number of ukuleles that adequately cover for you all the circumstances in which you want to play them.

You should play your Kamaka every day if that's what you want. I don't avoid playing high-end ukes for fear that they'll wear out or get damaged. Ukuleles are meant to be played. Luthiers consistently tell me that they love seeing wear and tear on the ukuleles they've built because that means the owner is playing (and enjoying) them.

kohanmike
01-12-2017, 12:34 PM
My first year about 4 years ago I went up to 16 ukes, then culled them down to 4. I then started playing bass uke and mini electric bass the last couple of years, I'm up to 14. Then I started playing tenor uke again a few weeks ago and I'm up to 7. My approach to UAS is; I got it and I'll flaunt it, but last week I decided to save up for two new Nikon D500 camera bodies so instruments will have to wait a few months.

Mivo
01-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Just to maintain a balanced view, there are advantages to having multiple ukuleles, too. Variety is one of them, tunings also. My tenor is tuned in Bb (FBbDG), one or two of my sopranos in C (GCEA), I swap one of them now and then, and at least one soprano is in D tuning (ADF#B) at any given time. That can be a little confusing, and potentially slow down learning, but it's like having different spices in the kitchen cupboard. It also emphasizes the strength of these instruments as some sound better in this or that tuning. I don't quite feel the same way about having ten ukuleles of the same size in the exact same tuning, but even in that situation different ukuleles will have different voices.

zztush
01-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Ukulele is music instrument. UAS looses its valance. Music is difficult. Because it expresses our emotion but we can not see it. We often forget music.

https://s27.postimg.org/vttjsaf0j/combine_images.png (https://postimg.org/image/r7xfjxthb/)free pic (https://postimage.org/)

Tenor
01-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Joke:
(Possibly)

janeray1940
01-12-2017, 04:05 PM

New Kamaka concert. This is in it's own case and seems to be special. My first high end koa ukulele. It is from 2013 I found out from the sticker inside. Probably not for daily use, but for special occasions. Will it get ruined if it is for daily use? Not sure what frequency people play their koas.

I like concerts, have been thinking about another one to put a low G on. Something for daily use. Like cedar or spruce top? Any thoughts? For the jazz ukist in me.

For me, the answer to your "how many?" question has been three, for several years now. I've swapped #3 out a couple times but have settled on what works for me, described below. All koa, and all get near-daily use, although the soprano experiences periods of neglect since I'm happiest on concert scale.

Low G: Kamaka HF-2, Martin fluoros with a Fremont Soloist squeakless wound G string. My oldest uke, possibly the best sounding among the bunch.
Reentrant: Kamaka HF-1L longneck soprano (concert scale on soprano body), Martin fluoros. My most recent acquisition, and if I could only have one uke, I think this might be it.
Backup: Kamaka HP-1 pineapple soprano. This is the travel/beach/backup if another is in the shop (yes, it happened once) and a keeper for sentimental value.

Not sure if it counts as wisdom, but what I've learned in my 8-year uke journey is simply "what do I like?": I like koa, I like unfussy/no bling, and I prefer Kamakas over the other K brands. I haven't had the need to experiment through actual ownership, since I spend a lot of time at a local shop with lots of ukes, but it's really rare any more that I try something out that makes UAS kick in. On the nice-to-have list might be a National Resonator wild rose model, and a Kamaka HP-1L longneck pineapple, if either came my way and the funds were there. But nothing I can't live without.

vinceherman
01-13-2017, 02:57 AM
How many ukes are enough?

Just one more!

For the math geeks out there, this can be expressed mathematically.
How many ukes are enough is defined as N+1 where N is the number of ukes you currently have.

Twibbly
01-13-2017, 03:15 AM
For the math geeks out there, this can be expressed mathematically.
How many ukes are enough is defined as N+1 where N is the number of ukes you currently have.

Sometimes, it's N+x, where x is the number you're currently drooling over. Just sayin'.

valde002
01-13-2017, 03:18 AM
haha!

Well I just bought another one. From HMS. A Koaloha. One part of me is afraid that either the prices on these hawaiian-make ukes will go up significantly, outpricing these for me; or that koa wood will be hard to come by. I guess I missed the pre-uke fever and now they are hard to obtain. Kinda of like when there is a 2 for 1 at the grocery store and only the boxes of what you want are gone...

Twibbly
01-13-2017, 03:19 AM
I'm totally an impulse buyer when it comes to such things as ukes. I research the crap out of them, can't ever decide what I might want, then see something that looks neat and go MINE!

