T.V. Pal baritone

Dooke

Reaction score
I went shopping for used furniture with my wife. I did not expect to buy a ukulele. I found a very dusty but mint T.V. Pal. It has the original box and literature. The box is beat up but the uke is perfect except for the string I broke at the shop where I found it. After breaking the string I immediately justified the purchase in my head. These may be the original strings. There are no signs of wear! 35 dollars.

What strings? I am definitely thinking low D.

I promise a video after I get new strings. I am tickled pink.

Great find indeed! And hiding amongst the furniture! It was meant to be!

No idea on the strings, though. I'll leave that to the experts. :)

If a plastic fretboard, I'd suggest an all-unwound fluoro set, like the Living Water Bari, or the Worth CB/BB or Worth CS/BS or Worth CF/BF sets, all of which will have enough tension to intonate well on a 19"-20" scale.

Remember the Worth strings are 63" long and are meant to be cut exactly in half, so when you see the price compare that to TWO sets of Living Water strings, and NOT one set of them.

Wound strings are likely to grind down the plastic, likely polystyrene frets rather quickly, which there really is no easy way to repair/replace.

Congrats on the great find! :music:

TV Pal bari? That is a rare beast! Pictures or it didn't happen!;)

I just promised a video after I restring! BUT...I will figure out how to post a pic tonight when I get back home.

Goo be gone

Can I use something like goo be gone on this or will it melt the plastic?The only thing keeping it from being dead mint is the remnants of the price sticker.

If a plastic fretboard, I'd suggest an all-unwound fluoro set, like the Living Water Bari, or the Worth CB/BB or Worth CS/BS or Worth CF/BF sets, all of which will have enough tension to intonate well on a 19"-20" scale.

Remember the Worth strings are 63" long and are meant to be cut exactly in half, so when you see the price compare that to TWO sets of Living Water strings, and NOT one set of them.

Wound strings are likely to grind down the plastic, likely polystyrene frets rather quickly, which there really is no easy way to repair/replace.

Congrats on the great find! :music:

This sounds like great advice. Thanks, Booli!

Can I use something like goo be gone on this or will it melt the plastic?The only thing keeping it from being dead mint is the remnants of the price sticker.

I think whatever you use, it's going to be a messy process, but above all, do NOT use anything with petroleum solvents. You might try a Simple Green product, or one of the citrus-based household cleaners. Goo-Gone might be all right; if you can't be sure from the label, go to their website.

The paper isn't the problem, of course; it's the old adhesive, which you want to soften enough to safely wipe off. Whatever you use, make sure it's safe for plastics first; you've got a collectible item there.

At the risk of promoting a specific product, when I was in the business equipment repair/service industry (typewriters etc.) we used WD40 to soften the adhesive on labels that had got stuck to the roller, then methylated spirits to remove traces of the oily residue. Neither product ever affected any plastic or rubber parts "PROVIDED THEY WERE CLEANED OFF PROPERLY AND PROMPTLY". Warm soapy water will also successfully remove WD40 residue.

Be aware that the old adhesive may well have discoloured the plastic, which may become more obvious once it's cleaned.

Good luck :)

I have often found that you can use a small length, about 4" of either packaging tape or Duct tape, and first peel the edges of the sticker/label remnants, and then apply the tape over it, rub it down good, and then pull it off in a straight line.

Often the tackiness of the new adhesive is enough to 'pull' the old sticker, along with it's old adhesive clean off, with no damage and no chemicals needed.

Usually it takes a few or even many passes with the same peice of tape until the tackiness is gone, and often many pieces of tape, and patience is needed, it might take 40 times of applying the tape and pulling it off, in much the same way tha tyou can use tape to remove lint or cat hair from clothing, press it down, and pull it off, over and over, rinse and repeat.

Works for me EVERY time. Cheap, easy and no chemicals involved.

