Please share Ukulele news from NAMM

Rakelele

Reaction score
With NAMM starting today, I tought it would be interesting to collect all Ukulele related news in a thread. So please share what you find interesting, post some links or even pictures if you got the chance to be there.

In the past, I found the following sources to be very informative about Uke stuff at NAMM: HMS with their Vimeo channel and Review page, Mim, Uke Republic, and of course the guys from UU on Youtube. Any other channels we should follow?

Rakelele, thanks for starting this thread and your post on the new super tenor from Kala. It is nice to have one place to come and lust over new Uke stuff.

Rakelele, thanks for starting this thread and your post on the new super tenor from Kala. It is nice to have one place to come and lust over new Uke stuff.

Thanks for beating me to starting this thread Rainer. I know Ukulele Eddie is there as I type this. What's the word Eddie?

I hope one day someone (most likely Cordoba) comes out with a Spanish fan-braced, Spanish heel neck-joint, soprano or sopranino ukulele in solid cedar top solid Brazilian rosewood body WITH EBONY FINGERBOARD and slotted headstock.

Too much to ask?
That'll be the bombest sop uke ever.

Thanks for starting this thread. Looking forward to seeing all the great new things coming out.

Any specific links to follow? I thought that last year, UU (Aldrine?) posted to a specific YT channel link, as did others, like Mim?
I can always just thrash around in YT, though, and fall into that rabbit hole. :)

Thanks for starting this thread. Looking forward to seeing all the great new things coming out.

Yes, Mahalo brother for making this.

I posted yesterday about a new pickup/preamp and recording interface made by IK Multimedia called the 'iRig Acoustic Stage' that does not require permanent installation and can easily be moved to another instrument.

Here is the thread, which includes photos, videos and links to the product web page:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125196-NEW-iRig-Acoustic-Stage-99

Last edited:
Just a note to all the attendees of NAMM who plan on shooting videos, from the self-apponted video police chief; NEVER shoot video with your phone upright, ALWAYS shoot video with your phone sideways.

This Boss Acoustic Singer combo amp might be a good alternative for solo performers, and those that sing, or have a singer, as an alternative to the FIshman Loudbox series of amps, or the Kustom PA50, but I've got no idea on pricing yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_pFnvgYtk

Last edited:
From a teaser picture on Facebook, it looks like Tenor Firefly banjo ukes from Magic Fluke are here: https://www.facebook.com/magicfluke/posts/729494543876106:0 a different body than the smaller Fireflies. I am interested.

From the comments to that photo on FB:

"John May:
Tell me more about those new tenor banjo ukes.

Magic Fluke Co. LLC:
Hi John! Thank you for your interest. This is a brand new exclusive design with a tunable head. Solid maple frame neck and fingerboard. Look for our next post to see and hear it in action. Thanks again, Phyllis"

Below is a link to the photos I took today. I didn't take a ton, but I'll be back on Sunday for a bit and will shoot more and will add them.

For me, there weren't a lot of stand-out items. A few items of the top-of-my-head:

- The new Romero Creations line of solid top/laminate body is really impressive. I had the pleasure of hearing them played. Andrew Kitakis will be sharing videos at some point. These are exceptional values.

- The Kala Elite line continues to really, really impress me. These are wonderfully executed instruments and not afraid to go a bit outside the box in aesthetics.

- Blackbird introduced a size 0 guitar with cutaway body. It was really impressive.

- I didn't get a photo but will Sunday; the Kanile'a 2017 Limited Edition is a cedar top/walnut body (going off memory here).

- Saw the Martin Centennial ukes. A Style 3 made in Nazareth and a Mexico-made basic model. They also had several customs displayed, including a sinker mahogany soprano that was really something special. And priced as such (over $4k).

- There was a cool metronome you wear on your wrist which vibrates instead of clicks. It's called Soundbrenner Pulse. You can rotate the dial to change tempo. You can also control it with a phone app. And the app can control multiple wrist devices so all members of the band can be synched. ;-)

- Takumi, the distributor for Kiwaya, LoPrinzi, DaSilva, its own Takumi line (super nice stuff and price really well), and several very small Japanese luthiers had a tables of eye candy. Andrew picked up a number of nice instruments, including an all koa TODA, which will be on HMS before too long.

Anyway, here are some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132994836@N07/49BcK4

Last edited:
Excellent photos as always Eddie. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with those of us who could not be there today. Nice shot of Daniel and Jason jamming on tiny tenors. I don't play soprano and probably never will, but that Sumi Kobo flamed Eucalyptus really is a stunner!

Top Bottom