Hawaii Uke vacation (suggestions?)

amford

Reaction score
Hi

I am starting to plan a vacation trip to Hawaii. I want to do as many Ukulele related things as I can. EG, tour factories, see concerts, learn as much as I can, etc. Does anyone have suggestions? ~Thanks

Hi

I am starting to plan a vacation trip to Hawaii. I want to do as many Ukulele related things as I can. EG, tour factories, see concerts, learn as much as I can, etc. Does anyone have suggestions? ~Thanks

There are a lot of islands in Hawaii. I know that Aldrine and the UU crew are based in Kauai, so that would be a place that is worth checking out. Also, when I was in Maui last year, I very much enjoyed shopping at Mele ukulele. They didn't have a factory tour, and they aren't exactly high-end ukuleles, but I'm still over the moon with my purchase from there.

There are a couple of kanikapilas behind the Police Station at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, where
the hotels end and Waikiki Beach 'begins' :) These are informal jams on Thurs and Sunday nights, 8-10p!
you'll be asked for a selection of a song, either as a solo or for the group to sing and play, usually accompanied by hula dancers.

Check with Joe Souza and Kanile'a Ukuleles for a song circle at the Windward Mall. I've not been to one, but I believe they hold them regularly. Also, the Kanile'a factory tour is available in Kaneohe.

Of course, check with Kamaka and Koaloha for their times and dates :)

keep uke'in',

PS just for fun, there are also ukulele vendors at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, Weds, Sat, and Sundays.

Awesome info, Rod!

I'm thinking of my first trip too. I would probably go to Oahu and go through the Big K tours and visit HMS. Maybe rent a place on either VRBO or Airbnb.

Also thought of doing a cruise around the Islands, which would give me about a day on each one. But, I think a week or so on Oahu might be a good start.

How much are shuttle flights to the other islands?
:shaka:

Last edited:
All of the above. I believe the Windward Mall get together are the first Tuesday of the month. Call Kanilea. I attended one last summer. Also take a drive to the North Shore to visit HMS.
Don't forget to eat the great local food. Kin Wah in Kaneohe has my favorite Chinese food. One of Roy Sakuma's studios is right above it. For the best dessert try some Okinawan Sweet Potato lie from Ani's Bakery in Aieia.

Great thread! I'm also planning a heavily uke-influenced Hawaii vacation. If the stars align correctly, this is in the plans: http://www.ukulelefestivalhawaii.org/en/oahu/ Thanks for the info about the kanikapilas & grub!

On Oahu, Honey's on Sunday afternoons is where many of Hawai'i's traditional musicians go. 'Ukulele Pua Pua in Waikiki is a great shop and Tyler's a great guy. The 'Ukulele Site in Haleiwa, on the North Shore looks very cool, too. Sunday evenings at the Marriott's roof top bar on Waikiki still features traditional music too, I believe. Aunty Genoa's neice, I believe, plays there with a great band.

I was in Waikiki last month and visited Ukulele Pua Pua and it is a great little shop, however Tyler is not there anymore. He opened his own shop, the Ukulele Store at 226 Lewers Street, Suite 218 (second floor). He has ukuleles for beginners as well a two daily lessons for them, all the "K" brands, and has the most custom ukuleles that I have seen under one roof. Tyler, and his manager Jesse, were very friendly and knowledgeable. I was able to try more ukuleles than I ever dreamed of at his store. Among those custom ukuleles that I remembered trying were I'iwi, Lymana, Maui Music Co., G-String, Ana'ole, several Ko'olau, Kala elite, Koa Rhythms, Pegasus, and DeVine, as well as some that I don't remember the names of. This is the one ukulele store in Waikiki that you don't want to miss if you are in the area. I was really glad that I found this place, because I was able to compare and contrast many ukuleles and I wasn't able to get to HMS in the North Shore.

Top Bottom