Any info on the Aquila carbonblack strings?

hammer40

Reaction score
The Aquila website still doesn't have any real info on what these strings are made of. Just that they think they are "better" than fluorocarbon strings. Does anybody have any information on what they are made of? I don't know that they have even been released yet.

There was an earlier thread on these strings. Booli got an advanced set for a trial run. Not sure when they will be released for retail, but I think soon. I am very interested in them based on Booli's initial impression.

There was an earlier thread on these strings. Booli got an advanced set for a trial run. Not sure when they will be released for retail, but I think soon. I am very interested in them based on Booli's initial impression.

I saw that thread, but never saw the follow up video he mentioned.

I talked to Booli the other day. He was really sick for several days, but he's working on his review.

As we all know, Booli doesn't do anything half way so his review should be remarkably thorough.

Scooter

Yes, folks...

A video and details will be coming.

I was knocked down for a few days with a really bad sore throat and sinus infection, plus, had to give the strings time to properly settle which is at least a week in my experience with 1 hr play per day.

I do NOT artificially stretch strings even though so many folks swear by it, for me it nearly always causes intonation problems.

I will try to record the videos today, and then with editing etc should have them online in 48-72 hrs or so.

Sorry for the delay, but you know 'life happens'...

Stay Tuned! :)

Yes, folks...

As much as I love your reviews, the first and only priority has to be to take care of yourself, and get well!!! Everything else can wait.

Since I'm new to the ukulele world, what do you mean by "artificially stretched?"

Since I'm new to the ukulele world, what do you mean by "artificially stretched?"

I assume by that he means he lets them settle in by tuning up, playing and retuning as needed. I use this method as well. Some like to try and pre-stretch, or pull on the strings by hand in an attempt to get them to settle in faster.

Yes, folks...

I was knocked down for a few days with a really bad sore throat and sinus infection, plus, had to give the strings time to properly settle which is at least a week in my experience with 1 hr play per day.

I do NOT artificially stretch strings even though so many folks swear by it, for me it nearly always causes intonation problems.

I will try to record the videos today, and then with editing etc should have them online in 48-72 hrs or so.

No need to apologise. Hope you are feeling better. I just thought I missed the followup on these new strings.

I assume by that he means he lets them settle in by tuning up, playing and retuning as needed. I use this method as well. Some like to try and pre-stretch, or pull on the strings by hand in an attempt to get them to settle in faster.

Exactly.

I let them stretch by playing and constantly retuning, and not by pulling on the strings, which for me always causes intonation problems.

Some folks love to do that, but it is not the method I use. I prefer to 'let it happen' from string vibration, which takes anywhere from 8-12 hrs of actual PLAYING time and can be done in about 10-14 days, which is fine by me.

Multiply this effort across a set each of soprano, concert and tenor strings, on three different ukuleles, one of each scale lengths, all restrung at the same time, with the new Aquila CarbonBlack strings, and it's lots of playing and retuning, all of it therapy for me which I do not mind in the least, and it forces me to practice more any way. :music:

To me, pulling on the strings is akin to yelling at the yeast in your freshly mixed bread dough, demanding the bread to rise FASTER, and it does so begrudgingly and with resentment. Not a nice start to a relationship.

Patience is a virtue. :)

Exactly.

I let them stretch by playing and constantly retuning, and not by pulling on the strings, which for me always causes intonation problems.

Some folks love to do that, but it is not the method I use. I prefer to 'let it happen' from string vibration, which takes anywhere from 8-12 hrs of actual PLAYING time and can be done in about 10-14 days, which is fine by me.

Multiply this effort across a set each of soprano, concert and tenor strings, on three different ukuleles, one of each scale lengths, all restrung at the same time, with the new Aquila CarbonBlack strings, and it's lots of playing and retuning, all of it therapy for me which I do not mind in the least, and it forces me to practice more any way. :music:

To me, pulling on the strings is akin to yelling at the yeast in your freshly mixed bread dough, demanding the bread to rise FASTER, and it does so begrudgingly and with resentment. Not a nice start to a relationship.

Patience is a virtue. :)

Thanks Booli. Good Advice! :agree:

This isn't a string winding thread, but I don't find any need to mess around with any of that "over under" business with the tuning pegs...the excess material "bends" in place and the resulting tightening provides plenty of "grab" without having to re-feed through the tuning heads. All my Kalas came like that...and there is no need for it.

The only strings that need extra slack in the line are Cs and lower.

True, if a string breaks, you need a new string and cannot salvage material for an emergency repair...but you weren't going to keep that string anyway.

I also wind under with the bridge so the tails point down towards the first string (before clipping) as I run into the tails if they point towards me.

This isn't a string winding thread, but I don't find any need to mess around with any of that "over under" business with the tuning pegs...the excess material "bends" in place and the resulting tightening provides plenty of "grab" without having to re-feed through the tuning heads. All my Kalas came like that...and there is no need for it.

I find I need to feed them back through for the thinnest stings especially fluorocarbon. Its frustrating when they let go just as the string is coming up to the right tension. I guess its a case of an ounce of prevention, a stitch in time and all that.

Yes dude. am I too old? ah ah
by the way: I have just made some 10,000 sets each for any ukulele size. what crazy job; a lot of difficults. I hope to find out a few spare time to install one on my uke.:eek:
Do not worry Booli, take your time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom