E string seems more dominant than others

hoeshack

Reaction score
When I play a chord and the e string is open it seems to be louder than all the others. I'm not sure if this is normal as I'm a total beginner but sometimes it seems overpowering. Maybe it's just me but I thought I'd ask. Its a concert ukulele I have and I've made sure it's in tune. I've only had it a couple days so maybe the strings are still bedding in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. C and E string swapped around? This has happened to me - the fat C string sitting higher in the smaller E string slot tuning was constantly going out as well. Enormous tension required to get the wrong string to E !
2 . E String high? Lay the edge of a rule lightly across the strings and see if you can pivot the rule on any string at the 3rd and 10th frets.
You might find any string a little higher by sight along the rule- thats ok, but not if you can rock it back and forth using the string as a pivot. Either the bridge or nut might need a little attention. (Guarantee - return to vendor / Take it to a luthier / shop repair man. Or, you can or fettle it your self if your confident.)

Yeah that's rare. Usually it's the C (or low G on ukes so equipped) that folks complain about "booming". What's the uke and what are the strings on it?

It's a concert moselele. The strings are as they came. It says on the site that they are aquila strings. It was strung when it arrived so I have to accept their word on that one. Pretty sure it's strung correctly. The chords sounds fine, it's just the E that sounds quite prominent. But I could be over thinking it. I have a habit of that.

I have this same problem on my Graziano concert. For now I would just live with it since you're a beginner but your best bet for dealing with it is to try different strings, even combining ones from different sets. That's what I did, used a slightly warmer string on E to mellow the effect. You may not have to go that far, it could be that just putting a different string set will balance the uke out better.

John

I've also never heard of the E string doing that. It's usually the lowest string (C for re-entrant tuning). Can you give us a sound sample?

if you are a self-taught beginner, it could be user error, i.e. your fretting technique of the other non-open strings could be muting them slightly by your fingers being placed ON the fret which is bad form, you want to be BEHIND the fret such that the breakpoint of the string is the FRET itself...

have a look at how you are fretting the strings...and report back

also, lots of videos on YouTube will show you if you do a search on 'how to fret notes on ukulele'

if yer not a beginner, then apologies from me...not sure what else as the Mooselele has gotten good marks for build quality in the handful of reviews I've seen, and NEW Aquila strings should not have such issues...

Thank you all for your comments. I think the issue is me not the ukulele. I've adjusted my strum and it sounds a lot better. I think the way I was doing it was somehow only lightly catching the top 2 strings and the majority of the force was on the bottom two strings. I've started consciously working on it and it's improving. So just bad form from a beginner I think. Thanks again.

Top Bottom