Martin OXK questions.

Griffis

Reaction score
Sorry to start so many threads in so short a time. I have been reading reviews of Martin's OXK uke, here and on other sites. I've read many threads here about this instrument.

One thing that concerns me is I've read of a few instances where the bridge has either lifted or come off.

Is this at all a common issue with the OXK?

I do not know that I will ever purchase another uke, and if I do it may just be an inexpensive plastic one. The OXK costs more than all my other ukes combined, but it may be just the one for me should I decide to take on another nicer ukulele.

I've owned Martin instruments for 40 years, love their products and history. Also prefer laminates because I travel a lot and don't want to worry about the vicissitudes of changes in temp, humidity, altitude, etc, on a solid wood uke.

If anyone has any further thoughts on the OXK, or info on the bridge issue, I'd love to hear it, even if for now I'm only window shopping.

Thanks, folks!

I really enjoy playing my OXK. It's only been a few months (Nov 2016), but it's been my go-to uke for gigs and weekly song circles. Absolutely no worries regarding temperature or precipitation :) In fact, it's in a soft case in my car, and it's 43 outside :)

anyway, it had less volume/loudness in the beginning, but now seems to have quite a voice, after playing it regularly for almost 3 months, (every Wed 2+hrs, plus frequent gigs, esp during Dec).

i got a really good deal via Reverb, under $200, so some deals are available if you look for them :)

I hope you will be able to get one. I think you'll enjoy it.

BTW, if soprano is not to your liking, Enya also makes a uke using HPL, both in concert or tenor sizes,
and I believe they both have radius fretboards as well :)

keep uke'in',

I have had my OXK for a few years. No issues with the bridge. I do have to tighten the tuner screws every winter when cold weather hits. I also have to use steel wool on the underside of laminate neck to make it smooth so it does not bother my thumb. Both are minor issues to me.

The sound is wonderful. I just put new Martin strings on it after 2+ years and it is really a joy to hear that clear voice it has.

I got a Martin 0XK used for about $200 online about 5 weeks ago, so I cannot speak to the bridge coming off.

Despite being used it is mint condition. I got it SPECIFICALLY because it was a Martin with more than 12 frets, AS WELL as it NOT being solid wood as I do not want to deal with humidity issues either like you.

Friction tuners hate me, so I replaced them with a set of Gotoh UPT-L planetary tuners and now all is well.

The nut width is a little wider than most sopranos, and this is the first soprano that I can really play comfortably, and I usually play tenor.

The saddle compensation is a little strange, and any other strings that are not Martin M600s the intonation is off a bit on all 4 strings, but thankfully I am a fan of the Martin strings, which are universally only about $5 like everywhere, so for me, it's ALL upside with the Martin 0XK.

In fact I like it so much, that I am thinking about getting the newly announced 0X Bamboo 'natural' soprano, but @ $350 MAP, it's going to be a stretch for me.

Why get another HPL 'formica' Martin?

Different tunings of course, either D6 (A-D-F#-B) or in fifths GDAE same octave/notes as a mandolin (I do NOT want to play a steel string mando, and Aquila has a specific string set called 30 that does GDAE on soprano quite well, I already have them installed on a cheapo $30 laminate)

Also, BONANZA UKULELES makes HPL (like formica) ukes in all sizes, as well as at least 3 different body shapes, in about a dozen or so colors/patterns, in sizes from soprano to baritone right, all made here in the USA and is a one-man luthier shop Pete Mai. Search BONANZA and you will see the half-dozen or so threads about them and folks doing NUD threads since Nov 2016 or so...they start at about $200 for a soprano...

^^^ Booli, as usual you are a font of information. Thanks to all.

I did not even realize the OXK had more than 12 frets! That and the wider fingerboard are exciting features to me. I've played many different string instruments over several decades, but electric and upright bass were my.mainstays through most of those years, so a slightly wider board sounds ace.

I am with you on friction pegs. Even though I played violin family instruments a great deal, I don't care for them on ukuleles. I had already planned, should I ever actually buy an OXK, to swap for geared tuners.

I am glad to see you are enjoying yours. Who knows, come tax return time I may wind up with an OXK. It'd be nice to have a Martin again.

I am just struggling to be a minimalist. I own as little as possible and hope to limit any purchases of "permanent" items going forward. I only have four ukes. Of those, two are sopranos, so an OXK might be frivolous, but perhaps I'd sell my Gretsch (which is a fine uke in its own right, IMO.)

I don't mess with alternate tunings much anymore. But when I played guitar, fiddle and banjo I was always experimenting with them.

Anyways, I'm yakking too much, as usual.

I'll sure report back if I land one. Meantime, still happy to hear any more about the OXK model.

