PDA

View Full Version : Any info on the Aquila carbonblack strings?

hammer40
01-29-2017, 04:50 AM
The Aquila website still doesn't have any real info on what these strings are made of. Just that they think they are "better" than fluorocarbon strings. Does anybody have any information on what they are made of? I don't know that they have even been released yet.

Osprey
01-29-2017, 04:57 AM
There was an earlier thread on these strings. Booli got an advanced set for a trial run. Not sure when they will be released for retail, but I think soon. I am very interested in them based on Booli's initial impression.

hammer40
01-29-2017, 05:50 AM
There was an earlier thread on these strings. Booli got an advanced set for a trial run. Not sure when they will be released for retail, but I think soon. I am very interested in them based on Booli's initial impression.

I saw that thread, but never saw the follow up video he mentioned.

Choirguy
01-29-2017, 06:11 AM
I don't know if there has been a follow-up yet.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124927-Aquila-carbon-black-new-strings&highlight=Black+Aquila

jollyboy
01-29-2017, 06:34 AM
I don't know if there has been a follow-up yet.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124927-Aquila-carbon-black-new-strings&highlight=Black+Aquila

I think he may have been distracted by the new iRig. Ooh... shiny things...

:smileybounce:

mimmo
01-30-2017, 03:31 AM

here are the Carbonblack guys
Take care
Mimmo

ScooterD35
01-30-2017, 04:02 AM
I talked to Booli the other day. He was really sick for several days, but he's working on his review.

As we all know, Booli doesn't do anything half way so his review should be remarkably thorough.

Scooter

Booli
01-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Yes, folks...

A video and details will be coming.

I was knocked down for a few days with a really bad sore throat and sinus infection, plus, had to give the strings time to properly settle which is at least a week in my experience with 1 hr play per day.

I do NOT artificially stretch strings even though so many folks swear by it, for me it nearly always causes intonation problems.

I will try to record the videos today, and then with editing etc should have them online in 48-72 hrs or so.

Sorry for the delay, but you know 'life happens'...

Stay Tuned! :)

keod
01-30-2017, 05:44 AM
Yes, folks...

As much as I love your reviews, the first and only priority has to be to take care of yourself, and get well!!! Everything else can wait.

dhbailey
01-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Since I'm new to the ukulele world, what do you mean by "artificially stretched?"

hammer40
01-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Since I'm new to the ukulele world, what do you mean by "artificially stretched?"

I assume by that he means he lets them settle in by tuning up, playing and retuning as needed. I use this method as well. Some like to try and pre-stretch, or pull on the strings by hand in an attempt to get them to settle in faster.

hammer40
01-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Take care
Mimmo

Thanks for the pictures, they sure look good.

hammer40
01-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Yes, folks...

I was knocked down for a few days with a really bad sore throat and sinus infection, plus, had to give the strings time to properly settle which is at least a week in my experience with 1 hr play per day.

I do NOT artificially stretch strings even though so many folks swear by it, for me it nearly always causes intonation problems.

I will try to record the videos today, and then with editing etc should have them online in 48-72 hrs or so.

No need to apologise. Hope you are feeling better. I just thought I missed the followup on these new strings.

spookelele
01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc&feature=youtu.be&t=6m4s

HMS showing streatching.
Hmm... the link isn't honoring the time. Skip to 6m4s for the streatching.

Booli
01-30-2017, 12:21 PM
I assume by that he means he lets them settle in by tuning up, playing and retuning as needed. I use this method as well. Some like to try and pre-stretch, or pull on the strings by hand in an attempt to get them to settle in faster.

Exactly.

I let them stretch by playing and constantly retuning, and not by pulling on the strings, which for me always causes intonation problems.

Some folks love to do that, but it is not the method I use. I prefer to 'let it happen' from string vibration, which takes anywhere from 8-12 hrs of actual PLAYING time and can be done in about 10-14 days, which is fine by me.

Multiply this effort across a set each of soprano, concert and tenor strings, on three different ukuleles, one of each scale lengths, all restrung at the same time, with the new Aquila CarbonBlack strings, and it's lots of playing and retuning, all of it therapy for me which I do not mind in the least, and it forces me to practice more any way. :music:

To me, pulling on the strings is akin to yelling at the yeast in your freshly mixed bread dough, demanding the bread to rise FASTER, and it does so begrudgingly and with resentment. Not a nice start to a relationship.

