Score more.

Rllink

Reaction score
For some reason I feel like moving the discussion here. I guess because I don't go to the Luthier forum that much, and it is built now. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124964-Score But I was a bit disappointed when I got it strung and started playing it, that it sounded supper tinny and it had very little projection. So I have a set of Nylguts here and after giving it a couple of weeks, I took off the fluorocarbons that came in the kit that I bought and strung it up with the Nylguts. I like it a little better with the Nylguts. Not a huge change, but honestly, when I experiment with strings I never get that magical transformation that so many seem to experience, so my expectations were not real high. So I'm going to see what happens from here. So that is just an update.

Last edited:
I never get that magical transformation that so many seem to experience, so my expectations were not real high. So I'm going to see what happens from here. So that is just an update.

I know what you mean about the strings. If I am not happy with strings on a particular uke, I will change them once and call it good. Maybe if your cigar box uke is not ever going to produce a tone that makes you happy, install a pickup and totally electrify the sound.

I know what you mean about the strings. If I am not happy with strings on a particular uke, I will change them once and call it good. Maybe if your cigar box uke is not ever going to produce a tone that makes you happy, install a pickup and totally electrify the sound.

I have a perfectly good uke to play. I don't know how much more effort I want to put into this project. I think it is what it is.

If you go to the thread that is shown in my first post you will see a bunch of them.

You did great! Really, you should be proud!

I think this CBU just needs time to get used to its new life making music versus holding cigars.

I think it was an awesome first build.
You may have over braced it and the sound holes are smallish.
I think it's very pretty and creative.
Lastly, sometimes the wood on the bottom of the box is thinner and sounds better but it never looks as good.

I think it was an awesome first build.
You may have over braced it and the sound holes are smallish.
I think it's very pretty and creative.
Lastly, sometimes the wood on the bottom of the box is thinner and sounds better but it never looks as good.
I wondered about the sound holes, and the bracing. The top of the ukulele is actually the bottom of the box, just for the reason that you stated. I would drill a side hole, but I really don't care to play it to myself, I want others to hear it. I've been pondering if I could add some sound holes and wondering if that would make a difference or not. Maybe use the same pattern and go down with it. Or I could just throw an active pickup in it and fire it up. Or I could just hang it on the wall.

Top Bottom