It's a good thing my budget is never more than $100 or so...

strumsilly
01-13-2017, 03:35 AM
one .
that's why I have about half a dozen, just because I can. I don't have any that are too precious to play, but my Collings comes close.

ErnieElse
01-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Which 5 did you end up liking the most? Are they the most varied? Higher end? Felt better? I dont want to own a bunch of cheap ukuleles, but also don't want to break my bank with lot of high dollar ones. 5 sounds good!

It took me all that additional expense to settle on my preferred sizes and tunings. Eventually I settled on Tenors tuned low G and Concerts tuned high G, so I wish I had the cash in place of all my Soprano and Baritone purchases.

My preferred five are three low G Tenors (Risa LP, Kala ASOV-T and Ohana TK-42, the latter two with Fishman passive pickups installed), and two high G Concerts (Deering Goodtime Banjo and Hudson HUK-MC, an all solid mahogany Kala by another name which plays really great). I basically use the Concerts for Clawhammer and the Tenors for everything else. Having a Goodtime, a Risa LP and three traditional ukes covers all sorts of different sounds, and I hope it will be a long time before UAS starts again. The Kala ASOV-T plays great in re-entrant Bb and the Risa can also be tuned down should I ever want some variation.

To be honest, I don't really want my other instruments which fortunately are mainly cheaper laminate bodies but there is a solid mahogany Kala Soprano, a non-cheap Lanikai Soprano and a Risa Stick Soprano in that group.

PhilUSAFRet
01-13-2017, 10:01 AM
To borrow a phrase from A.A. "One uke is too many, a thousand is never enough." Don't mean to trivialize the AA program, just establishing a parallel.

coolkayaker1
01-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Six. The answer is that six ukes are enough.

KaraUkey
01-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Ukulele is music instrument. UAS looses its valance. Music is difficult. Because it expresses our emotion but we can not see it. We often forget music.

https://s27.postimg.org/vttjsaf0j/combine_images.png (https://postimg.org/image/r7xfjxthb/)free pic (https://postimage.org/)

I love the graphic (it made me smile) and totally agree, for me it's all about the music.
Though I did kiss a few frogs before I found my princess.

Rakelele
01-13-2017, 09:48 PM
In a "minimalist" (kinda) approach, while still maintaining the broadest possible variety, my answer would be three: One reentrant soprano for that typical ukulele sound, one fine tenor strung linear, and one baritone for lower tuning, possibly the Pono UL4 with steel strings to add a completely different sound.

I was going to tell you to enjoy your new Kamaka as much as possible, but I see you're already adding a KoAloha, and that's great, too. Many of us had to go through several ukes to find out what we like, and to me, it is precisely the variety I enjoy, finding out about differences, often nuances, in tone, build, woods, finishes, etc.

Croaky Keith
01-13-2017, 10:05 PM
..."One uke is too many, a thousand is never enough."

Six. The answer is that six ukes are enough.

Now that I've had time to think about it.........

"The answer is 42."

:rotfl:

delmar500
01-13-2017, 11:58 PM
One is enough, but I'm not sure how many I will need to acquire to find the right one.

coolkayaker1
01-14-2017, 02:46 AM
Now that I've had time to think about it.........

"The answer is 42."

Omg, you've hit on a magical number. Add up all the major brands, multiply by each body size, and it comes out to, astonishingly, 42!

Rrgramps
01-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Mid April of last year, I purchased a concert Oscar Schmidt OU2, then around September, a Peavey Composer, and last week, a tenor Mainland Red Cedar. Like kids, all are loved equally. Unlike having more kids at 70, I will be probably be having more ukuleles.

How many is enough? My answer is in regards to "player" ukuleles, not collectibles; and it's according to how much storage I have vs how much I play those that have not been used for longer six months. My storage space will be limited to 3' x 4' x 8'. Maybe four columns stacked with Sixteen, six-inch cases, or roughly 64 ukuleles might fit into that storage space; less for baritones, more for smaller ukuleles. :p, :D

Nickie
01-14-2017, 06:31 PM
For me, two are enough, one hi G, one lo G, as long as they are the right ukes! But now I've been asked to learn bari for the Dances of Universal Peace. Hmmmm....

CeeJay
01-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Omg, you've hit on a magical number. Add up all the major brands, multiply by each body size, and it comes out to, astonishingly, 42!

Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy

LimousinLil
01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy

Well, yes, of course ... 42 is the answer to EVERYTHING!!!! And I am now feeling exceedingly guilty because I am justifying my need to buy a very expensive uke (the Pono Nui Big Baritone) by putting several of my lesser loved ukes up for sale ... how can I sell my babies!!!