Patience is a virtue. :)

Doc_J
01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Exactly.

I let them stretch by playing and constantly retuning, and not by pulling on the strings, which for me always causes intonation problems.

Some folks love to do that, but it is not the method I use. I prefer to 'let it happen' from string vibration, which takes anywhere from 8-12 hrs of actual PLAYING time and can be done in about 10-14 days, which is fine by me.

Multiply this effort across a set each of soprano, concert and tenor strings, on three different ukuleles, one of each scale lengths, all restrung at the same time, with the new Aquila CarbonBlack strings, and it's lots of playing and retuning, all of it therapy for me which I do not mind in the least, and it forces me to practice more any way. :music:

To me, pulling on the strings is akin to yelling at the yeast in your freshly mixed bread dough, demanding the bread to rise FASTER, and it does so begrudgingly and with resentment. Not a nice start to a relationship.

Patience is a virtue. :)

Thanks Booli. Good Advice! :agree:

Choirguy
01-30-2017, 02:45 PM
This isn't a string winding thread, but I don't find any need to mess around with any of that "over under" business with the tuning pegs...the excess material "bends" in place and the resulting tightening provides plenty of "grab" without having to re-feed through the tuning heads. All my Kalas came like that...and there is no need for it.

The only strings that need extra slack in the line are Cs and lower.

True, if a string breaks, you need a new string and cannot salvage material for an emergency repair...but you weren't going to keep that string anyway.

I also wind under with the bridge so the tails point down towards the first string (before clipping) as I run into the tails if they point towards me.

CheeeseBurger
01-30-2017, 03:48 PM
This isn't a string winding thread, but I don't find any need to mess around with any of that "over under" business with the tuning pegs...the excess material "bends" in place and the resulting tightening provides plenty of "grab" without having to re-feed through the tuning heads. All my Kalas came like that...and there is no need for it.

I find I need to feed them back through for the thinnest stings especially fluorocarbon. Its frustrating when they let go just as the string is coming up to the right tension. I guess its a case of an ounce of prevention, a stitch in time and all that.

OhioBelle
01-30-2017, 04:13 PM
they look good! is that you, mimmo?

Take care
Mimmo

and I hope you are feeling better, Booli!

mimmo
01-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Yes dude. am I too old? ah ah
by the way: I have just made some 10,000 sets each for any ukulele size. what crazy job; a lot of difficults. I hope to find out a few spare time to install one on my uke.:o
Do not worry Booli, take your time.

Dan Gleibitz
01-30-2017, 10:36 PM
by the way: I have just made some 10,000 sets each for any ukulele size. what crazy job; a lot of difficults.

10,000 sets! Wow!

Are they going to be available to purchase from your website?

Croaky Keith
01-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Well, if I buy a set to try, you'll only have 9,999 sets of my size left.... :)

mimmo
01-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Ciao Dan,
unfortunately things cannot be too fast. Mistakes happen when things are out of control, expecially on marketing strategies.
Aquila suffer to the fact that is often too fast. from a side it is good, from the nother side it is a mistake.
well, I think that my collaborators will add these Carbonblack in our webiste next week or so on.
This quantity is the initial stock. you see: the extruder is able to produce some 1,000 strings every 5 minutes or so on; so make not sense use a 20 mt long- plant just for 5 minutes per day. The machines are indeed nothing but easy to conduct. There is a initial waste of some 20,000 strings almost till you reach the stabilization of all the paramethers, then it start to be ok. yes ideed; this is a crazy job whose temperature in our rooms raise till 45 Celsius degree in summer time.

mimmo
01-31-2017, 12:03 AM
!! what the heck dudes,
I have seen that they have already done the job:
http://shop.aquilacorde.com/product-category/ukulele/carbonblack-series/#
they are faster than me :cool:

Croaky Keith
01-31-2017, 12:33 AM
Just took a quick look & see that the low G tenor set uses a wound string. :(
Plus, there are 2 wound strings in the baritone sets.

