PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Expect?

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 01:24 PM
So here's the deal. I have a good friend in Chicago (I'm near Buffalo) and he started playing the ukulele last year because of me and he improved very fast and was getting good, but he decided it wasn't for him and after about 7 months of not playing he asked me if I would take it off his hands for free, no strings attached. I obviously said yes and he shipped it right out today. After he sent it out, he told me he sent it only in a gig bag, no box. I didn't even know the post office would send things like that. I didn't want to complain because he's giving it to me, but I told him it might not make it to me alive if he sent it like that. So what should I expect? Is this thing going to come broken in half or what :uhoh: I'm a little nervous for the little uke.

Just got word that he was confused on what kind of case it was he had (he was a newbie). It looks like a harder shell case, not a full hard case, but like the in between of a hard case and gig bag. It might live.

Update #2 - It arrived in a gig bag... My friend is a confused little guy. I haven't opened it yet, so if you want to change your vote, now is the time!

Update #3 and #4 - It arrived broken (see page 5). After 4 months, I attempted to glue it back together. It's clamped right now, so we will see what happens in the morning.

deschutestrout
01-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Expect to receive a uke in a few days, shipped in a gig bag. Anything beyond that exceeds my psychic abilities.

DownUpDave
01-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Kyle you should start a poll.

It will arrive damaged but in one piece

It will arrive in two or more pieces

It will be unrecognizable as a musical instrument

Sorry pal just having some fun.

hawaii 50
01-23-2017, 01:49 PM
I was a letter carrier at USPS expect a broken uke....no way you can blame the PO for this one..if you get it in tack congrats...the uke will go through many hands and trucks etc......when I delivered the mail if I got it not broken you would too...but can not do anything to help while being shopped.....

Camsuke
01-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Why would anybody in their right mind, send an instrument in the mail without adequate protection?

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Kyle you should start a poll.

It will arrive damaged but in one piece

It will arrive in two or more pieces

It will be unrecognizable as a musical instrument

Sorry pal just having some fun.

No worries, that's actually a good idea but I can't seem to figure out how to add a poll.

To be completely honest, I'm far more curious than upset about it.

I was a letter carrier at USPS expect a broken uke....no way you can blame the PO for this one..if you get it in tack congrats...the uke will go through many hands and trucks etc......when I delivered the mail if I got it not broken you would too...but can not do anything to help while being shopped.....

Sounds about right lol. I'm going to intercept the truck and save it!

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Poll is up. Place your bets place your bets

Hammond
01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
I didn't even know the post office would send things like that.

The same thing in my head. :uhoh:

But yea the responsibility is on the sender his own.. for sending an instrument in such way.

I voted "in two or more pieces"

Gammo
01-23-2017, 02:09 PM
What uke was it? I'm hoping it's nearer the Mahalo end of the scale rather that the Kamaka end.

Doug W
01-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Make sure you have a bottle of Titebond in the house.

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 02:16 PM
What uke was it? I'm hoping it's nearer the Mahalo end of the scale rather that the Kamaka end.

Not a Kamaka, but definitely not a cheapie
http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-20cm-mahogany-concert.html

OhioBelle
01-23-2017, 02:18 PM
It'll be fun figuring out how to put it back together! :rolleyes:

Gammo
01-23-2017, 02:23 PM
I have a 20CM. Now I'm definitely worried.

Rllink
01-23-2017, 02:26 PM
I wonder if he insured it?

Camsuke
01-23-2017, 02:30 PM
I wonder if he insured it?

He seems like a smart guy, I'm sure he did.

ScooterD35
01-23-2017, 02:34 PM
My vote is, "Undamaged, but well played with a dozen or so notes added to the case by Uke-playing postal workers."

Scooter

Gammo
01-23-2017, 02:34 PM
If it's insured, maybe say it WAS a Kamaka. Not that I'm endorsing insurance fraud.

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 02:53 PM
He says it's insured, so I guess we'll see.

Choirguy
01-23-2017, 04:25 PM
If the uke was well padded in the shipping box (peanuts, plastic bags, etc) I don't see why it couldn't make it. I have now received over 38 (soon to be 50) ukuleles from China (Caramel) that are in a styrofoam lined box, in a bag, with only an "air baggie" under the neck. Not a single unit has arrived damaged--all the way from China.