Booli
01-16-2017, 12:01 AM
re: HHGTTG. one should also read 'Life, the Universe and Everything' as well as ' So Long, and Thanks for all the fish', both by Douglas Adams (author of HHGTTG) and the other 2 sequential chapters of what became the Trilogy...

... by putting several of my lesser loved ukes up for sale ... how can I sell my babies!!!

LOL - I know - just thinking about it feels like they're gonna cut off a finger or something :)

...so many ukes, so little time...

Gammo
01-16-2017, 12:31 AM
A Trilogy in 5 parts.

Rllink
01-16-2017, 05:02 AM
One is enough, but I'm not sure how many I will need to acquire to find the right one.Do you think that you will know the right one when it comes through, or will you continue the quest for the righter one?

plastuku
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Well, unless you're especially gifted, you can only play one at a time ...

bnolsen
01-16-2017, 09:36 AM
One more ukulele is always enough :-p

Actually if I had my choice I would buy a concert sized islander. *if* it does what I hope it does I might be able to dump off 2 or 3 of my other ukuleles and be satisfied.

70sSanO
01-16-2017, 06:03 PM
For 3 years I only played 1 tenor ukulele. I picked up a couple more and then stopped buying for 5 years, didn't stop playing. I did buy a few 3 string ukes, because I only know of one person who makes them and he is getting up there. I then bought a very nice tenor and an older baritone.

In reality, it is good to have one of each size. Even if some are not played much. There is something to cramming those fingers onto a soprano fretboard that seems to help me be more precise when playing larger sizes.

Five plus years ago there was a YouTube of Jake Shimabukuro at (I believe) a Toronto uke group. He was asked how many ukuleles he had. His answer was one. He explained that every instrument has different idiocyncracies and it was important to get to really know the dead spots, loud notes, etc. to get the most out of that particular instrument.

John

LimousinLil
01-16-2017, 07:50 PM
re: HHGTTG. one should also read 'Life, the Universe and Everything' as well as ' So Long, and Thanks for all the fish', both by Douglas Adams (author of HHGTTG) and the other 2 sequential chapters of what became the Trilogy...

LOL - I know - just thinking about it feels like they're gonna cut off a finger or something :)

...so many ukes, so little time...

Oh, have read ALL of those ... I am a big Douglas Adams fan!

Louis0815
01-17-2017, 01:37 AM
In reality, it is good to have one of each size. Even if some are not played much. There is something to cramming those fingers onto a soprano fretboard that seems to help me be more precise when playing larger sizes.
:agree:
perhaps not exactly every size available, but a somewhat decent mix.
And don't forget different tunings (linear/re-entrant) on your favourite sizes - rather than restringing you will like to have one at hand.

I think I have reached my limits, eventually I might even sell another uke...

delmar500
01-17-2017, 03:34 AM
Do you think that you will know the right one when it comes through, or will you continue the quest for the righter one?
That is a great question! Having tackled a couple of cigar box guitar builds, I think the answer to it, for me, has more to do with building than buying. So you are probably right to suggest that my quest might last as long as I do.

kkimura
01-18-2017, 02:24 AM
One is enough, but you can't have too many either.

willisoften
01-18-2017, 05:14 AM
The next one will be enough - probably

NewKid
01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
I had the great fortune to own and play many high-end ukuleles and had gone through about 20 intsrtuments over fours years. Now I'm down to one and appreciate how simple its made my life in terms of not having to choose between multiple ukes to play.

pritch
01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Most of us are mere amateurs. Was listening to an interview recently with a guy reputed to the the foremost expert on US made violins. He has 256 of them? I think he said the Library of Congress are buying a third of them and he will donate the rest to them.

plastuku
01-18-2017, 03:39 PM
The next one will be enough - probably

That's what I'm hoping for ... I just ordered my third today, and I got my first one about a year ago.

willisoften
01-18-2017, 09:30 PM
That's what I'm hoping for ... I just ordered my third today, and I got my first one about a year ago.

I don't think it's unreasonable to buy and try, learn what you like and perhaps buy something more suitable, or even a little different ( size, quality, neck shape, pickup etc).
I'd caution against buying on impulse - try to have a reason or at least a good excuse ;)

valde002
01-19-2017, 02:51 AM
Here's what I have done so far:
starter soprano. This is for the kids- too small for me... But it's the one that started it all!

I bought a Luna Concert to try it out.

I bought a tenor and read about a low G. So now it has a low G. But I find that it's too big for my reach.