(Sorry, but I do not like wound strings!)

spookelele
01-31-2017, 05:00 AM

Not pulling on them guarantees intonation problems until they streatch.. sometimes for weeks.
Pulling them... "might" cause intonation problems later in the string life.
But by then.. you could have fret rub, or uneven streatching from bending, etc.

I stretch them.. and havent really had problems I would attribute to stretching them.
Of course... everyone has their own opinions. But it's mine that stretching is pretty low risk if you stretch them evenly and gently.

Booli
01-31-2017, 05:30 AM
Not pulling on them guarantees intonation problems until they streatch.. sometimes for weeks.
Pulling them... "might" cause intonation problems later in the string life.
But by then.. you could have fret rub, or uneven streatching from bending, etc.

I stretch them.. and havent really had problems I would attribute to stretching them.
Of course... everyone has their own opinions. But it's mine that stretching is pretty low risk if you stretch them evenly and gently.

Brother spookelele....

Please do whatever works for you. We each have our own methods. Discussion of which is often like a religious debate.

TL,DR; Everyone has a different method of string installation, and nobody has to be told what to do, unless a complete beginner needs help. I am just a crazy person, not content with the 'status quo'..

I do not fault anyone for their own methods. Nobody has to be 'wrong' for each of us to be 'right'.

My own method is based upon literally thousands of string changes, of over 100 different sets of strings, across more than a dozen ukes in the past three years as part of the process of being obsessed with getting the sound I hear in my head from each different uke (yes each a different sound by intent), which are combination of tension as dictated both by scale length and linear density (molecular weight) of the string material, the tone woods, and individual build and character of each instrument.

(yes I have spent a small FORTUNE on strings in the past 3 yrs)

Most folks either simply dont care because to them it 'sounds like an ukulele' or maybe they lack the hearing acuity to tell the difference in tone, and they are in a blissful state because they are no plagued by the relentless and unforgiving quest for the tone that might exist only in their imagination.

Whether confirmation bias or not, I have been able to realize the tone that I hear in my mind via the quest for the 'right' strings for the uke in hand. It makes me happy.

It seems that folks tire easily when strings are discussed as having the 'magical' ability to change the tone or playability of a uke, and that's fine for them, but I am on a mission and do not relent to simple answers like that which would be given to a child. I need and crave the most granular and atomic level of understanding that I can hold in my brain, otherwise I am just, well, not satisfied.

Sorry for the topic drift. Feel free to ignore this post if I've gone too far afield.

Mezcalero
01-31-2017, 05:44 AM
My own method is based upon literally thousands of string changes, of over 100 different sets of strings, across more than a dozen ukes in the past three years as part of the process of being obsessed with getting the sound I hear in my head from each different uke (yes each a different sound by intent), which are combination of tension as dictated both by scale length and linear density (molecular weight) of the string material, the tone woods, and individual build and character of each instrument.

(yes I have spent a small FORTUNE on strings in the past 3 yrs)

It's good to know I am not the only one who has spent more money on strings than some members have spent on ukuleles!

spookelele
01-31-2017, 06:20 AM
Sure Booli. We should all do what works for us and I did not mean to contradict you, just offer another opinion.

I was just adding because people read threads, and take one view as gospel, and then it sticks in their heads, right or less right.

I strongly believe people should try lots of things, and decide for themselves.

The guys at HMS have installed more strings than you and me combined many times over, and they stretch. That doesn't make them or me right, but it does mean that it's not unsafe to do so.

You're right that it can be a religious arguement, and I think going in that direction is pointless. People will believe what they believe for whatever reason. As long as they're happy with their opinion, that's great. But it doesn't hurt to try the other way.

Booli
01-31-2017, 07:04 AM
Sure Booli. We should all do what works for us and I did not mean to contradict you, just offer another opinion...

No worries brother.

I am glad to see and learn of other methods.

Sometimes I learn something new, and other times the lesson may serve to reinforce what I was doing previously.

I am no expert, nor would claim to be, and will forever be a student of many things.

