PDA

View Full Version : Sand fret marker inlay removal

Theblackegg
01-21-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm playing a Kanile'a with an ebony fret board housing sand position marker inlays on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 12th and 15th. Is it possible to remove them and somehow fill them with ebony without completely destroying the aesthetic of the instrument?
I can't afford to go custom and really dislike the look of position markers.

George

sequoia
01-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Sure, the sand position markers could be drilled out and replaced with ebony. They won't match perfectly of course, but the sand would be gone. I'm just a little puzzled why they bug you so. You could do this yourself if you are handy. My question: Why did you buy/get the instrument in the first place if the position markers bugged you? Personally I like and use position markers as I play.

Theblackegg
01-21-2017, 07:54 PM
I love the instrument, and was able to get it at a reduced price. It has been more to do with development of taste, besides it has side markers, i don't use front facing markers. Playing the uke in a way where these are visible puts unnecessary stress on my fretting hand.

sequoia
01-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Playing the uke in a way where these are visible puts unnecessary stress on my fretting hand.

Well just ignore them... Problem solved.

cml
01-21-2017, 08:47 PM
As Sequoia is saying, you wont get a perfect match. Id be inclined to just leave them as they are.

Susie A
01-22-2017, 02:09 AM
Use a black sharpie! Problem solved with no drilling involved. :)

Timbuck
01-22-2017, 03:30 AM
My Daughter told me that Ukulele Players were "A weird Lot" :uhoh: :agree:

Spokeshave
01-22-2017, 05:14 AM
Hi @Timbuck I've tried to pm you but think I may not have managed it ??

Timbuck
01-22-2017, 06:36 AM
Hi @Timbuck I've tried to pm you but think I may not have managed it ??
Sorry I've been busy ...Just answered the PM.

Dan Gleibitz
01-22-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm thinking the sand is bound in resin or glue so will be harder than the surrounding wood, and perhaps rather well bonded to it if it was set in place. That makes the job different to the old plastic or shell markers where you can just drill a small hole in the middle and pull/break them out. You could get a thin brass tube slightly larger than the markers, slot the end to make a bore for your drill press and go to town. Providing the uke is held well, the tube should follow the fret marker into the wood, boring a ring around it so you can then break it off and pull it out.

Or just cover them over with black paint.

Michael Smith
01-22-2017, 01:18 PM
If you have a decent drill press you could drill them out and make some ebony plugs with a plug cutter. They do make 1/4" plug cutters.

Theblackegg
01-22-2017, 03:03 PM
It's OK it wasn't a question, it was a statement and required no answer.
Please unless it's comedic, cathartic or constructive do not post in this feed. Thanks guys.
Just seeking sound advice from anyone with experience in doing something of this nature.
I've heard it being done with some guitars but finding it difficult to find adequate info on the topic.

George

Booli
01-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Use a black sharpie! Problem solved with no drilling involved. :)
Were it me, this is what I would do^^^. I am frugal and this is the cheapest option, as well as fully reversible. When the sharpie wears off from friction, just re-apply. In this scenario, if the cap is secured on the sharpie, a single sharpie can last for YEARS before drying out.

Also, they make sharpies in colors now, and you can get a few shades of brown last time I checked.

Otherwise you can get fret dots from https://inlaysticker.com for $6, and just cover the sand dots, with darker dots.

I've seen some dark abalone-colored fret dots and I think that they also have solid black and/or solid brown dots meant initially for Strat and Tele guitars with a blonde maple neck, and these would likely totally blackout the sand dots, but now you will have black or brown dots instead.

Both of these are reversible and neither requires special tools nor drilling into your nice Kanile'a.

sequoia
01-22-2017, 07:08 PM
It's OK it wasn't a question, it was a statement and required no answer.
Please unless it's comedic, cathartic or constructive do not post in this feed. George

Actually I believe your original post was a question George:

Is it possible to remove them and somehow fill them with ebony without completely destroying the aesthetic of the instrument? George

Just sayin'