PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose just one?

Scatterbrain
01-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Your house is on fire, your family and pets are safe but you have time to grab just ONE uke (or the moneybox for the one you are saving for) ..... Which one and why?

Booli
01-22-2017, 02:36 PM
I'd have to grab two...sorry for the exception...

1. Vintage 1950s all-solid mahogany Harmony baritone, given to me by my grandfather who passed away in 2009. He was a highly-accomplished lifelong ragtime, foxtrot and jazz solo pianist (as a hobby) and brought many blessings into my life with his music

2. My 'Made In The USA' 1976 all-mahogany Gibson Les Paul 'Firebrand', which was my first ever 'real' guitar, and a birthday gift from my mother when I was 15 yrs old. I wrote tons of music on that guitar, and had many recordings and gigs for many many years with it.

Neither of these can be 'replaced' due to the family connections and 'other than cash value' meaning to me.

I am not a materialistic person, but if I can't choose and keep these two, then I might as well just cover myself in gasoline and wait for immolation to consume me.

delmar500
01-22-2017, 02:51 PM
I'd have to grab two...sorry for the exception...

1. Vintage 1950s all-solid mahogany Harmony baritone, given to me by my grandfather who passed away in 2009. He was a highly-accomplished lifelong ragtime, foxtrot and jazz solo pianist (as a hobby) and brought many blessings into my life with his music

2. My 'Made In The USA' 1976 all-mahogany Gibson Les Paul 'Firebrand', which was my first ever 'real' guitar, and a birthday gift from my mother when I was 15 yrs old. I wrote tons of music on that guitar, and had many recordings and gigs for many many years with it.

Neither of these can be 'replaced' due to the family connections and 'other than cash value' meaning to me.

I am not a materialistic person, but if I can't choose and keep these two, then I might as well just cover myself in gasoline and wait for immolation to consume me.

He said you could only save one uke. The Gibson gets through on a technology!

actadh
01-22-2017, 02:56 PM
I think i would have to pick along the principle of replacement. I love my OXK, OU, Brueko etc. but if they perish, there are more. The sapele Opio is scarce, but there are used ones once the new stock is depleted.

So, theoretically, I would pick my 1940's solid maple Silvertone soprano. Bought off eBay (and plays perfectly), so no family connection. Just the fact that it is no longer made.

However, in 1994 our house burned to the ground in 15 minutes. Forget the ukes, just get out.

Rllink
01-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Probably my Mainland, but honestly, I could get another one of them, so I might just get out and stay out.

Choirguy
01-22-2017, 03:21 PM
If I had to sell all but two, I would keep the Opio and the Pono. If one of them, even though it is theoretically the lesser instrument (no radius fretboard, no slotted headstock, no gloss finish, etc.) I would take the Opio just because of its unbelievable sound. I need to find someone with an Acacia Opio to see how much the sound has changed.

igorthebarbarian
01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Great question. Blackbird Clara. Love it and it's pricey. Others that I have are easier to replace. Though to be honest I'd probably choose none and start hoarding them all over again!

thaidye39
01-22-2017, 03:27 PM
I certainly hope no one suffers any tradegdy, but I'd save the only uke I have: a walnut tenor fluke with wood fretboard.

However, if I saved my piggybank, it's for a koa fluke with wood fretboard and peghead tuners -- intonation, durability, playability, made in USA, with the sweetness of koa... I can't wait!

Croaky Keith
01-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but mine are kept in plastic crates in their gig bags, so I'd grab the one that has my better ukes in it. :D

DownUpDave
01-23-2017, 12:29 AM
My LfdM as it was custom built to all my specifications. I worked closely with Luis on all the details and he even put an inscription on the inside. It also happens to be my best sounding and easiest playing uke.

SoloRule
01-23-2017, 02:17 AM
LFDM
I don't need anything else! Just me and my LFDM!

sukie
01-23-2017, 03:55 AM
I would grab my Moore Bettah. It's insured, but only for what I paid for it. I could not afford to get another one.

kypfer
01-23-2017, 06:55 AM
The uke's can be replaced ... my blonde J200, she comes with me whatever, has done for the last 40+ years :music:

stevepetergal
01-23-2017, 07:06 AM
I'd die in the fire.

SoloRule
01-23-2017, 09:49 AM
I'd die in the fire.

I think this is the best respond
You die because you couldn't decide which uke to grab !
Either the fire got to you while you were debating or you decided to stay with all of them. That's so cute! Great answer !

Debussychopin
01-23-2017, 09:58 AM
My loprinzi.

It is my most expensive one!

wickedwahine11
01-23-2017, 10:19 AM
I would grab my Moore Bettah. It's insured, but only for what I paid for it. I could not afford to get another one.

