Workshop, tuition, festival, Hawaiii June or July 2017.

Santa

Reaction score
Traveling to the US from Australia in June or July 2017, nothing booked yet so flexible.

Would like to stop over in Honolulu and perhaps attend a uke event with the object of learning, I am very much a beginner so advanced workshops would be above me.

Suggestions and information welcome.:)

Uncle George Kahumoku's Slack Key and 'Ukulele Workshop is in June on Maui. Herb Jr., Jason Jerome (a fabulous beginning 'ukulele teacher), and myself make up the 'ukulele instructor crew, but a lot of the slack key guys do 'ukulele classes too: Jeff Peterson, Paul Togioka, Uncle Led Kaapana, Uncle George. Quite a week if learning is you MO.

...attend a uke event with the object of learning, I am very much a beginner so advanced workshops would be above me.

Uncle George Kahumoku's Slack Key and 'Ukulele Workshop is in June on Maui. Herb Jr., Jason Jerome (a fabulous beginning 'ukulele teacher), and myself make up the 'ukulele instructor crew, but a lot of the slack key guys do 'ukulele classes too: Jeff Peterson, Paul Togioka, Uncle Led Kaapana, Uncle George. Quite a week if learning is you MO.

Wow!!

There you go. What a chance. Jason for your beginner classes - listen in on the others for some inspiration. Maui is cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I realize it's an opportunity but the cost is way above what I'm prepared to spend.:)

I would love to make a trip to HI too, and make it a learning excursion. Is there any program that does this throughout the year, that teaches ukelele?

I would love to make a trip to HI too, and make it a learning excursion. Is there any program that does this throughout the year, that teaches ukelele?

Another program is one that is organized by Keola Beamer. It is very popular and gets sold out early every year. The next available one is planned for Feb 2018. Here is the link to the music camp: https://alohamusiccamp.org

It is also not cheap, but it is a jam packed program that includes instruction in slack key guitar, ukulele, ukulele building, and hula.

a couple of things, perhaps 3 :)

1. in Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian Center, free ukulele lessons:

Ukulele
TIME: 12:00pm—1:00pm
Building B, Level 1 — Helumoa Hale Guest Services & Heritage Room
Learn basic chords and songs as you strum Hawai'i's best-known string instrument. 25 instruments and music books are provided, but you are welcome to bring your own ukulele. Instructors Wainani Yim and Puake'ala Mann are seasoned performers who share favorite songs and simple chords.
Owing to the popularity of our ukulele classes, we have implemented a number system. Guests can retrieve a number (1-25) from Helumoa Hale Guest Services staff starting at 10am in order to secure their place in the class. [I believe this would be M to Fri, but call to make sure ahead of time]

2. Ukulele Festival Hawai'i, FREE.

47th Annual Ukulele Festival
Sunday, July 16, 2017
10:30 am - 5:00 pm
Kapiolani Park, Waikiki, Oahu

Lord Willing, I'm planning on being there, hanging out near the HMS vendor tent. [If Andrew arranges
for an additional, Kanikapila tent, we'll be there singing, playing, instructing, etc :) Great place to meet
other UUers and even get to participate in the Festival and earn a participant's Medallion!] When you get
into town, text me at (206-234-6972) for more information- I'm planning on being in HNL hopefully by July 10th.

3. once I make it to HNL, my general daily plan is to be at the Makai Food Court of the Ala Moana Center,
from about 10a, near Cinnabon, singing to and talking story with the lei-making Aunties who gather there
daily. [they're teaching me how to be retired]. I'd be happy to go over some general ukulele-playing info
and sharing music with you, and anyone else who may be interested in learning to play the ukulele, or who
simply want to jam :)

keep uke'in',

PS as an employee of a School District, I'm generally free/on vacation from about July 10 to Aug 10, each
Summer. If anyone happens to be in HNL during those dates, please feel free to TEXT me at the number above, to touch
bases and possibly get together. NOTE: I don't have access to a car, so I'm generally at the Ala Moana Center most days.

Last edited:
Gradually organizing dates and times.

We plan to arrive in Honolulu approx 14th July 2017 and staying 4 nights, looking for accommodation, attending the festival so something close handy would be good.

Thoughts.:confused:

2. Ukulele Festival Hawai'i, FREE.

47th Annual Ukulele Festival
Sunday, July 16, 2017
10:30 am - 5:00 pm
Kapiolani Park, Waikiki, Oahu

Lord Willing, I'm planning on being there, hanging out near the HMS vendor tent. [If Andrew arranges
for an additional, Kanikapila tent, we'll be there singing, playing, instructing, etc :) Great place to meet
other UUers and even get to participate in the Festival and earn a participant's Medallion!] When you get
into town, text me at (206-234-6972) for more information- I'm planning on being in HNL hopefully by July 10th.

3. once I make it to HNL, my general daily plan is to be at the Makai Food Court of the Ala Moana Center,
from about 10a, near Cinnabon, singing to and talking story with the lei-making Aunties who gather there
daily. [they're teaching me how to be retired]. I'd be happy to go over some general ukulele-playing info
and sharing music with you, and anyone else who may be interested in learning to play the ukulele, or who
simply want to jam :)

I really hope to join you there this summer, Rod!

Gradually organizing dates and times.

We plan to arrive in Honolulu approx 14th July 2017 and staying 4 nights, looking for accommodation, attending the festival so something close handy would be good.

Thoughts.:confused:

We like staying at the Park Shore hotel. As close as you can get to the festival, you can probably see it from your room. If not you'll have a view of the Pacific.

Top Bottom