Which brings me back to the concert, but now I want to try one with a low G.

I bought two Kamaka concerts, a Koaloha concert, and want to get a Kanilea concert. One of these I will probably put a low G on. Any suggestions? So I don't buy any more??? :stop:

willisoften
01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
As it happens I have a Kanilea K1 concert, be aware the neck is wide at 38mm, it also seems heavily built and it's quiet compared to many other Ukes I love the tone but sometimes it seems a little stiff like there is a lot more it wants to give.

valde002
01-19-2017, 09:28 AM
As it happens I have a Kanilea K1 concert, be aware the neck is wide at 38mm, it also seems heavily built and it's quiet compared to many other Ukes I love the tone but sometimes it seems a little stiff like there is a lot more it wants to give.

Do you think a spruce top would solve the softness?

Does the thicker neck feel different? I have small fingers and a small reach, that's why I go for the concert. Not sure about the thicker neck...I'd hate to spend the grand + to find I don't like it

willisoften
01-22-2017, 01:46 PM
I've never tried spruce.
The neck is wide but not especially thick. I find the wider neck a little more tiring / stretchy on certain chords and riffs, D, Dm7, Eflat E.
I only have one concert - I'm more a soprano person.

Griffis
01-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Really the answer will be different for each player. There is no right or wrong. I liked that someone mentioned Jake saying he only owned one and it got me to thinking of some guitarists who are associated primarily with one iconic instrument. Willie Nelson and Trigger, Muddy Waters and his red Telecaster, Maybelle Carter and her Gibson acoustic.

Some people are minimalists, some people are poor, some people want to squeeze every drop from one special instrument. Other people are able to buy new custom made beauties every other week and enjoy having dozens and dozens of ukes. Some are happy with one mass-produced player.

It's all good. Ukuleles are wonderful things.

At my peak around 2003 I had 15 ukes, mostly sopranos, a couple concerts, an old Harmony baritone and a vintage Martin baritone. The collection included an A/E Applause, vintage Martin, Gibson, Gretsch and Favilla sopranos, a couple banjo ukes, a custom Beltona resonator concert scale, among others. But, as I experienced with guitars and basses, for me owning that many became more of a chore than a pleasure.

Now I have 4 and it still seems like too many sometimes. The baritone I have was a gift. I have two sopranos, a recent Gretsch G9100 and a no-name Japanese one, probably from the 50s, both standard re-entrant. I have a Mitchell concert uke, low G for more fingerpicked, jazz and classical sorts of things, and I am still figuring out where the bari fits in, but I sure enjoy playing it!

Truth be told, I could be happy and content with just one soprano if I had to.

Croaky Keith
01-27-2017, 08:15 AM
I bought quite a few in my first year of learning to play - thought there would be big differences in sound qualities, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal in it.

What I have done is change favourite scale, I spent most of that year using concert scale ukes, but I now prefer tenor scale, but not body size, it would appear.

So my 'best' uke is now a tenor scale concert body solid mahogany, closely followed by a tenor scale soprano body solid mahogany, then the solid top baris. :)

wayfarer75
01-27-2017, 08:56 AM
I bought my fourth a year and a half ago. So far so good.

valde002
01-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Griffis- OMG 15 ukes is a lot! I would love to play just one down if it were a perfect fit. I think I am still learning and think that I want to branch out and see what works best. Those guys probably started younger and were able to grow with a teacher and evolve until they arrived at their destination. As I said in a previous post, I wish I could borrow some and return them, like a uke library. But unfortunately I have to buy them, and they are not cheap. Plus there is not a huge uke community where I live in SC. I don't want to keep buying more, but I am always wondering how different kinds of ukes match my playing style. For instance, I have some Kamaka HF2s, but find them to be soft in volume. To me they would be good for the old-skool Hawaiian type of music. I am looking to possibly get a spruce concert with more volume, and a low g for jazz type of music and soloing when I get to that level.

@ uke1950, I am like you but inversely. I think that I would like a tenor body (bigger sound, feels good to hold), but my scale is more of a concert. I cannot reach past 5 frets on my tenor that I plan to give to my brother. But sometimes I feel smooshed with the concert at the higher frets and like the feel of the tenor there. Am so confused! I guess time and experience will tell...

LucilleJustRocks
01-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Just one! I got my bariuke in november 2016, a Lanikai LU-TU 21 B. I can't play tenor or concert ukes because my hands are too big:).It they weren't I would get a Lanikai Koa tenor Koa uke as well.

