Low G Recommended Resource: Low G Scales

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles

Estudiante

Reaction score
I play mostly high-G now, but my kids' ukes are set up Low. To supplement their curriculum (Ukulele in the Classroom), I wanted to give them some scale exercises to practice.

Kids seem to like scale exercises because it's fun and satisfying to run up and down a scale at lightning speed.

Scales material for high-G tuning is easy to find. For low-G, the "Exploring the Ukulele" method book (H Ohta Jr and D Ho) has a nicely formatted set of scales for Low-G:

- scale in each major key for low-G fingering
- additional scale exercises for practicing in 3rds and 6ths
- additional scale exercises that don't just run straight up and straight down the scale

Small bonus: several nice arrangements of Hawaiian tunes...:)

Last edited:
Are you wanting to have them reading conventional music on a grand staff which includes the bass clef and the treble clef? Do you also want the accidental scales such as G# Bb F# ?

Are you going to teach the scales in chord shapes as well? For the C chord, will it be 0-0-0-3 with the ring finger, or as Jim Beloff advocates that it be played with the little finger? With establishing the habit of playing it with the little finger, playing in any key can be done with three chord shapes.

We did not realize when our daughter started playing the piano at 2 years old that by 5 years old she would be recognized as a child prodigy. Jake started playing when he was 4, and said he doesn't remember ever not playing the ukulele. Our daughter was able to begin lessons with a college professor who was thrilled tohave a young student as talented as he was at that age , so he could teach her as he knows he should have been taught. She went on to get her Master's Degree in piano performance and has been teachings piano at the college level for 18 years.

I am not bragging about her...I am just saying from personal experience that we never know but what our child might be far more than what we can imagine because of their interest-apptitude- giftedness or whatever you want to call it, and what we do to nurture their talent. That you are interested in helping your children reach their highest human potential is praise worthy. Perhaps you will be someday look back and say " I remember when.......

Top Bottom