My Kauai inlayed Moore Bettah. Like Sukie, I have it insured for what I paid, but the money would be little consolation as it is irreplacable and has a great deal of sentimental value as well.

sukie
01-23-2017, 10:27 AM
My Kauai inlayed Moore Bettah. Like Sukie, I have it insured for what I paid, but the money would be little consolation as it is irreplacable and has a great deal of sentimental value as well.

They are irreplaceable. And I'd never talk Chuck into another sound hole, either.

Just grab your favourite and run, I say.

YarraJoe
01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Would have to be my 16in scale concert made for me by Allen at Barron River. I get pleasure from playing this beautiful instrument every day, all my others get a bit of attention now and again, but this uke, calls me to play it! Once he finishes my baritone , I'll likely have to grab two Ukes but for now, just this one.

SteveZ
01-24-2017, 02:02 AM
The first one within reach (uke, guitar, banjo or mandolin).

Down Up Dick
01-24-2017, 04:52 AM
I have many instruments that would come before my ukes, like my tuba, but i guess this is about ukes . . .

I think i'd save my Kala baritone. I really like its sound and visual beauty. There are others that i like a lot, but i think we're supposed to pick just one.

If my house burned up (down?), I don't think i'd replace any ukes. The baritone would be enough. :old:

good_uke_boy
01-24-2017, 08:24 AM
If there's time after saving stevepetergal, I'd grab my Moore Bettah.

Django
01-24-2017, 10:55 AM
This is tough. Picking favourites. It would be my Laughlin 3K, 1920 copy. Tim only made two, and it can't be replaced with insurance money. Can I go back in for the 5K?

stevepetergal
01-25-2017, 01:36 AM
All kidding aside, I'd be sure they all burned beyond recognition.

Honest, they were all custom instruments worth eight to ten grand each.

jimavery
01-25-2017, 02:17 AM
Whichever is closest to hand - so that's going to be either of my two Brüko sopranos then.

To be honest, none of my ukuleles are particularly old or expensive so they're all replaceable. What would be a lot more difficult to replace is my collection of sheet music and songs marked-up with chord diagrams for various tunings. Thankfully all those are stored digitally in the cloud and backed-up to USB so wouldn't be lost in any fire.

jimavery
01-25-2017, 02:18 AM
Whichever is closest to hand - so that's going to be either of my two Brüko sopranos then.

To be honest, none of my ukuleles are particularly old or expensive so they're all replaceable. What would be a lot more difficult to replace is my collection of sheet music and songs marked-up with chord diagrams for various tunings. Thankfully all those are stored digitally in the cloud and backed-up to USB so wouldn't be lost in any fire.

Griffis
01-28-2017, 04:06 AM
I'll play! I have a bit of experience with similar disasters. In late 2010 a flood washed out nearly all of my family's possessions.

As far as music gear and instruments, among other instruments I lost a Gretsch Duo Jet and 1965 Fender Telecaster electric guitars, a very nice Fender P Bass, multiple vintage amps, effects pedals and recording gear, a 1933 Gibson tenor banjo, a 1950s Martin baritone uke, a Gretsch acoustic guitar, my wife's classical guitar and electric piano...

Yeah, it kinda sucked. But nobody was hurt, we didn't lose a pet or car or home or business like many people in the area did. The stuff that really hurt to lose was old family photos, drawings my kids had done, some keepsakes...

But enough of my whining. At this time I have 4 ukes: two sopranos, a low G concert and a baritone. None of them is high end in any way, but I love and enjoy them all.

Since most days I like soprano best, I'd grab one of those.

The Gretsch G9100 is a really great bang-for-the-buck soprano. IMO, superior to the vintage Gretsch soprano I used to own. But it's a recent acquisition and still mass-produced, readily available and inexpensive. Easy to replace.

Because I am a nostalgic, sentimental guy, I'd save my other soprano from the fire. I've had it since 2000, bought it cheap on eBay ($15 or so) and it's been with me through a lot.

It's just an old ('50s era, by my reckoning) Japanese no-name. Ugly, but plays sweet.

It was actually damaged in the flood. Tuners wrecked, fingerboard separated a bit from the neck, little bit of seam separation of the top to the sides. I recovered it from the flood, cleaned her up, dehumidified it, and it became a wall hanger for a few years.

Last month I got together with my greatest friend who I rarely get to see as we live some distance from each other. He has more know-how and skill, but we worked together to bring it back to life, gluing and clamping, further cleaning, replacing tuners, re-setting the bridge and lowering the action, strung it up with Martin M600s. Now it plays and sounds better than ever. I'm considering refinishing it someday down the road.

It's not a fine instrument, but it does great and brings me the happy.

It would be a drag to only have one uke, but if I had to, this one would get me by just aces.