Debussychopin
01-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Uas really struck hard once I got to see a mainland and ohana in person. Those ukes are so addicting.

valde002
01-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Uas really struck hard once I got to see a mainland and ohana in person. Those ukes are so addicting.

Hi DebussyChopin,

I;ve never tried those two brands before. Why are they so addicting? Sound? Feel? (Both?!). I have some Kalas and Kamakas, but that is just about it.

Louis0815
01-31-2017, 10:26 PM
I used to have a Mainland concert (this one (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=41&categoryId=3), slotted headstock w/o any bindings or other bling) and it was an absolutely stunning instrument. Light like a feather (504g), with a full yet balanced sound (Worth BM linear strings) - I am still not sure whether selling it to a good friend was really a good idea.....

Debussychopin
02-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Hi DebussyChopin,

I;ve never tried those two brands before. Why are they so addicting? Sound? Feel? (Both?!). I have some Kalas and Kamakas, but that is just about it.

If you have a kamaka I'm sure that trumps the ohana and mainland ukes. However the price points would be more enticing on the latters.
The ohana and mainland are just very solidly made. They feel very exceptional and looks are exquisite as well. Sort of like eye candy for just a couple of hundred bux.
Most importantly the sound has good depth compared to cheaper or even same level priced ukes brands out there

valde002
02-01-2017, 09:40 AM
If you have a kamaka I'm sure that trumps the ohana and mainland ukes. However the price points would be more enticing on the latters.
The ohana and mainland are just very solidly made. They feel very exceptional and looks are exquisite as well. Sort of like eye candy for just a couple of hundred bux.
Most importantly the sound has good depth compared to cheaper or even same level priced ukes brands out there

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my Kamaka, but I always feel it is a little bit delicate. Also have some Kalas, a soprano and a mahogany tenor that sound great and I feel like I don't have to baby them.

Would love to try out new brands; more apt to buy another laminate because I don't have to worry when I bring it around town...(I wait in the car alot for the kiddos, lol)

Debussychopin
02-01-2017, 10:15 AM
If you want a laminate price to quality best value i suggest you take a look at the as4 Islander soprano (or concert ac4) for $118 shipped brand new on reverb right now.
I am so tempted to buy it but trying best to keep my willpower it will help infinitely if someone nabbed it.

I'm in the car a lot too due to when the better half goes shopping sometimes and I have to chauffeur her around town, so the laminate uke is just perfect. I used to keep looking at my watch when she shopped but now she can't shop long enough!

Debussychopin
02-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Ok looks like someone already nabbed it.

Relieved I can cross that off my UAS cookie jar list now.

Now,someone please nab that Teton all solid mahogany sop on reverb for $150. I'm sure a reasonable offer can be accepted

JackLuis
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Th number of Ukes you need is one, the number of Ukes you want is always N+1 where N is the number you've already got. Go ahead ask me how I know this.

Gammo
02-01-2017, 08:37 PM
I'll bite JackLuis. How many have you got?

Croaky Keith
02-01-2017, 11:04 PM
I seem to have found the magic number - or maybe the formula - I haven't bought a new uke all year! :smileybounce:

Ukerz
02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Personally, I'd prefer to have just one really good uke. The POI POUNDER TENOR from Kala elite is pretty much my end game uke. I mean I can actually afford it, just not ready to drop the $1600 down on it. Plus I bet I could find something much cheaper that I'd probably like even better.

willisoften
02-02-2017, 01:27 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to have just one really good uke.

You may be on the wrong forum. Or have some sort imbalance like vertigo.
Get well soon :D

The POI POUNDER TENOR from Kala elite is pretty much my end game uke. I mean I can actually afford it, just not ready to drop the $1600 down on it. Plus I bet I could find something much cheaper that I'd probably like even better.

If you can actually afford it - pay the rent, clear the credit card bill, feed the children, and you are all up to date with dental and vets bills, your animals are spayed neutered and microchipped, and you have a few quid waiting for emergencies, then go for it. Especially if it really is your one true love. Otherwise the bank will give you lousy interest and stack your money neatly long after your stone is carved. Just my tuppence worth. To quote somebody brighter than me "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

Rllink
02-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Well, enough is enough. I know that you are all going to want to slap me around and throw me overboard, but I keep accumulating them. I have bought two ukes. My first one, and my upgrade. But I've won three Watermans and I built a cigar box ukulele. So that is six that have come into my hands, and just the other day a fellow was trying to give me one that had belonged to a relative. So I said no, but thank you. I don't want your relative's ukulele. That is hard to do, when someone is going to give you a free one, so you think that you should take it even if you have absolutely no use for it. What the heck, it is free. So I was very tempted. But honestly, I'm trying to give the Watermans away to friends, and I don't want the responsibility of having a friend's heirloom ukulele. But right now I have more than enough.

