Fobs

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
I hear some of you referring to Aldrine as a fob. I think its funny because Australia have a different appearance of what a fob is, nationality rather than appearance sorry.

These may be racist terms to you such as abo. but its like saying aussie IMO. So sorry if you get offended

You have:
asians
indians
americans
africans
maoris
kiwis
abos
etc...

And you have the fobs, which consist of mainly the polynesian countrys. Samoa and Tonga basically. Fijians, cook islanders and maoris get referred to as fobs but really they arn't, im sure that fiji and cook islands are melanesian?? and maori is just natives of nz.

You have Aldrine the fob, *note* Aldrine, Do you get offended if i refre to you as a fob? I mean no dis respect
Didn't have a photo of you, so i got it from your myspace. Alert me if you want it off
Aldrine.jpg

And you have the Polynesian fobs:
redyouth.jpg

Mintosyear10-1.jpg

super7.jpg

You get the idea
But yeah, just though i would show what its like over in Australia.

LOL don't scream at me if im not aloud to do this haha

Here in Hawaii fob usually refers to asians like japanese, chinese, korean, and anything that looks like that type of Asian. "Fresh off the boat," so they have to have an accent and that style. Aldrine just dresses fobby (he wears Diesel for christ's sake :p).

Aldrine's not a fob. i think ur confused in the definition of what a fob really is. Like Kateri said, it means "Fresh Off the Boat", as in u still have an accent and act like a stereotypical fob. And I believe it only refers to asians, just like how some mexicans call otheres Wetbacks.

*Note: I mean no offense to anyone on this forum.

Last edited:
haha wow i didnt see this thread till now when i just posted on a thread about this.

Here in Hawaii fob usually refers to asians like japanese, chinese, korean, and anything that looks like that type of Asian. "Fresh off the boat," so they have to have an accent and that style. Aldrine just dresses fobby (he wears Diesel for christ's sake :p).

this is the definition that the U.S. uses for asians.

FOB vs. JOJ

FOB is more of a negative term than JOJ because it implies the person is an immigrant with little to no financial means.

JOJ ("Just Off the Jet") refers to immigrants with money. For example, someone from Canada that moves to USA.

I always thought these were typically used within the surf culture of the world...hmm.

To me...they are both negative and I don't like them. They are words created to show superiority over someone else in most cases in my opinion..

Hey Guting, on an unrelated note... Saw your vids on youtube.. Dude your right hand technquie is incredible and really helped me hone my strumming skills. Thanks brother!..e.lo....

it's very interesting to hear how FOB is used in different parts of the world. interesting post indeed. here in the bay area, FOB can refer to the huge influx of Chinese, Vietnamese, and other Southeast Asian immigrants that came during the 70's and 80's. however, lately i've heard people using it to describe any foreigner who is keeping it a little too real. it's fun to use amongst friends but i think its still an insult to strangers.

it's very interesting to hear how FOB is used in different parts of the world. interesting post indeed. here in the bay area, FOB can refer to the huge influx of Chinese, Vietnamese, and other Southeast Asian immigrants that came during the 70's and 80's. however, lately i've heard people using it to describe any foreigner who is keeping it a little too real. it's fun to use amongst friends but i think its still an insult to strangers.

Haha..."any foreigner keeping it a little too real." Are you talking about the "tossed salad" mentality as opposed to the old school "melting pot" that America used to be?

Haha..."any foreigner keeping it a little too real." Are you talking about the "tossed salad" mentality as opposed to the old school "melting pot" that America used to be?

i think that's a good way of putting it. but i'm all for keeping it real even though i was born here. a few years ago, me and some friends (we're all asian), did a cross country road trip and experienced first hand what it feels like to be a minority in a very white country (no offense to any white people on here). there were some really pleasant experiences, and some bad. but we survived. even here in the bay area, some of the people are so xenophobic, that they feel it necessary to put down foreigners for doing their thing. it's a real shame.

i think that's a good way of putting it. but i'm all for keeping it real even though i was born here. a few years ago, me and some friends (we're all asian), did a cross country road trip and experienced first hand what it feels like to be a minority in a very white country (no offense to any white people on here). there were some really pleasant experiences, and some bad. but we survived. even here in the bay area, some of the people are so xenophobic, that they feel it necessary to put down foreigners for doing their thing. it's a real shame.