It isn't as if the mailer stuck postage on a soft Gig Bag and sent the instrument through the mail!

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 04:37 PM
If the uke was well padded in the shipping box (peanuts, plastic bags, etc) I don't see why it couldn't make it. I have now received over 38 (soon to be 50) ukuleles from China (Caramel) that are in a styrofoam lined box, in a bag, with only an "air baggie" under the neck. Not a single unit has arrived damaged--all the way from China.

It isn't as if the mailer stuck postage on a soft Gig Bag and sent the instrument through the mail!

He literally told me he went in, with just the gig bag, didn't put it in a box and the guy at the desk told him he wouldn't need a box and it would be fine haha. I have no idea how you send something like that without a box though, maybe some shipping wrap type deal? No idea at all. I guess I'll see in a few days.

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 04:51 PM
He just said after he suggested they put it in the box, the guy at the counter said "this case its in will be fine." and taped the zipper. That's it. That can't be how they do it :rofl:

Another update - he thought it was a gig bag, but he just sent me a picture of what the case looks like and it looks like a harder shell uke crazy case. So definitely not a gig bag.

OhioBelle
01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
He just said after he suggested they put it in the box, the guy at the counter said "this case its in will be fine." and taped the zipper. That's it. That can't be how they do it :rofl:

Another update - he thought it was a gig bag, but he just sent me a picture of what the case looks like and it looks like a harder shell uke crazy case. So definitely not a gig bag.

Ah! There's hope yet! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Booli
01-23-2017, 05:20 PM
I second the vote for having some wood glue and spool clamps on hand.

Can you say 'weekend project'? or if beyond feasable repair, then 'wall art'?

I dunno if a canvas-covered hard foam case like the Uke Crazy cases would survive being crushed by something heavy. Maybe bumps and drops from a low height would not inflict too much harm.

Hopefully the handlers will see that is an instrument, and not toss it around like the airlines did in that 'United Breaks Guitars' video that was so popular a few years ago.

Since it is free, I understand your being hesitant to complain, but I am always surprised by how careless some folks are, and I would have specified proper shipping and packing instructions in advance.

Worst-case scenario is that you can file an insurance claim, but the onus will be on the sender to prove that it was packed properly.

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 05:28 PM
I second the vote for having some wood glue and spool clamps on hand.

Can you say 'weekend project'? or if beyond feasable repair, then 'wall art'?

I dunno if a canvas-covered hard foam case like the Uke Crazy cases would survive being crushed by something heavy. Maybe bumps and drops from a low height would not inflict too much harm.

Hopefully the handlers will see that is an instrument, and not toss it around like the airlines did in that 'United Breaks Guitars' video that was so popular a few years ago.

Since it is free, I understand your being hesitant to complain, but I am always surprised by how careless some folks are, and I would have specified proper shipping and packing instructions in advance.

Worst-case scenario is that you can file an insurance claim, but the onus will be on the sender to prove that it was packed properly.

Yeah I should have given instructions, but he went out and did it randomly weeks after we discussed it. And the fact that since it was free, I didn't want to be a bother.

hawaii 50
01-23-2017, 06:27 PM
He literally told me he went in, with just the gig bag, didn't put it in a box and the guy at the desk told him he wouldn't need a box and it would be fine haha. I have no idea how you send something like that without a box though, maybe some shipping wrap type deal? No idea at all. I guess I'll see in a few days.

I don't think you can put this on the Post Office Kyle..you are really reaching now but I am sure you will try....:) good luck I hope it makes it......if broken you will never get the ins. money.....might take you a while..but good luck anyway...:) Btw the Post Office does not wrap or pack boxes...the shipper is responsible..just to save you some time....haha

oh I just read the whole thread...I change my vote..good chance it will make it...Big difference between a gig bag and uke crazy case.....good luck!!

Debussychopin
01-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Poly foam case by cordoba if so should be a good chance it comes in one piece. There's a lot of sudden Gforces that can come with blunt impact when the thing gets tossed around at the circulation depot it may be in one piece but check for hairline cracks and loose braces or such.

Kyle23
01-23-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't think you can put this on the Post Office Kyle..you are really reaching now but I am sure you will try....:) good luck I hope it makes it......if broken you will never get the ins. money.....might take you a while..but good luck anyway...:) Btw the Post Office does not wrap or pack boxes...the shipper is responsible..just to save you some time....haha

oh I just read the whole thread...I change my vote..good chance it will make it...Big difference between a gig bag and uke crazy case.....good luck!!