In any case, it's all good to me. I bear no malice toward anyone, and enjoy the open sharing that is possible here on UU. :)

Thank you for sharing your information.

mimmo
01-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Hi guys
In the meantime while we are waiting Booli, I have just received this video from Brasil with the new Carbonblack aquila strings

https://youtu.be/z2On9pgMX_o

Mimmo

Croaky Keith
01-31-2017, 08:27 AM
They do sound good on that soprano. :)

Osprey
01-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Nice bright sound, I like them.

Zagabog
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Hi guys
In the meantime while we are waiting Booli, I have just received this video from Brasil with the new Carbonblack aquila strings

Mimmo

Here is the automatic English translation of the automatically generated Portuguese CC subtitles:

aloha
today luv to make a cover to show for
you
this novelty wake of the armpit carbon
pumps degrees with her team film
It was record in CD
with some aspects but not the
strumming
elephant
but the melody with the thumb
doing some slides
It rained vibrato
think of it is pretty cool a team well
cool that will not even pro bright
too much and also as little stuffy
No way a well - balanced team
Also the setting is very good and
volume is very cool
It is very nice to see the plant also
in addition to bankruptcy not in gargante
investment in materials such as carbon
net're also coming nylon rope around
novelty Carmonita very reliable
well approved and protesting in his
prologue some also test the
tenor concert head what
you've picked up your life there

So there you have it! Looks like you've been scooped, Booli. ;)

spookelele
01-31-2017, 09:58 AM
I would still like to hear them on a tenor.

Doug W
01-31-2017, 10:10 AM
Hi guys

Mimmo

I will have to get me a set or two!

Doug W
01-31-2017, 10:14 AM
this novelty wake of the armpit carbon
pumps degrees with her team film

All of my other string sets have fallen short in the armpit carbon category.

WCBarnes
01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Very nice! I can't wait to hear Booli's reviews (and for them to be available in stores). They sound very bright and responsive on that soprano!

Booli
01-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Here is the automatic English translation of the automatically generated Portuguese CC subtitles:
...So there you have it! Looks like you've been scooped, Booli. ;)

Ha Ha!

There's no competition here. It's all good.

Everyone is here to help each other, and if we are too competitive, than it makes folks greedy or selfish, which is not my purpose at all, ever.

I have been working on getting my video ready all day today, and will still need some time tomorrow to put it all together.

I think you will enjoy my video.

Thank you for your understanding. :) Mahalo, Grazie Mille, Xie-Xie, Gracias, Danke Schoen, etc....

Recovering Bassist
01-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Ha Ha!

There's no competition here. It's all good.

Everyone is here to help each other, and if we are too competitive, than it makes folks greedy or selfish, which is not my purpose at all, ever.

I have been working on getting my video ready all day today, and will still need some time tomorrow to put it all together.

I think you will enjoy my video.

Thank you for your understanding. :) Mahalo, Grazie Mille, Xie-Xie, Gracias, Danke Schoen, etc....

Dang dude, you sure know how to build up anticipation! LOL

hammer40
01-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Ok, I still can't find what they are made of. Nylon? They aren't fluorocarbon, and the website does not say what they are made of. Maybe the are just another version of Nylgut.

Dan Gleibitz
01-31-2017, 07:28 PM
!! what the heck dudes,
I have seen that they have already done the job:
http://shop.aquilacorde.com/product-category/ukulele/carbonblack-series/#
they are faster than me :cool:

Thanks mimmo!

Now I just have to keep refreshing the page until the stock shows up. :)

mimmo
01-31-2017, 07:36 PM
hey guys. Booli is right: no competition here. :D
Ukuele is wonderful for that.
I am axiously waiting about Booli; anyway I am far to stress him because my brother is doing a very serious an nice job for all us
take care from this could Italy.
Mimmo

Booli
02-01-2017, 02:11 AM
I would still like to hear them on a tenor.

Demos of soprano, concert and tenor CarbonBlack string sets are in my video, and on 3 quite different ukes.

Hopefully I can finish it and upload it today (this evening USA EST most likely). :)

mimmo
02-01-2017, 02:41 AM
well done Booli!
mimmo

hammer40
02-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Mimmo, can you tell us what they are made of? Your website does not list any information on that.

spookelele
02-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Mimmo, can you tell us what they are made of? Your website does not list any information on that.