Croaky Keith
02-02-2017, 02:35 AM
Hah! If it was my scale, I would have taken it. ;)

JackLuis
02-02-2017, 06:54 AM
I'll bite JackLuis. How many have you got?

Eight! I bought my first Cedar topped Solid rosewood Tenor last week and still have a urge for another Zebra wood sopranino to complete my collection of Zebras!

Charley
02-02-2017, 09:05 AM
How many ukuleles are enough?

I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know when I get there. :)

Down Up Dick
02-02-2017, 11:24 AM
I've got all the ukes i want, and one that i don't want! :old:

valde002
02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Here's what I have so far and why:

1 Kamaka for the main level

1 Kamaka at the basement, on top of the piano. I use this to learn the notes and for voicing.

1 Luna Concert for tooling around, and for the kids to use.

1 Soprano that the kids take upstairs and who knows how long that will last...

I am awaiting for the arrival of a new Koaloha. That will probably be put a low g, or maybe one of the Kamakas.

So far, that is it...

Patchenu
02-02-2017, 01:04 PM
For me as both a player and a collector, I will limit myself to 20. I don't need that many as a player, I would only need two. One to practice on at night that was silent (so I don't wake the baby) and one to actually play. I kept seeing the advice, try before you buy. Unfortunately, that is nearly impossible for some of the higher end ones so I have started to collect them so I could try them. I can say every single one I have (or that is on the way) is unique and different from the rest. Usually that means different woods as most of them are tenor size.

Nickie
02-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I've got all the ukes i want, and one that i don't want! :old:

Hear, hear, DUD....One of mine is a wall hanger. That purchase was one time I wish I hadn't indulged myself.
One of my buddies wound up with that Romero Creations prototype tenor from NAMM, man it's a boom box. She has 3 banjoleles now, and swears she doesn't have UAS. She has a concert KoAloha I wish she'd gift me....she buys ukes faster than I can learn a new song. We have two ukes from her, and another friend has one from her too.....worst case of UAS I ever saw.

valde002
02-02-2017, 11:36 PM
For me as both a player and a collector, I will limit myself to 20. I don't need that many as a player, I would only need two. One to practice on at night that was silent (so I don't wake the baby) and one to actually play. I kept seeing the advice, try before you buy. Unfortunately, that is nearly impossible for some of the higher end ones so I have started to collect them so I could try them. I can say every single one I have (or that is on the way) is unique and different from the rest. Usually that means different woods as most of them are tenor size.

Yes, I agree about how difficult it is to 'try it before you buy'. I think that if I could try EACH one out, it would really limit my acquisition. The process would help because I would hear and feel all the different options and would not have to guess if it is what I am looking for.

As a parallel to UAS, I am a fedora wearer/collector and have about 50 hats. I only wear about 10, keep 10-15 because they are unique and I MAY want to wear them one day. It was the process that helped me find what I was looking for. There are no regrets, I still love 'em. Now it is time to streamline the ones that I find I do not wear.

Croaky Keith
02-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Part of the problem to having so many, is the fact that people just can not try them out before buying, as there are no stores with any reasonable stock anywhere near where most people live! :(

Those people who do have a nearby store are still not getting to try out every uke, because it would cost far too much to hold that much stock, even if the retailer could sell most of them.

I suspect the majority of us have to buy online, & that is why it takes time to find out what works for us, & that means purchasing more ukes than we really need, but I don't see any other way, unfortunately. :(

Debussychopin
02-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Part of the problem to having so many, is the fact that people just can not try them out before buying, as there are no stores with any reasonable stock anywhere near where most people live! :(

Those people who do have a nearby store are still not getting to try out every uke, because it would cost far too much to hold that much stock, even if the retailer could sell most of them.

I suspect the majority of us have to buy online, & that is why it takes time to find out what works for us, & that means purchasing more ukes than we really need, but I don't see any other way, unfortunately. :(

This is the point right here. Yes.
Curiosity is or can be expensive due to this type of universal arrangement/scenario.

Elessar
02-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Two, but who's counting?

Debussychopin
02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Yes, I agree about how difficult it is to 'try it before you buy'. I think that if I could try EACH one out, it would really limit my acquisition. The process would help because I would hear and feel all the different options and would not have to guess if it is what I am looking for.

