Howlett Ditson Concert Mahogany

JesterBlod

Reaction score
Hi,

I have never reviewed a Ukulele before - but here goes -

I first saw and heard this ukulele when on a Pete Howlett build course. A month later and I was still thinking about it, so took the plunge and picked it up at Cheltenham GB Uke fest in June 2016. To give an indication of how much I thought of it - I sold 12 Ukes, a mandola and tenor guitar to fund this!

I have played it EVERY day since picking it up!

It is an all Mahogany Ditson Concert by Pete Howlett.

It is an understated model with no extras such as binding or rosette.

The wood is anything but understated - I understand it is rare Fiddleback Mahogany, and it is quite stunning.

The set up and the finish (matte) was flawless, it has started to shine up slightly where I rest my fingers to play, but that's my poor playing style. I can’t find any flaw with it. Frets are smooth and perfectly dressed, planetary tuners are lovely.

It is a very light and well balanced ukulele. Although it feels featherweight, it certainly doesn’t feel delicate (just as well with my clumsy hands).

It came with worth brown strings, which I really didn’t get on with. I changed them to Aquila reds which I had on another mahogany uke with success, but they weren’t right either. Finally settled on Freemont Blacklines which totally suit my playing and the uke too.

Its a loud uke, very clear between strings and I find it very easy to play. Its tone is very clear, rich and strong.

If it was stolen, I would hunt the offender down and …………. , and I would buy another - definitely.

If I can work out how, I will try to add in a sound sample. I have included the original pictures of it as the ones I took were awful (I will try again though)
Mahog front.jpg
Mahog back.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH51Qqb3gNk (Low G)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LPqBEOJ5k (High G)

Last edited:
Congrats!

Nice story. Looks great. Thanks for sharing! :)

Wow, takes the place of 14 instruments ?!? I think there's a story about that. Something that involves pearls and great price? :p Congrats.

Beautiful figuring! Congrats on a wonderful uke.

Congrats, it's a beauty!

What a beauty, wish we could hear a sound sample :drool:

Yes, the mahogany is lovely. Congratulations to you.

Great review! I received my Howlett Ditson Koa early 2016 and I agree with your assessment of the build and overall quality! I currently have mine strung with Oasis warms with a Feemont Soloist low G, and while it sounds nice linear, I will be going back to re-entrant shortly as it just sounds better that way. The sound that comes from it is amazing. I would describe it as loud, crisp and clean. Congrats on your very special uke!

I think this is going to be the year of the Ditson concert.... I am building quite a few iterations of this and have just sent out this one in curly koa and bling:

Ditson2.jpgDitson1.jpg

I have plenty of curly koa set a side for these... Thanks for the review Rose and Brian. Smaller ukes are coming into fashion again I think.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great playing Jester! Man that uke has some fantastic tone! ! ! ! I hear all the good aspects of my vintage Mahogany Martin, but in addition to that I hear a smooth sheen in the higher tonal range that really is pleasing to my ears. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Thank you for your kind words @mezclero @ukulele eddie. It certainly has a tone you don't commonly hear (well I don't think so anyway :))

Just selected a cuban mahogany set and a curly koa set to make in my 'spare time' Hahah....

Sorry - cannot ship outside the UK anything with mahogany or rosewood on it. As desirable as these are, they are only available in mahogany to UK citizens. This is all thanks to our governments being seemingly incapable of taking a measured and informed stab at illegal loggers and the countries who turn a blind eye to it.

Sorry - cannot ship outside the UK anything with mahogany or rosewood on it. As desirable as these are, they are only available in mahogany to UK citizens. This is all thanks to our governments being seemingly incapable of taking a measured and informed stab at illegal loggers and the countries who turn a blind eye to it.

Don't let that discourage you... Pete does equally amazing work with Koa (and I'm sure other woods). My Koa Ditson is one of my favorites!

Looks lovely. I'm getting new Uke syndrome again.

Top Bottom