Best external mic with stand for ukulele?

Kahua

Reaction score
As a beginner, I'm quite happy with my inexpensive concert Lanikai. I was planning on getting an electric ukulele, but I thought perhaps I will use an external mic instead. Any suggestions as to the right type of mic to use? For example, dynamic or condenser type. I'm not interested in a wireless mic as I would need a pre-amp for it.

Thank guys.

Do you want to use it for performing or recording Kahua?

You will find several threads with microphone recommendations.
Someone will probably link to one soon, otherwise look it up.

But before any useful recommendations can be made, you might want to specify what it is for, and what it is external too?
For performing?
For recording on recording gear?
For recording on phone?
For recording on computer?

You want one with a stand - but is that to place on the floor on a table?

Do you want to use it for performing or recording Kahua?

I guess one can say performing through a guitar amp. Our family gets together at times to play music. So I would like to play my ukulele through a guitar amp using an external mic.

Best? How much money do you have because the best doesn't come cheap.

Do you already own the guitar amp you intend to use? Does it have an XLR input? Does it supply phantom power?

I always use a microphone to amplify my ukuleles. Currently I'm using an EV ND767 microphone into a Roland AC-33 which is an acoustic amplifier with an XLR input. I play seated so I have a short microphone stand.

Your milage may vary.

Anthony

Best? How much money do you have because the best doesn't come cheap.

Do you already own the guitar amp you intend to use? Does it have an XLR input? Does it supply phantom power?

I always use a microphone to amplify my ukuleles. Currently I'm using an EV ND767 microphone into a Roland AC-33 which is an acoustic amplifier with an XLR input. I play seated so I have a short microphone stand.

Your milage may vary.

Anthony

I'm using a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. There's no problem using a mic through it as my cousin recently used his cordless mic through a cordless mic pre-amp to my amp, and it worked very well.

Seems like with the gear you have, it would be much cheaper to get a uke with a pickup. The results would probably be better too. You could buy a KM184 and an Avalon preamp and it would still probably not sound that great through a Fender. I can't say for sure. But if I was going to fork out $1000+ for the "best" mic and a preamp, I imagine I could buy a super nice uke with a pickup that interfaced better with my gear. Just my 2 cents.

I guess nobody clicked thru to my link in the above post for the iRig Acoustic Stage which just came out last week,

For $99, looks like it solves lots of problems at once. But what do I know? I dont have one yet to speak from experience.

Having said that, using a wireless (likely hand-held vocal) mic into a guitar amp designed for 'electric guitar' is going to be lacking in both bass and treble frequencies, and quite heavy in the midrange, and sound quite harsh and brittle to the audience, bordering on sonic punishment of their ears.

Brad has a good plan.

You can even spend $5k, $10k or more on high-end mics and preamps, but unless you are getting paid big bucks or are independently wealthy, my guess is you are looking for something that most of us plebs can afford.

The KM184 is a good mic and so are Avalon preamps.

It might also be helpful to search this forum for the word 'impedance' and learn why this is an issue with both mics and pickups in the 285 search results of threads where this has been discussed previously. I am not typing it all out, again.

I'm using a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. There's no problem using a mic through it as my cousin recently used his cordless mic through a cordless mic pre-amp to my amp, and it worked very well.

There's nothing wrong with the Princeton as an amp but you will need a preamp to run a microphone. The Princeton will not support a microphone on its own. If what you used works then buy it. You really should read the thread, http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120478-I-d-like-to-buy-a-mic

Anthony

There's nothing wrong with the Princeton as an amp but you will need a preamp to run a microphone. The Princeton will not support a microphone on its own. If what you used works then buy it. You really should read the thread, http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120478-I-d-like-to-buy-a-mic

Anthony

Thank you for the link Anthony. Some great advice there. I need t rethink this for sure as I was hoping that a wired mic plugged directly into my amp would suffice. Obviously not.

All here have given me some good information. I thank all of you very much.

Wayne

Top Bottom