As a parallel to UAS, I am a fedora wearer/collector and have about 50 hats. I only wear about 10, keep 10-15 because they are unique and I MAY want to wear them one day. It was the process that helped me find what I was looking for. There are no regrets, I still love 'em. Now it is time to streamline the ones that I find I do not wear.

Nice, I wear hats too. I have, not like you, but according to my wife, too many. I have around ten. 4 of these I wear daily. Stingy brim fedoras and a straw porkpie. The other 6 or so are unique as for only special occasion.. or nice but not well fitting (not in size) the shape of my face or head so it doesn't complement me. It looks off and costumey even though they are well made respected brands. I cant return as any return that is not the merchant's fault I will have to ship on my own dollar and the refund will be minus original free shipping. So in the end, it is just more reasonable to keep than to only just recoup half the hat cost for nothing.

And this is exactly one of the reasons for the accumulation and difficult letting go, of ukes.

I buy from village hat store . com I love the brixton, stetson, and Jaxon brands.

Down Up Dick
02-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Yeah, i have a thing for hats too and have lots. I have a Trilby that i like a lot and a nice Stetson straw that i wear in the summer. I can't wear baseball or golf type caps; My head's too big, and they just don't fit right. I do like snap brim caps if they fit correctly. I recently got much of my long hair cut off so my hats now fit better.

I almost always have a hat on outside and even (excuse me) sometimes indoors. :old:

Rllink
02-03-2017, 09:45 AM
But what the heck is everyone looking for when they buy a new one? A new sound maybe? That's the argument, isn't it? But isn't there always going to be a new sound? Even if you are one of the "try before you buy" crowd, I don't care where you live or what is available to you, there is always that one that you can't get your hands on to try. Try before you buy is just talk.

valde002
02-03-2017, 12:34 PM
But what the heck is everyone looking for when they buy a new one? A new sound maybe? That's the argument, isn't it? But isn't there always going to be a new sound? Even if you are one of the "try before you buy" crowd, I don't care where you live or what is available to you, there is always that one that you can't get your hands on to try. Try before you buy is just talk.

RLlink, you know by now that they are not all the same. If they were, we could just buy one and be done with it.

The exciting part of all this is to explore the different sizes, tonewoods, strings, makers, etc. For instance, I bought a Kamaka and love it. I actually bought another exactly like it so now I have two. I just received a Koaloha and it is great. Not as bell-like (or harp-like to me) but still awesome. Love the new strings- I am unfamiliar. The strings are thinner and feel different; I contacted the store to see what kind they are. Now I will probably explore different strings. And string combos with different ukes. Next I want to try a Kanileau. Why? they and the Kala have thicker necks. Will they feel the same to me? Don't know yet. Will the same strings sound the same on all of them? Don't know yet. If I could try them out in store, would I be so curious? Don't know. I might just feel that some are just too similar to want to buy them all; or instead the retailer may recommend a string with what I am looking for (that one-on one customer service expertise is priceless). That is much different from looking online at pictures and watching experts play. I wish I could! hmmm. maybe a trip to the nearest really good uke shop is not a bad idea after all, lol

rubykey
02-03-2017, 02:31 PM
I was happy with one, then two …. then …. I took to reading posts on UU marketplace and UAS took hold. I think I need 4 maybe 5.

Uke One - a friend gave me an old, well played Mahlo mahogany soprano pineapple. It had soul and decent tone once I put on Aquillas.

Uke Two - My then musician BF said I needed a good instrument if I wanted to develop playing. I tried a KoAloha and realized he was right. Smooth action, resonant sound but not in the budget for a novice. Through this forum I discovered HMS, and Music Guy Mike introducing the Koalana Concert Sapele low G made by KoAloha. Though I loved a soprano size, the concert tone was so much richer, I moved up a size.

Uke Three - Soon I was headed to a rustic music camp in the woods of Mendocino, and wanted one I wouldn’t have to worry about. My local music shop had a gorgeous, nice tone, easy to play Koa concert, open headstock, with tortoise shell binding and the initial K on top. My name is Karen. What could I do? I got it on trade for a guitar. The brand – Kaka ( a Kala knockoff) -- and yes the name still garners great laughs. She’s my prettiest uke, strung high G. I don’t play it anymore. I am ready to rehome her and here’s why…

Uke Four - Sadly the Koalana developed a buzz, seam separation and a pending crack. KoAloha offered to repair. I wanted another solid Mahogany for the time we’d be separated. A Craigslister was giving up on uke and sold me a Mainland Mahogany Concert which included $150 of accessories and books. I thought I could always sell the Mainland once the Koalana gets fixed. WRONG! I love the Mainland. It is strung high G and is my “jam ukulele” when I play with other instruments because the high G chimes above the guitars.

