PDA

View Full Version : My luthier....

Nickie
01-22-2017, 12:53 AM
I spoke with the guy who does all my repair work the other day. He has 8 ukes in the build process.
I've never bought one from him, they are nice, but headstock heavy, he claims added sustain from this. He also only makes pin bridges, which I don't like. He has a bunch of really nice koa, and plans to build some tenors, so far has just been building concerts. He has a solid oak one and a solid pecan one for sale.
But I asked him if he would consider building me a bari, and I got a resounding NO. Because it would entail new molds. Geez.
He said he is snowed under by repair work, and hinted around that I should stop referring my ukeing friends to his shop. I told him he needs a protege, but he doesn't have room for anyone. He isn't amenable to expanding at all. I told him he charges too little.
He has about 80 broken instruments.
He's very hard to get off the phone, but won't attend the open mics I invite him too, less than a mile away.
I think he's a hermit. He would probably love for me to leave him alone. He does seem to enjoy showing me around....
Are all luthiers this "interesting"?

Choirguy
01-22-2017, 02:25 AM
My favorite part is where he tells you to stop sending him business. A somewhat more reasoned response would be: "Thanks for sending people my way, but I have had to recommend them to another luthier as I knew I wouldn't be able to get to their projects in a timely manner."

Croaky Keith
01-22-2017, 02:28 AM
He's probably doing it for love..... :)

I think most luthiers do it for the pleasure it gives them to see their creations coming alive. ;)

Booli
01-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Nothing wrong with being a hermit, which I have been known to emulate from time to time. :rolleyes:

Some folks just have priorities other than money or fame, especially if basic needs are covered and the bills are paid. :)

Maybe he is one of these folks?

southcoastukes
01-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Are all luthiers this "interesting"?

Yes; all of them.

rappsy
01-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Send your friends and colleagues to Todd at Portland Fretworks.

As I've shown in this thread, his work his exemplary and he appreciates the business.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125060-My-RISA-Travel-Uke-Story-Perhaps-the-most-interesting-thread-EVER