PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your saw is not long enough

Timbuck
01-28-2017, 11:23 PM
You just weld two blades together ;)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/big%20tree_zps7payhuxn.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/big%20tree_zps7payhuxn.jpg.html)

Stagehand
01-29-2017, 04:21 AM
That is quite a misery whip!

tobinsuke
01-29-2017, 06:08 AM
Yikes! I wonder how long that took!

Wait, where's the stump?

kkimura
01-29-2017, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near when that tree fell.

Rrgramps
01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
That's an amazing tree. Would love to hear the story, and see the YouTube clip of it being sawn. It looks like Ken is on the ladder, and Janet is on the ground directing the momentous event of Ken and his bud felling the mammoth tree of choice tonewood with muscle power. They'll be quartering and stickering tomorrow. Gonna be quite a stack, and Ken will have a lifetime supply of choice wood for all the sopranos he can dream of -- and more, much more. Doncha just wish it were true. What a dream.

sequoia
01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Yeah I live in redwood country and there are plenty of huge old stumps around my house in the woods that are plenty big but that one is big by even local standards. Think of this: after that tree was felled it had to be bucked up into 12 foot lengths. And the tree might have been 350 feet long. That was when the misery saw really came in. Brutal hard work. Then you had to get the logs to the sawmill some of which weighed 10 tons or more and you had to move them out of dense woods for great distances! Cutting them down was easy compared to getting them out. How they did it is a very interesting story. Also when they started cutting these gigantic trees they had no idea how they were going to get them out. Hint: Water. Lots of water. Redwood floats. Mostly.... So you spent a month cutting that monster down, got the logs to the river only to see it sink like a stone to the bottom. Bummer. Thus the sinker log and sinker redwood that makes such lovely ukuleles. And commands such high prices. Beware! Not all "sinker" redwood that is sold on the market is true sinker redwood. A lot of it is just plain old redwood. Don't pay those big prices unless you are sure. Does it make a difference. You betcha it does... Maybe. Maybe not. Sure does look pretty though.

ksquine
01-31-2017, 06:21 AM
Its one thing to cut it down.....another thing to cut it up!!

Did that lady really wear that dress for tree cutting??

Ukemakinmecrazy
02-08-2017, 08:51 AM
A resaw of that would make a nice super baritone. :)

BluesPreacher
02-08-2017, 12:42 PM
That sounded at first like a medical problem! (Ooo...did I just say that?)

Red Cliff
02-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Ken, surely the answer is to turn the lights off :o