I definitely don't want to blame the post office. I don't 100% believe that the guy at the desk would say that, because I've sent out tons of things and I've never even heard of that. It's more my friend blaming the post office and I'm just relaying the information to you guys. I'll keep everyone posted and let you guys know if it makes it. I have faith.

willisoften
01-23-2017, 09:04 PM
I voted undamaged - positive mental attitude, maybe it will be handled with care by music lovers all along the chain. Every worker thinking, because of inadequate packaging it needs special care. Makes me all warm'n'fuzzy just thinkin about it.
Maybe every ukulele lover in the post office will unzip the case and play a fine solo and the uke will star on YouTube as it makes it's way across the continent, this could be awesome

DownUpDave
01-23-2017, 11:47 PM

First off Kyle thanks for being a good sport and having a sense of humor. Good news about the uke being in a hard type case, glad I read the complete thread before voting. I vote no damage...........karma will reward your good attitude.

Kyle23
01-24-2017, 09:08 AM
First off Kyle thanks for being a good sport and having a sense of humor. Good news about the uke being in a hard type case, glad I read the complete thread before voting. I vote no damage...........karma will reward your good attitude.

What kind of person would I be to get mad when someone wanted to do something nice for me? I mean sure I wish he sent it better, but I'm grateful, so whatever happens, happens, so why not have a bit of fun with it. It sure seems like I'm a mooch who gets free stuff a lot though haha, I swear I don't ask for all of these things!

jimavery
01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
I saw a similar thread on a bicycle forum some years ago, with an argument that went along the lines of .. You're better off not wrapping it at all. Reason being the shippers will see it for what it is, will realise it's just too delicate just to throw around and will therefore treat it kindly.

Having said that, I have faith your ukulele will be fine regardless. In my experience most things sent through the mail etc, arrive ok. The exceptions are the ones we remember, but they're not so common. I am, you might have gathered by now, an optimist. :D

Kyle23
01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
I saw a similar thread on a bicycle forum some years ago, with an argument that went along the lines of .. You're better off not wrapping it at all. Reason being the shippers will see it for what it is, will realise it's just too delicate just to throw around and will therefore treat it kindly.

Having said that, I have faith your ukulele will be fine regardless. In my experience most things sent through the mail etc, arrive ok. The exceptions are the ones we remember, but they're not so common. I am, you might have gathered by now, an optimist. :D

I never thought of that. But now I'm worried about the possibility of it being stole right out of the case :(

RichM
01-24-2017, 10:17 AM
I had a similar experience several years back. I bought an fairly pricey 8-string bass from a guy, and was shocked when it showed up at my doorstep (from a cross-country trip!) in nothing but a soft case with a UPS tag tied around the handle. The good news? The bass was absolutely fine and I played it for many years without issue. Even the case wasn't much worse for wear from the trip.

I can't promise the same will be true of your uke, but here's at least one example of the instrument showing up unscathed. (That being said, I DON'T recommend shipping stuff that way!!!)

Kyle23
01-24-2017, 10:54 AM
I had a similar experience several years back. I bought an fairly pricey 8-string bass from a guy, and was shocked when it showed up at my doorstep (from a cross-country trip!) in nothing but a soft case with a UPS tag tied around the handle. The good news? The bass was absolutely fine and I played it for many years without issue. Even the case wasn't much worse for wear from the trip.

I can't promise the same will be true of your uke, but here's at least one example of the instrument showing up unscathed. (That being said, I DON'T recommend shipping stuff that way!!!)

So they CAN ship something in it's original case with just postage on it. Very strange, but I'm glad to hear yours worked out.

Doc_J
01-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Once I was totally shocked when I bought a K-brand uke from a well known Hawaiian retailer (not HMS) and they shipped it using just two layers of bubble wrap and shipping tape (no box or anything else). Luckily it was in a hard case and neither the uke or case was damaged.

So, I'll bet your uke arrives fine (unless it was shipped parcel post).

2manistrings
01-24-2017, 02:36 PM
My vote is, "Undamaged, but well played with a dozen or so notes added to the case by Uke-playing postal workers."

Scooter

+ LOL me too. Safe travels for the uke, any uke!

