WTB Baritone Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSUker

Reaction score
Looking for a decent baritone ukulele somewhere in the $150-300 range. Doesn't need to be beautiful, not concerned about vintage/mass-produced, just want a solid player (or perhaps a fixer-upper for the right price). Solid top, straight neck and no cracks/separations are the only musts.

Waddaya got?

It is too bad that Caramel is off on their Chinese New Years break because I would suggest a Caramel CB-103, about $85 US shipped with Aquila strings. I've had mine for a year now and I have compared it to a lot of much pricier Baritones in my local shop and haven't found anything that is better for less than $700, and even then it's almost a push. The CB-103 is a laminated Zebra wood gloss finished, 20" scale and mine came set up perfectly, intonation is very good and only the fret ends needed a bit of filing. It has a nice voice and good projection is light in weight with nice balance. The few Oscar Shimtz I've played tended to have a heavy head stock.

My neighbor has a CB-500 Rosewood one and it is very close to but does not match the CB-103, even though it is $95 US delivered.

If your ego can't abide playing a inexpensive Uke, the best almost equivalent I found was a Kala cedar topped baritone that sells for ~ $300. But whatever you end up with, a baritone is a great instrument.

Do try a High d on it. Re-entrant tuning makes it sound like a Uke, (IMHO). I'm running Worth Brown BB's on mine. If you want to try Worth's with a high d get the Brown Fats for a tenor, they are the same as the BB but with a High g, which I use for a high d.

Last edited:
Vegas from the 50s can be found for 150 or less depending on condition. I have one that the decal is mostly worn off. Nice solid player. The Harmony Baritones aren't too bad and can be found for even less.

Vegas from the 50s can be found for 150 or less depending on condition. I have one that the decal is mostly worn off. Nice solid player. The Harmony Baritones aren't too bad and can be found for even less.

Both great callouts, and much appreciated. At this point, I'm really just looking to see if anyone in the community has a bari that needs a new home before I pull the trigger somewhere else.

Have you ever heard of a Gianinni instrument ? I have a Gianinni guitar and three baritone ukuleles. All are solid mahogany made in Brazil. I would sell one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom