Music Appreciation Thread - TV/Movie Themes & Soundtracks

jollyboy

Reaction score
Because it seems like we haven't had one of these threads in a while I thought I would start a new one. Last time around I think we covered just about every genre of popular music there is :) But... IIRC we didn't ever have a thread specifically devoted to film and tv music.

I think zztush inspired me a little by posting tabs for the Popeye cartoon theme and a Hitachi advertising jingle.

Also, I have of late become mildly obsessed with the hammered dulcimer, as featured in the theme to the BBC's Sherlock. As well as a couple of John Barry things - the opening theme to The Persuaders and the main theme to The Ipcress File.

So, yeah, it's really just a thread about sharing music that you like :)

Here's one of my all-time fave movie themes being performed by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain:

Last edited:
Funny you should mention movie sound tracks. I recently recorded this one from the animated movie "My Neighbor Totoro." Video is from when I went snorkeling last weekend.

And one more!

You had me at From Russia With Love :D

Seriously, all three vids are cool. The medley is fun and lends itself well to playing 'name that tune', but for me the real cherry is the John Barry Bond theme. I'm a huge John Barry fan :) I mentioned The Persuaders theme earlier - here's an excerpt of it played on uke, kalimba and bass (I think the kalimba is my new favourite instrument):

Funny you should mention movie sound tracks. I recently recorded this one from the animated movie "My Neighbor Totoro." Video is from when I went snorkeling last weekend.

Nice :) So this is the theme from a Studio Ghibli movie - cool stuff :cool: And a pretty nifty video too.

The Simpsons! haha. Bart may play ukulele. C, Cmaj7 and C sound good on ukulele.

Maybe Bart accompanies Lisa on sax?

FYI: Just to clarify - stuff posted doesn't have to be played on uke. In the admittedly unlikely event that someone hasn't yet gotten around to doing a ukulele version of the music in question - just post the original :)

Last edited:
Being a die-hard Sci-Fi geek myself, the shortlist are the theme songs and movies from the following:

1. Star Wars, Opening titles, Luke's theme, Leia's theme, Throne room award ceremony, Vader's theme (yes I am a huge John Williams fan)

2. 2001/2010: A Space Oddysey Main titles theme

3. Star Trek opening titles themes

4. BattleStar Galactica, Stargate (prime, Atlantis, SG-1), FireFly, DollHouse

5. Doctor Who, Humans

and there are others I cant remember off the top of my head, and no I cannot play any yet on ukulele.

One very awesome CD that has most of these titles and is by Eric Kunzel and Cincinatti POPs orchestra is called 'Time Warp' and is highly recommended if you like this kind of music.

51Qtpn3LQ0L._SS500.jpg

see: https://www.amazon.com/Time-Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Orchestra/dp/B0019M78IK

Being a die-hard Sci-Fi geek myself...

I love getting my geek on too :) Your post made me wonder if anyone had ever attempted a uke version of the Doctor Who theme - and it turns out that loads of people have! For sheer 'fun factor' I think this is my favourite:

Extending the geekiness beyond sci-fi and into fantasy, there is, of course, this:

Because it seems like we haven't had one of these threads in a while I thought I would start a new one. Last time around I think we covered just about every genre of popular music there is :) But... IIRC we didn't ever have a thread specifically devoted to film and tv music.

I think zztush inspired me a little by posting tabs for the Popeye cartoon theme and a Hitachi advertising jingle.

Also, I have of late become mildly obsessed with the hammered dulcimer, as featured in the theme to the BBC's Sherlock. As well as a couple of John Barry things - the opening theme to The Persuaders and the main theme to The Ipcress File.

So, yeah, it's really just a thread about sharing music that you like :)

Here's one of my all-time fave movie themes being performed by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain:

Ennio Morricone is definitely one of my favorite theme composers of all time

Ennio Morricone is definitely one of my favorite theme composers of all time

The guy is amazing, no question :) My favourite individual segment from all the dollars trilogy scores is (almost inevitably) The Ecstacy of Gold - it's incredible :)

Of course, he didn't just do Westerns. This is from a fairly obscure 60's giallo, featuring the vocal talents of long-term collaborator Edda Dell'Orso:

My contribution to this might be a little more low brow. Around the campfire we love to strum and sing old sitcom theme songs. Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan Island, Green Acres, Brady Bunch, The Adam's Family, etc. Just a whole lot of fun remembering TV shows from our youth.

You beat me to it!

That's a really nice theme, right? (And an insanely brilliant perfomance obviously.) Hats off to HBO - the quality of everything about GoT, including the music, really is top drawer. I was working my way through the books when the TV show was announced and I remember thinking to myself that it probably wouldn't be very good and, since it was 'genre', would almost certainly get cancelled after two seasons. Wrong! :) And I haven't read a word George R.R. has written since...

Anyway if that sort of thing is your cup of tea, you may also like:

My contribution to this might be a little more low brow. Around the campfire we love to strum and sing old sitcom theme songs. Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan Island, Green Acres, Brady Bunch, The Adam's Family, etc. Just a whole lot of fun remembering TV shows from our youth.

Thanks for posting DUD! All brows are welcome here :)

So I was intrigued as to how the Addams family theme would work on uke (I figured if you were in a group maybe some folks would be designated 'finger snappers'). Anyway, while looking around on youtube I found this cool Jake video:

It seems like movie and tv themes are quite a good option for people who maybe like to play a little melody and don't sing so much, since they are often relatively short self-contained instrumental pieces :)

You had me at From Russia With Love :D
Seriously, all three vids are cool. The medley is fun and lends itself well to playing 'name that tune', but for me the real cherry is the John Barry Bond theme. I'm a huge John Barry fan :)

John Barry was awesome! We attempted the Goldfinger theme at one point waaaaaay back when we were first starting out as a group, but it had too much E chord. Perhaps we should revisit that one again...

I mentioned The Persuaders theme earlier - here's an excerpt of it played on uke, kalimba and bass (I think the kalimba is my new favourite instrument):

Very cool, thanks for posting. I didn't know I needed a kalimba but now I do!

The thing about some of those old TV themes though - they were good compositions! Played by good musicians! Lowbrow, schmowbrow...

I actually grew up without tv (gasp!) and still don't own one. But from seeing those shows at friends' houses, those songs stuck with me - much more than the actual content of the shows did in some cases.

Top Bottom