NUD: KoAloha Black Label LAVA

buganeal

Reaction score
When I started my uke journey not too long ago, all I craved for was a KoAloha Red label...they were and still are relatively hard to find so the thought of owning a Black label never really crossed my mind.

During this time, I have had the chance to own and play many other wonderful ukes but I have never owned a KoAloha before as I wanted my 1st KoAloha to be that special one. Kinda like the poster you hang on your wall as a kid and you tell yourself...someday....

Today, I am the lucky owner of the KoAloha LAVA.

Could have sworn the fret board in the original pictures from KoAloha's page were all black...but when I opened the case a few hours ago, was surprised to see the 20th anniversary inlays.

This Uke sounds rather distinct, you know how most ukes sound the same but not the same... this one has a sonic signature all of its own and it does stand out nicely from the pack.

A big thank you to Andrew, Zach, Joel, Corey for the sound demo and all at HMS for making this happen and to the wonderful people/ luthiers at KoAloha.

Time for the pics!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Nice looking uke. Are you in Singapore? Ukertommy sent me photos today of a ukulele that looked a lot like this one :)

Yes, I am :D was chatting with him and some of the guys last night.

Trying to understand, the pictures have a purple cast to them, is this the true color, or is that a Photoshop filter?

Trying to understand, the pictures have a purple cast to them, is this the true color, or is that a Photoshop filter?

I think they were going for a vintage lava lamp look. There is incredibly nice patterns in both the maple back and mango top!

Fabulous Uke. Congrats.

HMS is second to none to work with.

Congrats on scoring such a rare beauty. It's my understanding they can take several years to fulfill an order for one of these. I know because when I saw thi one, I asked Andrew about getting one like it but more black/gray.

You'll cherish for years! Enjoy!

Actually.. the uke in person is grey in colour. My room has warm lighting and I used the auto white balance from my phone along with a vignette frame filter.... let me go do a manual adjustment

1.jpg2.jpg

white balance and contrast adjustment

Last edited:
im frequently surprised more people don't like stained ukes.
I think the color looks great and makes the grain pop more.
Congrats on a beautiful uke.

Wow, stunning instrument, nice photos too! :shaka:

Congratulations, I saw the demo of this uke on the HMS Vimeo channel and wondered who grabbed it so quickly. Glad to see that it went to someone from our community!

By the way, the fretboard DOES look all black in the video as well...

Last edited:
im frequently surprised more people don't like stained ukes.
I think the color looks great and makes the grain pop more.
Congrats on a beautiful uke.
Agreed, this is a beautiful uke!

That is a stunning ukulele. I am rather partial to KoAlohas, for sound, warranty and customer service, but they really knocked it out of the park with this one. Congratulations!

Beautiful uke. Your second paragraph sums up exactly how I felt about getting a KoAloha.

Actually.. the uke in person is grey in colour. My room has warm lighting and I used the auto white balance from my phone along with a vignette frame filter.... let me go do a manual adjustment...white balance and contrast adjustment

Thanks for the clarification and the new photos. Now I understand.

Congratulations, I saw the demo of this uke on the HMS Vimeo channel and wondered who grabbed it so quickly. Glad to see that it went to someone from our community!...By the way, the fretboard DOES look all black in the video as well...

Yes this instrument is very special - the color, the sound, the KoAloha brand - what's not to love?

Congrats and best of luck with it :music:

Congratulations on this really beautiful instrument! It's lovely! :love:

Last edited:
Top Bottom