Sore Fingers...

Fuzzbass

Reaction score
After playing bass for twenty plus years, since acquiring my new soprano uke yesterday, I have a new set of calluses on my sore little fingers :)

For the first week or two, limit practice sessions to several short ones. Also, a big beginner's mistake with ukes is to press on the strings too hard. They don't look like they can hurt that much.

After playing bass for twenty plus years, since acquiring my new soprano uke yesterday, I have a new set of calluses on my sore little fingers :)

Yay! No pain no gain! :shaka:

You'lll be proud of them little callouses soon enough. How are you finding the Noah Monkeypod?

I started playing uke about 4 years ago after playing steel string guitar for almost fifty years, didn't bother at all. Then I started playing bass uke a couple of years ago, mostly the fat poly strings and when I started playing uke again a few weeks ago, yes, the callous pain was there, especially after I got a new uke with too high action, which is being fixed right now.

It's great. Lovely dark grain, sounds good too. You can see its handmade too. There's a couple of tiny toolmarks om the headstock and binding, but I like that, proves it not a mass produced factory clone, made by a real person. Matthew from Noah Ukes is a really nice guy too. I see there's 20% off all his Ukes for January with the code from his Facebook page :)

Calluses

I've had this second set of calluses since getting my first uke. I was enjoying playing my latest addition a little too much and played for hours. Calusses on calluses on calluses :)

Like the song says, "Work your fingers to the bone, whadda ya get? Bony fingers."

Oh--we get music, too!

It's great. Lovely dark grain, sounds good too. You can see its handmade too. There's a couple of tiny toolmarks om the headstock and binding, but I like that, proves it not a mass produced factory clone, made by a real person. Matthew from Noah Ukes is a really nice guy too. I see there's 20% off all his Ukes for January with the code from his Facebook page :)

That's a great deal! Thanks for the info

Glad yours is OK. I had a Noah concert with poor intonation, eventually it transpired the bridge was in the wrong position. Also a joint in the fretboard became obvious at the 12th fret showing it was two pieces and not a one piece fretboard as you would rightly expect. I was sad about the Noah because I liked it in other respects and I've no doubt that it was probably a one off. I eventually got my money back and invested in a Brüko.

Looks like you're a little bit too keen. :)

To me, it looks like your finger tips haven't hardened up enough yet, practice little & often rather than for hours on end.
(I used to do a couple of 10~15 minute sessions a day when I started out.)

For the first week or two, limit practice sessions to several short ones. Also, a big beginner's mistake with ukes is to press on the strings too hard. They don't look like they can hurt that much.
Excellent advice! I rarely practice more than 30 minutes in a session. I also find that my mental state is better when I practice that way.

I had stages. First stage was tenderness, and that only lasted a week or two. Second stage was numbness, and that lasted a long time. Final stage, they are fine and there are no difference in feeling. During the numbness phase I had thick callouses that would peel off. I don't even have visible callouses anymore. One of my fears if I don't practice everyday is that they will go back to the way they were in the beginning. That is what keeps me playing.

I thought that the steel strings on my banjos would hurt and mebbe cut my finger tips, but they don't. However, now fingerpicking my Ukes gives me some discomfort, and the uke strings feel lots thicker than before.

I was really surprised. :eek:ld:

One thing you might want to do is grind down callouses.

At least for me, when I first started, I got huge callouses, and then the callouses would feel wierd, and peel.
But then I'd grind then down a bit, until they kinda self regulated, and later the callouses were not nearly as thick, but thick enough that I can play for hours and be fine.

I've started to use hand cream on them to soften them up a bit. To try to stop them from peeling. Seems to be working so far. Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom