How to pronounce the name Aquila?

Thanks Mimmo!

Since I am sure many folks have this question, maybe the moderators can make this a sticky-post?

FYI: In case some folks do not know, the OP Mimmo, as in Mimmo Peruffo, is the Founder, CEO and Lead Engineer of Aquila Strings from Italy, and it is HIS OWN VOICE that is in the Soundcloud recording in the first post of this thread.

So please have no doubt as to the authoritative pronunciation from the man himself, who also is a native Italian speaker.

This is an small excerpt taken directly from the Aquila web site:

the Aquila web site said:
"Mimmo was born at Arborea, in Sardinia isle. Chemical, pupil of the stringmaker Arturo Granata of Melzo (Milan) and researcher in Caldogno, a village near Vicenza (where he founded the Aquila Corde Armoniche S.a.s) devotes himself, since the 1983 year, to the study and re-creation of gut strings in use in the Renaissance, Baroque and Classic eras. In the field of research on modern materials, in 1997 he discovered and brought onto the market Nylgut, a true “synthetic gut” to substitute for nylon on historical plucked instruments and on classical guitar, ukulele, ouds, charangos etc. His works have appeared in ‘Recercare’, ‘F.O.M.R.H.I quarterly’, ‘The Italian Lute Society Bulletin’, ‘Orfeo’, ‘The Lute Society of America Bulletin’, ‘Quattrocentoquindici’, ‘Il Fronimo’, in the volume ‘Gendai Guitar’, ‘Das Musikinstrument’ etc. He took care of the gut string- section in the musical instruments catalogue of the GNM in Nürnberg and the volume on the Bergamo 1998 exhibition “Evaristo Baschenis and still life painting in Europe”. He was the first to carry out an accurate research on the gut strings pieces from the first half of the 18th century in the Museo Stradivariano in Cremona and , in April 2000, the gauging of the original violin gut strings which belonged to Nicolò Paganini. He has been reading papers in the conservatories and universities in Vienna, Dresden, Milan, Venice, London, Brussells, Florence, Brescia, The Hague, Gijon, etc. When he have spare time (!) he plays lute, guitar and ukulele."

source: http://ricerche.aquilacorde.com/chi-e-mimmo-peruffo/

Last edited:
I hear it pronounced some many ways. I looked it up once a while ago for the correct pronunciation. I was saying it wrong prior to that.

Thank you Mimmo!
I have wondered many times. I thought I knew but was actually pronouncing it as if it were spanish, and then watched a few videos from other nations and really got thrown off! Almost gave up! smile. So I appreciate being redirected to proper sound of "Aquila".
I think I can go restring a ukulele now...smile

I've wondered, and appreciate you letting us know the correct pronunciation.

I would care if I was trying to buy an eagle from an Italian, but as I'm buying strings from the internet.... For the record I think I'll pronounce it Ack- weela and hope that Italians selling Ukulele Strings and Eagles all forgive me.

Last edited:
Now I know how to pronounce the brand of strings that I don't like! :D

Thanks, there are at least 6 pronunciations around here!

Timely post - I was in a music store yesterday and two sales people and I were all using different pronunciations. BTW, Aquila New Nylgut strings sound great on my Luna concert with much resonance and sustain, and i love the Aquila Reds on my Silvertone soprano.

From Aldrine and Aquila themselves in a NAMM interview: "AH-kwee-la"

Before that, I always pronounced it in my mind, "a-killa"

Last edited:
After all that, I need a large shot of tekweela...

A very myopic view, Will, unless you never talk to other people about strings.

I talk to other people about all sorts of things I worked with a number of Italians and normally talk was about food and football,
I imagine I pronounce Napoli, Torino, Juventus, Milan and Roma badly along with equally poor pronunciation of: spaghetti, ravioli, chianti, linguini, tagliatelle and girandole;
One things I can see clearly from my short-sighted view point lifes too short to worry about the precise pronunciation of brand names from Hawaii Japan China Italy blah blah blah

Life's not too short to concern over proper pronunciation and doing things correctly if one can.
Don't you want to learn?

Even more so, philosophically, if life was very short, wouldn't want you to do it the right way?

But life is long! What a luxury most of us have. And not only that, tons of resources around us to learn things the proper way.

Last edited:
Life's not too short to concern over proper pronunciation and doing things correctly if one can.
Don't you want to learn?

Even more so, philosophically, if life was very short, wouldn't want you to do it the right way?

But life is long! What a luxury most of us have. And not only that, tons of resources around us to learn things the proper way.

I agree. I also find it disrespectful when the owner of the company takes the time to provide information here on UU for the benefit of others and someone makes comments that demonstrate such apathy or willful ignorance.

It's just bad manners.

Top Bottom