PDA

View Full Version : newbie first build - lefty electric solid body tenor uke

fabu jinx
01-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Howdy - I just joined here, so I'll need to look around some. I just finished my first uke build, out of necessity. I am a lefty, and I wanted a solid body electric uke to mess around on, and after looking without finding, I set out to make my own. I gathered the needed parts, decided on a humbucker pickup with a tenor length, and waited for the parts to arrive. A local wood shop sold me a 3 inch slab of mahogany for $17, and a maple board for another $15.
I do alot of 3d cad at work, so I set all of this up in solidworks so as to aim for the best action on the strings. I measured everything and then set to routing the pockets in the mahogany. I ended up 3d printing the pickup enclosure. Everything went as planned, until I got to the wood finish. I tried tru oil, and didn't like it. I then tried shellac from crystals and after 15 tries, I got it to work in my favor. That was about 3 weeks of patience. The top coat is clear lacquer from a spray can. The maple neck- I ruined the natural wood with a stain, so I moved on to primer and white spray can, and finished with the lacquer. At xmas, I was nearly done with it, and assembled the parts as one.
Im not great with electrics, but bumbled my way through it until it worked. Intonation setup was also tedious, but i prevailed. I cut the acrylic pick guard, got the controls to function, and ruined 2 nuts in the carving process. All in all, despite setbacks, I think that it came out nice. Its unique, mine and certainly playable.
Next on my list is a lefty risa type stick, and then a stick styled bass for thicker strings. Left handed models of course.

Rrgramps
01-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

photoshooter
01-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Very nice, that's quite an entrance :) Welcome
Looking forward to seeing your future projects.

pahu
01-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Nice end to the story! 3D CAD and 3D printing are beyond me, but it's nice to see technology
and craftsmanship merging. Can't wait to see the next one.