Uke Five - Perusing UU marketplace I, lusted after Julie’s custom ancient spruce Barron River soprano. I resisted – too rich for me and I play concert. A year + later I woke up one morning thinking “I want a really good soprano.” for quiet soothing play. That same morning Dirtiestkidever was rehoming the Barron River, and he lived local. I got it! That uke sings to me.

Uke Six - I finally send back KoAlana Sapele under warranty. The amazing staff at KoAloha offer a replacement KoAloha Opio Acacia Concert. It is stunning, and plays like a dream. At six ukuleles, I felt overwhelmed. This is too much uke. But wait - how did five become six?. KoAloha went over the top. When I lamented the loss of my beloved Koalana, Peng volunteered to clean it up and send me both. Isn’t that amazing? KoAloha is a fantastic company, and I love their ukes!

Uke Seven – I wanted a small travel uke. I resisted UAS and decided to travel with my beater Mahalo. Alas, it got so beat up in my luggage, the neck bent. It’s no longer comfortable to play. Craigslist once again beckons the afflicted UAS. A Kala spruce top travel soprano at a great price.

Do I have all the ukes I need now? Yes, um... except one more. But I do want two to go away. Numbers three and six. So hopefully I got trading power now. Forget willpower :music::iwant:

BearMakingNoises
02-03-2017, 10:46 PM
At one point I had 10-12 i the house at once, then I went on my "perfect soprano" quest and bought and flipped more than I can remember as well as playing well over 100 sopranos until find two I couldn't decide between. Then a while later I came across one that blew them out of the water. So now my answer is 1.

kkimura
02-04-2017, 02:28 AM
At one point I had 10-12 i the house at once, then I went on my "perfect soprano" quest and bought and flipped more than I can remember as well as playing well over 100 sopranos until find two I couldn't decide between. Then a while later I came across one that blew them out of the water. So now my answer is 1.

So, which one won? Can't wait to hear the name of the winner ukulele.

BearMakingNoises
02-04-2017, 05:16 AM
So, which one won? Can't wait to hear the name of the winner ukulele.

A 2015 Kamaka was the best.

valde002
02-04-2017, 06:17 AM
A 2015 Kamaka was the best.

Does it matter which year they are produced? Like wine?

kkimura
02-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Does it matter which year they are produced? Like wine?

Oui! 2015 was an excellent vintage for Kamaka.

valde002
02-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Oui! 2015 was an excellent vintage for Kamaka.

Really??

My two Kamakas are from 2013. Do you know how that year was?

DownUpDave
02-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Really??

I believe he is just having some fun. A good natured reference to wine and certain years being better than others. Not so with ukes, except maybe vintage Martin's from the 1920s. That is just a lot of years working it's magic on the wood.

cml
02-04-2017, 10:27 AM
They are bullshitting you ;).

kkimura
02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Really??

To my limited knowledge, there are no bad Kamaka vintages. Enjoy!

willisoften
02-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I believe he is just having some fun. A good natured reference to wine and certain years being better than others. Not so with ukes, except maybe vintage Martin's from the 1920s. That is just a lot of years working it's magic on the wood.

My Kamaka soprano is from 2013 I like it a lot.
Maybe those vintage ukes have been getting steadily worse for the last 90 years?

BearMakingNoises
02-04-2017, 03:27 PM
I added the year because even among the newer ones there was a cutoff period for the old style tuners... 2013 I think. So basically the 2015 Kamaka has the koa body and faceplate, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and UPT. If I just said a Kamaka soprano then it could have meant from any era.... that being said, there was a late 60's one that sounded insane but the neck was a mess to play on

Debussychopin
02-04-2017, 03:50 PM
You may be on the wrong forum. Or have some sort imbalance like vertigo.
Get well soon :D

Lol haha funny

DownUpDave
02-04-2017, 05:25 PM
My Kamaka soprano is from 2013 I like it a lot.
Maybe those vintage ukes have been getting steadily worse for the last 90 years?

Maybe they have been getting worse. Just don't tell the poor glassy eyed fellows who pay between $2000- $3000 for one about that

Debussychopin
02-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Well, I bought the teton all solid soprano being delivered because I couldn't resist. It is perhaps the last one available anywhere as chesbro Music has stopped manufacture of ukes. It may be a collectors item who knows but I got a great deal on it but I did already preemptively put it up for sale as I can only keep 2 or 3 and need to let go everything else so it is more a curiosity thing. Unless this ends up to be surprisingly amazing.