I bought an OXK model quite a while ago, I think I saw a review by "UKEEKU" and bought it immediately afterwards. Unfortunately I never liked it,
it sounded OK, great sustain, intonation was Ok too, but too me it felt chunky, heavy and unbalanced.

I sold it on to a music teacher friend, at distinct loss, I know it's her only Ukulele, and I know that after 5 years or so of constant use it's still in good order.

I bought an OXK model quite a while ago, I think I saw a review by "UKEEKU" and bought it immediately afterwards. Unfortunately I never liked it,
it sounded OK, great sustain, intonation was Ok too, but too me it felt chunky, heavy and unbalanced.

I sold it on to a music teacher friend, at distinct loss, I know it's her only Ukulele, and I know that after 5 years or so of constant use it's still in good order.

Haven't we all sold things of ours of little use still like new at a distinct loss lol. I'm a pro at that.

But at least we gain knowledge and experience I consider valuable. Or else, I'll always be ..curious , what if? I rather lose a hundred here, a hundred there, (of course, occasionally mind you) and figure out what I like and what works for me. Something I can't gain by just trying out in store.
And I'm not one to buy to use and return to mess with someone's return policy.

My last guitar I sold was a $200 loss and I never played it. Just looked at it and held it out of its hard case a few times over a course of a few months.

Back on topic. I was as well curious about oxk model but was afraid it would be over built and heavy. The above reply confirmed it.
The first thing I dislike about guitars and ukes is if they are heavier than what they should be.

I've had my OXK for a couple of years now and its bridge hasn't moved so far. It is slightly head heavy but a uke leash took care of that for me. UPTL tuners are a great upgrade although the stock friction tuners work okay if you don't mind fiddling with them from time to time. (Mine loosened up in Winter.)

I always play it with a strap fastened at heel and lower bout, so the weight is inconsequential.

I always play it with a strap fastened at heel and lower bout, so the weight is inconsequential.

Aye! On every single one of my more than dozen ukes, I have a strap.

I simply do not care to please the droning chorus of naysayers and traditionalists that consider this blasphemy on a uke, esp. a soprano. I do what makes it work for ME, and there is NO SHAME in using a strap.

Having said that, my strap on my Martin 0XK is at the butt-end and then tied to the headstock behind the nut, so balance is a non-issue and is completely removed for even the slightest consideration and one less thing to think about.

Booli, I am with you on the straps too. I am somewhat of a traditionalist as far as things I myself enjoy owning and playing, but I always like seeing innovation. I may not care for a uke, for example, that looks like a Gibson Flying V guitar with a candy apple metallic paint job, but when I see one in a store, or if I saw someone playing one, I think "Cool!"

Also equip all my ukes with geared tuners. I'm more interested in ease of use than being a purist.

I wanted to comment on your comment regarding Martin uke strings. I tried them for the first time on a cheapo no-name Japanese soprano that a friend of mine and I recently resurrected. The uke had been through a flood that took most of my family's possessions and though it's not worth anything as far as value, it means a lot to me. We reset the bridge, cleaned the hell out of it, injected glue under the fretboard and clamped, replaced tuners...

I decided to try Martins because GHS Black Hawaiians were the only other option at the local music shop and I've had those before and was kind of meh about them.

I wish the Martins were a little thicker in guage, but that's my only complaint.

Not saying I'll never use any other strings, but they sure are sweet and clear on this little beater uke.

...I wanted to comment on your comment regarding Martin uke strings ...
I decided to try Martins because GHS Black Hawaiians were the only other option at the local music shop and I've had those before and was kind of meh about them.

I wish the Martins were a little thicker in guage, but that's my only complaint.

Not saying I'll never use any other strings, but they sure are sweet and clear on this little beater uke.

Fluoro strings will nearly ALWAYS be thinner gauges than nylon due to fluorocarbon having a greater material density than nylon, i.e., nylon needs more mass (weight).

I have used the M600 'soprano/concert' strings on tenors, as well as the M620 'tenor' strings on concert and soprano with no ill effects at all. The sound of the swap and tension/feel/brightness/intonation changes enough between each set either way that you swap.

Don't let folks tell you that OMG you CANNOT do this, they are simply ignorant and/or lack meaningful experience.

I have tried over 100 different sets of strings over the past 3 yrs, and in many cases simply IGNORE the labeling on the string pack for what scale length if I am trying to fine tune for a certain aspect of playability or tone.

Worths even has 15 different sets EACH for brown and clear, and only the CT/BT for tenor, and BB for baritone are labeled specifically, and the rest just have a name suggesting the gauges along a wide spectrum.

If you are not happy with the M600s, you can try the M620s which is really the next gauge up, and from there the Living Waters (tenor set), Oasis Brights, Fremont, PhD, Worth CT/BT are ALL in fact the same gauges with 0.022" on the A string and 0.024" on the G string, with most as 0.026"/0.027" for the E string and either 0.0291" or 0.0319" for the C string.