This is exactly how I remove stubborn labels from prescription pill bottles so I can re-use them for other things. I carefully peel off the original label, and then use the LABEL again and again to remove whatever is left on the bottle, label, adhesive dont matter, it ALL comes off.

I think whatever you use, it's going to be a messy process, but above all, do NOT use anything with petroleum solvents. You might try a Simple Green product, or one of the citrus-based household cleaners. Goo-Gone might be all right; if you can't be sure from the label, go to their website.

The paper isn't the problem, of course; it's the old adhesive, which you want to soften enough to safely wipe off. Whatever you use, make sure it's safe for plastics first; you've got a collectible item there.

At the risk of promoting a specific product, when I was in the business equipment repair/service industry (typewriters etc.) we used WD40 to soften the adhesive on labels that had got stuck to the roller, then methylated spirits to remove traces of the oily residue. Neither product ever affected any plastic or rubber parts "PROVIDED THEY WERE CLEANED OFF PROPERLY AND PROMPTLY". Warm soapy water will also successfully remove WD40 residue.

Be aware that the old adhesive may well have discoloured the plastic, which may become more obvious once it's cleaned.

Good luck :)

I have often found that you can use a small length, about 4" of either packaging tape or Duct tape, and first peel the edges of the sticker/label remnants, and then apply the tape over it, rub it down good, and then pull it off in a straight line.

Often the tackiness of the new adhesive is enough to 'pull' the old sticker, along with it's old adhesive clean off, with no damage and no chemicals needed.

Usually it takes a few or even many passes with the same peice of tape until the tackiness is gone, and often many pieces of tape, and patience is needed, it might take 40 times of applying the tape and pulling it off, in much the same way tha tyou can use tape to remove lint or cat hair from clothing, press it down, and pull it off, over and over, rinse and repeat.

Works for me EVERY time. Cheap, easy and no chemicals involved.

This is exactly how I remove stubborn labels from prescription pill bottles so I can re-use them for other things. I carefully peel off the original label, and then use the LABEL again and again to remove whatever is left on the bottle, label, adhesive dont matter, it ALL comes off.

Thank you all for taking the time to help on this issue. In the end I went with the manufacturers recommendation of mild soap and water. The little pamphlet for the Islander Baritone included care instructions. They advised against cleaning fluids, solvents and abrasives which can harm the beautiful glossy finish :). I know we are 50 or 60 years beyond manufacture and advances have been made but I figured soap and water was worth a shot.

There was also a pamphlet for The Maccaferri plastic guitar. Flat Top 29.95. Archtop 39.95. The Islander price on the pamphlet is 17.50.

Thanks again. Pics coming soon.

A Blonde

DSC_0010.jpg

My Caramel CT 102A and CT 405 in the background.

Please forgive the sideways images.

The Headstock

I still have to do some detailed cleaning on the headstock and fingerboard but I am having fun playing it even with the missing string so that will wait until I get the new strings. I had no idea how to work friction tuners.
DSC_0011.jpg

I still have to do some detailed cleaning on the headstock and fingerboard but I am having fun playing it even with the missing string so that will wait until I get the new strings. I had no idea how to work friction tuners.

Your thread here just reminded me if I'll ever actually see one of those vintage Arthur Godfrey 'Vega' baritone ukes out in the wild - feels like I am chasing the white whale.

Looks great there Dooke and it seems to have cleaned up nicely :)

Your thread here just reminded me if I'll ever actually see one of those vintage Arthur Godfrey 'Vega' baritone ukes out in the wild - feels like I am chasing the white whale.

Looks great there Dooke and it seems to have cleaned up nicely :)

Well you will at very least have another soldier in the fight. I will keep my eyes peeled. Maybe my luck has changed!

The irony of all of this is that I have been looking at these TV Pals. Searching videos and such. I wasn't in the market but I was intrigued by them. I was surprised when I realized it was a baritone. I was all in at 45 bucks and when I took it to the counter to pay they said it was on sale.

Top Bottom