Improving action on a Lanikai LU22CGC Concert Ukulele

Kahua

Reaction score
I picked up a Lanikai LU22CC Concert Ukulele yesterday from Guitar Center. I'm new to ukuleles and started with a soprano model but found it just a bit small for my hands, so I decided to go with the concert Lanikai model. I like the ukulele very much but I feel the strings are a bit high as you go down the fretboard. One of the luthiers at GC mentioned that they can lower the strings at the bridge to improve the action, but from past experience with guitars, if a luthier doesn't quite get it right one can have a bit of string buzz from the first few frets.

Like I mentioned, I'm new to ukuleles and would like some advice please. Is this something that should be attempted? On guitars the neck is at a slight angle from the body, whereas this ukulele, the neck runs parallel from the body. I hope I have explained that right. So I'm wondering if lowering the bridge might create a problem.

Thank you guys.

Lowering the bridge won't cause problems unless you take it too far. The first thing to do is check string height at the 12th fret. Measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the strings.

Hi Dan. Is the a specific measurement I shouldn't go below?

There's a recent thread here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125068-Hello-and-a-question which has lots of conversation and tips on this very topic, as well as some linked videos to demonstrate how to remedy this kind of problem.

You would do yourself a great service to read that thread, read the linked threads and watch the videos, and then come back with questions before proceeding.

I point you to that other thread not to be rude nor lazy, but to avoid repeating similar information in multiple posts across the forum, I hope you understand.

Please invest the time to check it out and learn about these issues. We will all be here waiting when you are ready for more help. :)

Hi Dan. Is the a specific measurement I shouldn't go below?

2.5mm ... ish. As a starting minimum. It depends on your playing style and how well the frets have been levelled, as well as personal preference. Lowering the saddle also changes the tone and volume as it provides a lever action against the soundboard.

If you want _really_ low action, it becomes a balancing act between height and fret buzz. All guitars and ukuleles are prone to buzz if you strum or pluck hard enough, that's just the nature of the vibrating string. If the frets aren't quite level, you'll hit the wall much earlier than if they're perfect.

First, measure. If you've got >3mm gap, you can safely start adjusting saddle height. Much below that and you'll need to take care.

Another thought would be to find an independent luthier who works on ukes. It's unfortunate, but at the big box stores like GC and Sam Ash, they don't work on the frets or the action before they sell them. You also never know if their in-house luthiers work on anything other than guitars. A setup may cost $40-$50 depending on the going rate locally, but it's a worthwhile investment. I've had that done with two ukes I bought used (one very expensive one and one pretty cheap one) and I couldn't be happier with the results.

In future, if you decide to buy more ukes, I would recommend dealing with Mims Ukes, Uke Republic, or HMS (if you're in the U.S.) because they do a good setup before they send it to you and it doesn't add anything to the price.

Another thought would be to find an independent luthier who works on ukes. It's unfortunate, but at the big box stores like GC and Sam Ash, they don't work on the frets or the action before they sell them. You also never know if their in-house luthiers work on anything other than guitars. A setup may cost $40-$50 depending on the going rate locally, but it's a worthwhile investment. I've had that done with two ukes I bought used (one very expensive one and one pretty cheap one) and I couldn't be happier with the results.

In future, if you decide to buy more ukes, I would recommend dealing with Mims Ukes, Uke Republic, or HMS (if you're in the U.S.) because they do a good setup before they send it to you and it doesn't add anything to the price.

+1 to all the above.

2.5mm ... ish

The Ukulele Site recommended 2.65mm, which is kind of a funny suggestion, as the string action gauge rulers (yes, buy one of those from Amazon) actually have markers for 2.5mm and 2.75mm. I just aim to be larger than 2.5mm, and smaller than 2.75. Incidentally, that is the space between the fret and the bottom of the string.

In my experience (limited as it is) with 3 Lanikai instruments, they come higher than that. That said, it is easier to take some material off of the saddle than to put it back on!

Guys, I want to thank all of you for the great advice given. I really appreciate it very much. All of you have been so helpful.

Cheers mates.

Thank you for the site locations. I checked out HMS and came up with "The Ukulele Site" in Hawaii. I'm really impressed. I watched their video on how they check and set up every ukulele they sell. This, to me, looks like the place to make a purchase. I will keep what I have as I purchased it on sale. I will try and locate a reputable luthier that works on ukuleles, and any purchase in future I will buy from The Ukulele Site. Awesome.

Wayne

There's a recent thread here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125068-Hello-and-a-question which has lots of conversation and tips on this very topic, as well as some linked videos to demonstrate how to remedy this kind of problem.

You would do yourself a great service to read that thread, read the linked threads and watch the videos, and then come back with questions before proceeding.

I point you to that other thread not to be rude nor lazy, but to avoid repeating similar information in multiple posts across the forum, I hope you understand.

Please invest the time to check it out and learn about these issues. We will all be here waiting when you are ready for more help. :)

Thank you for the link. Excellent!!

Wayne

Top Bottom