In the other thread, mimo wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
well, These carbonblack strings are very new. we had no time to write more in the website. The first informations were done just a week or so on before Christmas Then it was the Christmas time and all factory went closed for holiday. At present they are still not in distribuition. I can say just a few things: this is a blend of plastics with increased density. I cannot tell you more. they are a bit smoother than the red series; the gauges are a bit fuller than these ones just to reach the fluorocarbon traditional higher tensions,
The colour is a very very dark metallic grey that seem to be black but actually is a deep dark grey.
Bolli, would you to be the first in to try them ( no cost of course) ?
if you agree please send me a PM.
If you will be happy with the sample I will take you a lot of money in your next order... ah ah
take care
geetings from a VERY could Italy. Ah guys, this is NOT the son's Country...
Mimmo
-----------------------------

Booli
02-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Demos of soprano, concert and tenor CarbonBlack string sets are in my video, and on 3 quite different ukes.

Hopefully I can finish it and upload it today (this evening USA EST most likely). :)

Yes, replying to myself here...

Some bad news...and so sorry to disappoint as I know many folks are waiting on me...

...the video will not be uploaded tonight due to 'technical difficulties' which I have been trying to resolve all day and now it's the day's end, so I will continue tomorrow and hopefully effect a fix, and then have the video available as soon as possible.

So sorry to have this drag out thus far and sorry for any inconvenience that has occurred.

It is not and was not my intention to make anyone suffer such extended anticipation as a result. But please know that I am doing this as a service to the community here and working as best that I can and will not be giving up until the video is posted for all to see.

Mahalo for your patience and understanding. :)

WCBarnes
02-01-2017, 02:27 PM
No need to apologize Booli! We are all just very excited. I personally cannot wait because I know how complete your review will be (solely based upon other reviews you have provided that were extremely informative). I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in to these so that we may benefit from your opportunity!

EDW
02-01-2017, 02:42 PM
You are just delaying to drive up interest, demand and Nielsen ratings! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it.

mimmo
02-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Do not worry Booli
you are kind; that last thing I have in aim is to stress you.
yes I know, many are anxious to hear the sound.. me too.
Of course, I have tryed them on my ukes but I am not a good damn player. :o

dudes, i cannot tell you which is the formula of a such crazy strings. whenever you know how they are made which is the advantage? you will play better?
mimmo

hammer40
02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Do not worry Booli
you are kind; that last thing I have in aim is to stress you.
yes I know, many are anxious to hear the sound.. me too.
Of course, I have tryed them on my ukes but I am not a good damn player. :o

dudes, i cannot tell you which is the formula of a such crazy strings. whenever you know how they are made which is the advantage? you will play better?
mimmo

I wasn't expecting your exact formula, I just wanted to know what material they were made from. Every other manufacturer will tell you what the string is made from. Whether that is nylon, fluorocarbon, nylgut, steel, phosphor bronze, 80/20 phosher bronze etc... They don't give you exact proprietary information, but they let you know what you are buying.

For some, that is important information you use to judge whether to buy something or not. if your looking for a particular sound you will choose an 80/20 over phosphor, silver wound will yield a different tone than bronze etc.. There is a big difference from a nylon string to a fluorocarbon string on my ukes. Hence, I don't buy one that I don't prefer. I can do that because the manufacturer tells me what it is that is in the package.

Will any string make me a better player, no. But I will get a particular enjoyment from the tone the differing materials can bring me. And to do that, it's nice to know what's in the package.

Somebody has pointed out, that in a previous thread, you did mentioned they were a blend of plastic. So, I guess that answers my question. Best of luck with your new strings.

southcoastukes
02-02-2017, 04:51 PM
...Every other manufacturer will tell you what the string is made from. Whether that is nylon, fluorocarbon, nylgut, steel, phosphor bronze, 80/20 phosher bronze etc... They don't give you exact proprietary information, but they let you know what you are buying.

For some, that is important information you use to judge whether to buy something or not. if your looking for a particular sound you will choose an 80/20 over phosphor, silver wound will yield a different tone than bronze etc.. There is a big difference from a nylon string to a fluorocarbon string on my ukes. Hence, I don't buy one that I don't prefer. I can do that because the manufacturer tells me what it is that is in the package...

