FS: Kala Tenor Guitar

connor013

Reaction score
Aloha, UU! Happy 2017 to all.

For your consideration I offer my Kala tenor guitar:

IMG_20170116_142443981_HDR.jpg IMG_20170116_143452.jpg

It's a fun instrument in excellent shape, but I reach for my Favilla baritone more often, and my wife doesn't particularly care for the steel string sound. So...

Here are the specs:

Solid spruce top
Rosewood (laminate) back and sides
Ivoroid binding
B/W/B purfling and rosette
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard and bridge
Bone nut and saddle
Slotted headstock
21[SUP]1/2[/SUP]" scale length
1[SUP]1/4[/SUP]" at the nut

IMG_20170116_142434612.jpg IMG_20170116_143605.jpg

There's plenty more info at Kala's site: https://kalabrand.com/products/tenor-guitar

My favorite feature: there's an adjustable truss rod. If you want to play DGBE, that's cool, but if you want to tune it down to A, you can adjust the action. No floppy strings!

For those reticent because of the nut width: it's true, 1[SUP]1/4[/SUP]" is not 1[SUP]3/8[/SUP]". I gave the Kala a go because I've owned a couple of old Harmonys and a beautiful tenor banjo Aaron Keim restored -- I never should have sold that one! -- and those had either 1" or 1[SUP]1/8[/SUP]" nuts. That's narrow! This is better.

IMG_20170116_143719.jpg

For those anxious about scale length: yup, first position chords can be a stretch. (Not long ago I avoided tenor ukes because of the scale length; then I avoided baritones; you get the idea -- UAS demands finger stretching exercises!)

For those anxious in general: play the Kala for a week and then decide whether or not to keep it, but you can't use it as a shovel or to jack up your moped or cause it any physical harm in general, and you'll have to pay return shipping.

$310 gets it shipped to your door, CONUS. International buyers, shoot me a PM and I'll get you a shipping quote.

Any questions in general, give me a shout.

More pics to follow, and I'll post a sound sample tonight. Cheers, UU.

Last edited:
This big guy is on hold for a trade.

Thanks for your interest, UU.

Top Bottom