Yep...been to those cities myself. I am white and even I felt out of place amongst white people. I did have CA plates which never helps...haha. I was at a rural area gas station in OK and a guy said to me "Hope you jus' passin' thru boy.."

I just nodded and thought to myself..."I wonder how many more seconds have to pass before they decide to take that shot gun hanging in the window of the 1981 F250 and use it..."

Last edited:
Aldrinbe's not a fob. i think ur confused in the definition of what a fobe really is. Like Kater said, it means "Fresh Off the Boat", as in u still have an accent and act like a stereotypical fob. And I believe it only refers to asians, just like how some mexicans call otheres Wetbacks.

In that live chat, somebody asked if he was fob, and Aldrine said he was fob.

I guess Australia is the one with out the right definitions lol. Assuming its asians that are fobs.

Over here it isn't a racist term, its all good over here with terms when you say leb, abo. As long as you don't say it in a harsh way to somebody you don't know.

I love other nationalities ^^ asians and polynesians expecially. Fobs always say "im fob, give me a break". They refer themselves to fobs aswell, or just fresh.

Asians because io have never ever ever ever met an asian that isn't nice to me yet.

never heard of JOJ either haha

I did have CA plates which never helps...haha. I was at a rural area gas station in OK and a guy said to me "Hope you jus' passin' thru boy.."

haha, same here. 4 of us asians in a rented minivan with new york plates rolling through tennessee, nebraska, and idaho. stopping for gas was an intense experience.

FOBs are kewl! As long as they don't turn into gangsta FOBs or TABs (trendy azian b*tches) =)

Aldrine's not a fob. i think ur confused in the definition of what a fob really is. Like Kateri said, it means "Fresh Off the Boat", as in u still have an accent and act like a stereotypical fob. And I believe it only refers to asians, just like how some mexicans call otheres Wetbacks.

actually , aldrine is a fob.

OMG... I can't believe that this is an actual thread....... hahaha.

To answer ALL of your inquiries:

YES... I consider myself a FOB.
Moved to Hawaii from THE PHILLIPINES in '92
I have an accent that I can turn on and off
I CAN SPEAK TAGALOG AND ILOCANO
My arteries are clogged with adobo oil
My favorite food is my moms BANANA KETCHUP SPAGHETTI
I can do the otso otso
I used to break dance / street dance

From this list... you guys should be able to answer everything. Hahaha. I don't get offended when people call me fob. It's totally okay. It's not really an offensive word if you think about it (at least not to me anyway) I just think of it as "Filipino on bacation" LOL

I don't have that FOB accent because I used to watch a lot of SESAME STREET. Like, my mom would drill that stuff on me. She knew that we were moving here, so she wanted to expose me to how english is SUPPOSED to sound like and be spoken. So I guess you could imagine my confused look when I first came here speaking STRAIGHT english and listening to all the other kids speak in PIDGIN. LOL

That's about it I think... :3

Hahaha. A thread about FOB's. Wow. Anyway you can be considered FOB from many different places. My grandfather was considered FOB and he was from Jamaica. I have friends from Puerto Rico and Cuba and Dominican Republic that are considered FOB. Funny thing....all the FOB's are islanders it seems like.

well Aldrine answered all my questions ^^

and you can consider yourself a fob anywhere, assuming it means fresh off boat.

Ukeguy510 - Fobs are cool, I like thyem more than my own nationality. Althoguh a lot of them over here think they are gangsta. Bandanas, wal around causing trouble. And even they way they walk haha :)

But, live your life the way you want to :p

hahaha! great thread! aldy is "hella fob" as rex navarette would say. fobs are tight man. i work in a very anglo town, so when us pinoys/pinays work together, we call ourselves the fob family. jus "keepin it real" i guess.

"ay na ko, she pangit, ah?"
"ay, poki! oo"

hehe. im tryin ta learn tagalog (satisfy the gf's fam) an ilocano (my roots, son). ima pour my heart into de uke tho, as music is a universal language.

Top Bottom