What Has Your Uke Taught You?

Twibbly

Reaction score
What have you learned from each of your ukulele purchases?

My first uke, I learned that I need one that is set up.

My second one, I learned that even one that is properly set up will not necessarily be perfectly in tune all the way down the fret board.

The third one, I learned that I like the wider headstock and being able to toss it into the car and not worry about the temperature.

My last one I learned that sometimes, it's just FUN to have something different. I'm also learning not to stress a crazy amount about humidity and such with the last one (the reason other than money why I don't have more expensive ukes). If it cracks, it cracks, but I'll have fun with it until then!

I learned that I am not able to fix a vintage ukulele, even if it was a good deal. I now have two wall hangers (a Kay, and a no-name camp uke). I justify that they are better than any wall art at the same price (about $30 bucks each) and probably bring me more enjoyment than a pretty picture. I like looking at them.

I learned that a significant component of ability is confidence, which comes from both practice and relaxation. It's a big lesson.

Well, that's a tough one to answer.

What have my ukes taught me?

Maybe that I'm not so useless as to not be able to learn to play a musical instrument. ;)

(I was always told that I was tone deaf, & that I couldn't sing.)

Not to be so self conscious - it was joining in on the Seasons on here that got me to record & post my first ever video online! :)

Not only that, but I've written a few ditties, & even had the temerity to sing & strum a couple of times. :eek:

Though I am more comfortable just playing melodies. :cool:

Edit: I also noticed how ukes seem to breed all by themselves.

Last edited:
I learned that you can not measure a ukulele by price. That most ukuleles will benefit from a setup, but that most ukuleles are still playable without one. That if you don't find UAS, UAS will find you. I learned that after a lifetime of thinking that I couldn't sing, I found that I can. That making music can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

What I have learned: be careful when asking about a price because people will make you offers you can't refuse...and your wife will sign when the box arrives from FedEx.
My wife has an app on her phone that lets here know when a package is coming, and tracks it FedEx, UPS, or USPS, so she knows as soon as it gets shipped.

I learned its cheaper to spend more less often, than spend less more often.
I learned that there are good people still in the world willing to give, and not just take.
I learned that there's always more to learn, and sometimes it's important to learn when to unlearn.

great lessons from Ukulele Folklore! :)

Thanks for asking the question and establishing the thread.

after 50+ years playing the uke, I've learned that when you stick
with it, it truly gets better (more fun and more satisfying, esp if
you pay attention to what you're doing) as you get 'better' (more
comfortable and relaxed playing your uke).

experience (conscious, repetitive, meaningful activity) builds
confidence and 'mastery'... but there's always more to achieve! :)

and there's more fun to be had... as you continue to grow!

keep uke'in',

My Ukes have taught me more about music and hand coordination than I thought I was capable of. They taught me that $$$ is not as important as practice and trying. I have eight Ukes now and have enough to know I really needed only four, or maybe five, or maybe another one. ;)

Last edited:
I think the OP wants to know what we learned from each uke specifically, not collectively.

My makala pineapple: I learned that it is a uke not a small guitar. And i need precise technique to play it classically.

Shark: nice to have one you can keep in car at all times. Perhaps not in blazing summer in an unshaded parking lot over several hours but it is OK as it was only 29 $

Cordoba 22s: realized what a decent nice uke looks/feels/sounds like and got me UAS.

Mostly, I've learnt that after years of playing woodwinds and thinking strings are not for me that I can play a string instrument and get a lot of pleasure from it.

I am having a great deal of fun singing and playing the ukulele and I still play my wind instruments as well.

That you don't have to spend a huge amount of money to get an instrument that will serve you well.

that I'll never be quenched of UAS thirst. There's always one (or two) more that I want to try out... I imagine this is what having a drug problem is like! Just one more hit...
I learned that ukulele people are some of the nicest, friendliest, non-judgmental people around.
I learned that when you're playing in a big group, the person next to you probably can't hear that you missed that chord.
I also learned the value/need for a good set-up, especially when you are starting out (or just buy a Flea/Fluke which was my first gut that I ignored) - also, always go with your gut.

Ukulele brought me to UU, and UU has taught me how to embrace and nurture Aloha in my life. :D

Last edited:
My Mahalo taught me that I love sopranos. My Cordoba 20CM taught me that I love concerts. I imagine my next purchase will teach me that I love tenors. Just lots of general ukulele love really.

I also learned that I can sing better than I thought I could, which is a revelation to me because I've posted here a few times how bad my voice is.

I'll pick a few:
-Bruko/Lanakai bari - I don't really like scales longer than 19"

-Risa concert/Bruko soprano/Kala SLNG - I don't really like scales shorter than 15"

-Iriguchi/Cocobolo/Konablaster/Ono - I enjoy the process of helping bring a "custom" uke into existence almost as much as the joy of actually owning it

-all - I like experimenting with strings and keys but not "altered" tunings

KPK acacia tenor deluxe - that gorgeous sounds will stay with you, and you'll get addicted to that singing voice coming from the wood.

Ohana Rosewood/Cedar concert - that the concert scale is my sweet spot.

Ohana SK-28 - that sometimes, life calls for a little pluckiness.

Blackbird Clara - that there is such a thing as a forever uke.

Top Bottom