Kyle23
01-25-2017, 08:31 AM
The uke is here. My friend is unbelievable... It's definitely in a gig bag sooooo if anyone wants to change their vote before I open it, now's the time hahaha

Kyle23
01-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Gunna need some wood glue. The neck is detached a bit from the body.

Doc_J
01-25-2017, 09:55 AM
We need pictures!

DownUpDave
01-25-2017, 10:22 AM
The uke is here. My friend is unbelievable... It's definitely in a gig bag sooooo if anyone wants to change their vote before I open it, now's the time hahaha

Yeah.....gig bag changes everything. Less protection than a diaper, sorry about the situation over all. I agree with Hodge some pictures would be nice.....well maybe not nice :uhoh:

Debussychopin
01-25-2017, 10:40 AM

This is unfortunate. It is a pricey uke mishandled by the couriers. Well, you can't blame them. Hope it works out for you.

Kyle23
01-25-2017, 10:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/LOm5jpm.jpg

I'm not home anymore so that's the only picture I have.

Scatterbrain
01-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Sorry it arrived damaged :( Hopefully some good glue can fix that but I am no luthier!

dwh
01-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Your friend is a generous numbskull!

willisoften
01-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Bummer - even if it's not a super -expensive instrument I hate to see anything needlessly damaged - not even vandalised bus-shelters.
At least you haven't lost anything and he may still be able to claim insurance despite inadequate packaging. Sorry you were disappointed.

Debussychopin
01-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I know usps has automatically a $50 insurance applied to any priority mail parcel. At least you can claim that for a repair bill.

experimentjon
01-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Much respect to UPS for taking care of that package.

Kind of reminds me of the European bicycle company shipping their bikes in TV boxes so that shippers would take better care of them.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/25/13048668/vanmoof-shipping-damages-dutch-bicycle-design

Kyle23
01-25-2017, 11:01 PM
I feel like it'll be okay if I get some glue in there. Any tips on how much glue/how long to let it sit?

Booli
01-25-2017, 11:30 PM

YIKES!

So sorry brother. Just remember it can always be worse.

Kyle23
01-26-2017, 12:58 PM
It's okay. I'm kind of used to things not fully panning out for me. Something always throws it off.

I just noticed this though, it seems like it was already repaired. There's a bit of glue on the side of the fretboard. So maybe that's why it broke.

Kyle23
05-10-2017, 10:47 PM
After 4 months I finally decided to give it a go. I put some multi purpose cement stuff in there and clamped it down. It seems to be holding pretty well, but who knows how long that will last. The good part is is the neck was never fully detached. The fretboard was still connected to the body and was holding on pretty strongly. It was just the heel of the neck that was detached. If this doesn't work, I'll get some wood glue tomorrow.

redpaul1
05-11-2017, 01:12 AM
After 4 months I finally decided to give it a go. I put some multi purpose cement stuff in there and clamped it down. It seems to be holding pretty well, but who knows how long that will last. The good part is is the neck was never fully detached. The fretboard was still connected to the body and was holding on pretty strongly. It was just the heel of the neck that was detached. If this doesn't work, I'll get some wood glue tomorrow.

As has already been suggested, the glue you need is Titebond (http://www.titebond.com/woodworking_glues.aspx). But I've had that happen to me a few times (on an early design Kala slimline tenor - with a very slimline heel!). Rather than do-it-myself, I took it to a local luthier to be fixed. Cost? 20 for the first repair, and pretty much free after that, as he reckoned it was his fault if it went a 2nd time (which was very nice of him, since the problem was in the design, not his craftsmanship). I don't know how much Titebond costs in Buffalo NY, but I'd guess it'd be not much less than half the price of a luthier repair.

Kyle23
05-11-2017, 07:15 AM
I was reading up on that glue and was going to try that out if the stuff I had didn't work. I just took it off the clamps and it seems to be holding really well! I think she's going to be okay!

redpaul1
05-11-2017, 01:31 PM
I was reading up on that glue and was going to try that out if the stuff I had didn't work. I just took it off the clamps and it seems to be holding really well! I think she's going to be okay!

Good to hear. Wish you well.

Kyle23
05-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Good to hear. Wish you well.

Thank you. So the cement stuff is holding, but it stretched a bit so I put the clamps back on. It says it takes 24 hours to cure, so it's been about 18. Idk if it will be any better in 6 hours.