Hello hammer,

We generally don't say what our strings are made of. There's a very good reason. Every term you used above is basically generic, and not particularly useful. The terms that refer to metal refer to a wrapping and not the core; neither do they take into account the radical difference in sound based on the percentage of metal to core. "Nylon" now comes in so many different formulae that some can be as bright as some flourocarbon. "Flourocarbon" comes in so many different formulae that some now have softer tones than strings that are technically classified as nylon. The generalizations you want to go by come from a bygone day.

"Blend of plastics" may not fit into a generic category, but it gives you an idea where things are going with string formulation; into areas that are too technical to be of any use to any player. So you're doing yourself a big disservice if you continue to "judge" what you'll receive by those antiquated terms.

Not to say that the great majority of string companies don't still use a somewhat generic version of those strings, especially the wound strings. But Aquila stands out as formulators of unique string material that gives sound not generally heard elsewhere. It may or may not work for you, but best not to try to pigeonhole what they'll make. Judge it on it's own terms. You'll come out ahead with more of an open perspective.

willisoften
02-02-2017, 09:39 PM
I don't care what they are made of but I'd like an explanation of why they are claimed to be superior, in general terms of comparison. I know what I want:
a thicker string;
behaves like flurocarbon;
tensions like nylon;
therefore - high tension behaviour on low tension strings :)
Or winning lottery numbers

Mezcalero
02-03-2017, 04:48 AM
I don't care what they are made of but I'd like an explanation of why they are claimed to be superior, in general terms of comparison. I know what I want:
a thicker string;
behaves like flurocarbon;
tensions like nylon;
therefore - high tension behaviour on low tension strings :)
Or winning lottery numbers

I like your description, getting the best of both worlds there. When I first started playing, I preferred all fluoro low G sets. Due to a bad NUD with Pono stock strings, I would never have tried wound strings again if not for a repetitive thread on Thomastik Infeld flat wounds. As my technique improved, and I started to record my instruments with different strings, I have come to prefer Smooth wound Low G & C with Savarez Alliance E & A. The Savarez Alliance are some type of fluorocarbon string but I find they have higher tension and warmer tone than most.

Though I generally agree with Dirk's comments, as a consumer I would like to have answers to these type of questions. Now, if someone said, I don't want to tell you because it is proprietary and I am protecting my formula, then I can accept that. But any other reason than that, falls short of acceptable to me personally, as a consumer.

BearMakingNoises
02-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Either way I am excited to try these on my main. I used reds for a long time and have been using the lavas for a while and love them! I set all my student's ukes up with nylaguts and have never had anything but great experiences with Aquila stuff.... I'm just feeling a bit down that I went to a one uke policy and can't have multiple instruments with multiple strings.

Mezcalero
02-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Either way I am excited to try these on my main. I used reds for a long time and have been using the lavas for a while and love them! I set all my student's ukes up with nylaguts and have never had anything but great experiences with Aquila stuff.... I'm just feeling a bit down that I went to a one uke policy and can't have multiple instruments with multiple strings.

I don't think I could get down to just one uke yet. I suppose I could get down to 3. One high G tenor, one low G tenor and one baritone.

BearMakingNoises
02-03-2017, 10:06 PM
I don't think I could get down to just one uke yet. I suppose I could get down to 3. One high G tenor, one low G tenor and one baritone.

The benefit is that I know this instrument inside and out. The limits of one make for some creative but mind boggling composing tricks sometimes. Plus you build a very tight bond with the instrument when it is you sole means of creating music.

willisoften
02-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Though I generally agree with Dirk's comments, as a consumer I would like to have answers to these type of questions. Now, if someone said, I don't want to tell you because it is proprietary and I am protecting my formula, then I can accept that. But any other reason than that, falls short of acceptable to me personally, as a consumer.

I understand what you mean, I personally like string diameters on a packet, as I understand it, nylgut, nylon monofilament strings, nylon fishing line, flurocarbon, polyamide and one or two others are all basically the same thing done different. (Maybe I'm mistaken, happened before) I'd just like to hear why the manufacturer regards this as a superior formulation, e.g stretchier, less stretch, faster recovery, higher density, made by pixies, every packet packed by nuns etc.