NUD - Tom Ziegenspeck. Spruce and Yew Tenor

JesterBlod

Reaction score
This is a Beauty - Punchy but mellow too, very dynamic.

IMG_0895.jpgIMG_0896.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_0866.jpgIMG_0908.jpg

Love that watercolor gradient effect on the sides! What kind of wood is yew as a tone wood?

Its a spruce top tone wood - yew back and sides. No idea what yew would sound like as a tone wood on the top, but I have seen good words said about it.

The sides are one solid piece of yew the colour change being heartwood through to sap wood.

I like the tonal variations in the Yew, and what a sexy body shape too!

The yew trees I've sheen in Texas look more like big shrubs. I guess they must have bigger cousins in order to generate wood big enough for that two piece back.

Hope to hear a sound sample soon Jester :)

That is a really cool look to the sides. At first I thought it must be joined, like "bottom half yew/top half spruce" - but even cooler that it is one piece. I'm also looking forward to hearing it in action.

This is the shortest NUD post in the history of UU......Beautiful looking ukulele, congrats

Very nice, congratulations! Is he the fellow that builds with Pete Howlett?

Does he have his own web site? Link? Is the fretboard rosewood? Very nice looking wood.

Forgot to say congratulations. I like the shape. Sound samples were great.

Does he have his own web site? Link? Is the fretboard rosewood? Very nice looking wood.

Tom works as an assistant to Pete Howlett afaik.

I'm really happy to finally see one of Tom Ziegenspeck's beautiful instruments here on UU! Tom seems to be a very talented builder of very beautiful custom 'ukuleles here in Germany who certainly deserves more attention. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Top Bottom