Wrong strings

frigiliana

Reaction score
I've ordered the wrong strings for my tenor ukulele don't know what went wrong brain fart or something but i've got concert strings , will there be any problem? they're going on a Godin Multiuke.

Cheers

We must have had the same brain fart. I did the same yesterday and was wondering the same? Or I may just pop it on my concert anyways and keep tenor for re-entrant.

Teach me to pay more attention , too much choice at Omega Music wait don't tell me that's where you bought yours from? that would be weard.

You pick half the lottery numbers and i'll pick the other half were bound to win .

What make of strings are they? Usually it should be fine - resulting in slightly lower tension, which you may find you prefer :) Also, because of the shorter length, you need to be a little bit careful with how much spare length you leave when attaching at the bridge.

Cheers jollyboy they're Aquila Reds . It's not an expensive mistake i no, but wondered more about the sound difference .

If you get a kick out of going down a technical rabbit hole, you should navigate over to the Southcoast Ukes strings page and evaporate a couple of hours reading about string theory... There should be enough info there for you to make a good guess at what would happen if you used concert strings on a tenor.

Cheers jollyboy they're Aquila Reds . It's not an expensive mistake i no, but wondered more about the sound difference .

So, yeah, the gauges are all just a little lighter so you should end up with less tension overall. Soundwise, you may find that this improves sustain (or you may not) :) I would say it's worth trying them - I've had some good results using concert strings on tenors. Like I say, you just have to be a bit aware of the string length - but they should 'just about' fit.

If you're lucky Booli might post something informative on this very topic...

Edit: Alternatively, to save him repeating himself, here's something he previously posted in another thread:

For me, in testing over 100 sets of strings in the past 3 yrs, I have found that:

1. LESS tension = MORE sustain

2. THINNER or LOWER DENSITY strings = LESS tension

3. TOO LITTLE tension, and intonation, volume and tone all suffer to varying degrees

Thus, most of the time, I will use CONCERT strings on a TENOR to get even MORE sustain on TENOR scale...

Last edited:
Jollyboy your a Diamond for taking the trouble to answer my question and digging up Booli info , that's put my mind at ease , thanks once again .

PTOEguy that website you suggested is like asking me to learn Egyptian Hieroglyphic in an afternoon shame because i'm always keen on trying new strings one day i might take the plunge Cheers.

...If you're lucky Booli might post something informative on this very topic...

Edit: Alternatively, to save him repeating himself, here's something he previously posted in another thread:

Cheers brother and mahalo! :cheers:

I made a mistake of buying concert strings for my tenor one time. The strings were shorter but I could have still managed to install them. But more importantly, was the difference in the string diameters. I noticed the diameter sizes were different for a concert and tenor even though it was from the same manufacture and for the same type of strings.

Well i've bit the bullet and fitted them and it sounds great (to my ears) like Booli says they seem easier to push down which is a bonus in my eyes , so Happy Days . Thanks once again for helping with advise .
Forget to say the other bonus is with Aquila Concerts the Low G is unwound even better reason to go Concert in future .

Last edited:
Your right Twibbly, my wife's going to have to carry on working to keep me in Ukulele's a while longer .

...I noticed the diameter sizes were different for a concert and tenor even though it was from the same manufacture and for the same type of strings.

This is usually BY DESIGN in order to achieve a specific tension at a given scale length. see above whereby Jollyboy helpfully quoted me from another thread.

Some strings like Oasis sell the WARM and BRIGHT sets, but to do not offer soprano, concert and tenor in discrete packages, and instead you are meant to cut the approx 70" of fluoro strand to fit whatever instrument and you get many sets from a single pack.

This may be fine if you are ok with the tension feel and intonation that a single diameter offers across the differen scale lengths, as tension will be low on soprano, and then the same strings on concert about 8 lbs more tension, and then the same strings on tenor will be about 8-10 lbs even more tension.

Cheers brother and mahalo! :cheers:

No probs :) You know when you're writing an essay and you have to include references to primary sources - it feels a bit like that - i.e. if I include a Booli quote it adds weight to my argument :p

@frigiliana: really happy to hear that the strings worked out :)

Since the subject of mixing and matching string lengths and gauges has been raised, I have a similar question. I have a set of the Aquila Red baritone strings with low D tuning and would like to put them on my Dean Dimebag Darrell concert ukulele (as far as the how's and why's go in this situation, best to say I didn't want wire wound strings on my baritone so now I have a set laying around begging to be used). I would tune them to standard low GCEA, so I would think the tension would change. Any thoughts?

Since the subject of mixing and matching string lengths and gauges has been raised, I have a similar question. I have a set of the Aquila Red baritone strings with low D tuning and would like to put them on my Dean Dimebag Darrell concert ukulele (as far as the how's and why's go in this situation, best to say I didn't want wire wound strings on my baritone so now I have a set laying around begging to be used). I would tune them to standard low GCEA, so I would think the tension would change. Any thoughts?

My first guess is that your are going to lose about 5lbs in tension per string going from bari to concert.

While technically is might 'work' and you can tune higher, I'm not sure you are going to be able to get good intonation.

Might was well try it since you already have the strings, and the only thing to lose is the time to install them, and tune them up...

'Usually' you will not hurt the ukulele by puttings 'other' strings on a different scale length. IMHO, Most of the time the strings should break from excessive tension before any damage is done to the uke, however, proceed at your own risk and I assume no responsibility if things go sideways. It is wise to do one's own research. :)

Top Bottom