Another Aquila "reds" story ... a banjolele tale!

kypfer

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed playing my "John Grey & Sons" banjolele and always blamed any bad intonation or poor tone down to my lack of technique or the damp weather causing the skin to stretch.

Just recently I had reason to tune it up to "D" (ADF#B) from it's usual "C" tuning and the little beast came alive ... like a different instrument!

So the search was on for a set of strings that would give me a similar tension in "C" tuning as my "ground nylon" strings did in "D".

Local choices are limited at best, the strings that were fitted were all that was available at the shop in town when I bought them.

On-line searches showed an almost unlimited choice, so I looked for advice.

The Southern Ukulele Store responded to my e-mail with a recommendation for Aquilas and a browse of their site showed a set of Aquila "reds" specifically recommended for a banjolele (Aquila code 90U)

These were duly ordered, fitted (all due care taken, given the alleged fragility of these strings) and tuned to "C"

To say I had an epiphany probably just about sums it up. It is just like playing a totally different instrument (I already said that!)

So - two recommendations (I bet you've guessed what they are ;)

Aquila "reds" for your banjolele and Southern Ukulele Store for all your ukulele needs - really helpful!

:music:

Top Bottom