The Martin strings have the thickest C string with 0.034" and this improves tension and thus intonation on all 3 scale lengths of soprano-concert-tenor...yes the C string does not change betw the M600 and M620 sets...

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
I con't speak directly about the OXK but I have a little Martin LX guitar that is awesome sounding and plays great.

Haven't we all sold things of ours of little use still like new at a distinct loss lol. I'm a pro at that.

But at least we gain knowledge and experience I consider valuable. Or else, I'll always be ..curious , what if? I rather lose a hundred here, a hundred there, (of course, occasionally mind you) and figure out what I like and what works for me. Something I can't gain by just trying out in store.
And I'm not one to buy to use and return to mess with someone's return policy.

My last guitar I sold was a $200 loss and I never played it. Just looked at it and held it out of its hard case a few times over a course of a few months.

Back on topic. I was as well curious about oxk model but was afraid it would be over built and heavy. The above reply confirmed it.
The first thing I dislike about guitars and ukes is if they are heavier than what they should be.

Unfortunately the local selection of Ukuleles is limited and trial by post is an expensive and inconvenient way to find what you like. I'm not comfortable with returns for no good reason either. So you have to just suck it up sometimes.

I'd like to stress that chunky heavy and unbalanced is my opinion only. I wouldn't like to defend it in court!
Again in my opinion only, the Kiwaya KS1 is a better handling instrument and in my opinion better sounding too, however from memory I think the OXK sustains a note for longer.
Swings, roundabouts, snakes and ladders personal opinion and predjudice, without them we'd all practice more and sound better :D

Last edited:
I purchased a Martin OXK just before Christmas in 2015 from an email retailer of instrument strings and paid under $200 shipped. It's a fun little instrument. I did have to smooth the fret edges as they were very sharp. You could shave with the hpl edge on the headstock. A little very fine grit sandpaper fixed that. I did have to lower the action a bit. And to specifically answer your question, the bridge came off within three days. A bit a super glue fixed that and the bridge alignment is not a problem as it's partly held in place with two stainless steel pins. It's a great travel companion. I just use the standard Martin strings as they are cheap and readily available. I like it enough that it has me thinking about a Martin S1.

<SNIP> I just use the standard Martin strings as they are cheap and readily available. I like it enough that it has me thinking about a Martin S1.

I also tried the S1 and in the long term it wasn't for me, however, for what it's worth I thought it was a good instrument.
It gets a bad rep for being too expensive for what it is, and I suppose theres a premium for the name on the headstock but the main complaint seems to be thats it's made in Mexico.
It isn't the vintage Martin that most players in the US seem to crave either.
IMO The worst thing about the S1 was the gig bag which was more of a dust jacket than anything.

I had the OXK near the end of last year. I loved it but got the S1 out of interest, maybe the halo effect of the OXK.

The S1 ticked all the boxes for me and being a one uke guy i returned the OXK. The S1 like all Martin's really showed it true colours after a over a month of daily play. Seriously love that uke and see why maybe the 'tyre kickers' of music shops may pass by Martin and go home happy with an Ohana etc.

Age is good to the Martin's.

As for the OXK, if an all weather ukulele with the Martin flavour is what your looking for I'd go for it. Mine was flawless with perfect intonation and no sharp fret edges etc. Looked good too. I especially liked the back of the neck. Call me strange. :)

I've had my 0XK for 3 or 4 years now and still absolutely LOVE it! The bridge did start to lift a bit when it was new but it was fixed by the dealer under warranty. No issues since.

Well, I will just pray that I do not have the bridge lifting issues with my own 0XK. It is my first Martin anything, and I plan to play the snot out of it, so hopefully I can do that to at least show some fingernail scuffs by the soundhole before the bridge flies off...

Also, I should add for Griffis, re: my previous comments about putting the 'wrong' strings on different scale ukes...

The precious soprano uke that you saved from the flood, may not be a good candidate for this experimentation due to the damage it suffered (primarily due to the possibly weakened structural integrity), NOR would any uke that is very lightly built, as a few pounds of added tension MAY cause problems, but for most laminate ukes, and those with thicker tops that are in fact braced 'properly', my previous comments should still stand.

However, it is incumbent upon the player to be aware if the specific uke in question could handle higher tension strings (please do your own research and do not depend ONLY upon my humble opinion), and I take no responsibility for any damage. Proceed at your own risk!

Just after I bought my 0XK (less than $150 at a grand-opening sale for a music store), I picked up the Kiwaya at another shop. The Kiwaya is lighter, and given the choice, for a comparable price I might have chosen the Kiwaya. That said, the Martin, along with my Fluke, is one that I gravitate to all the time when I just want to pick up something and play.

Top Bottom