New Ono Tenor - Madagascar Rosewood and Sitka Spruce

saltytri

Reaction score
This 17" tenor just got strung up yesterday. The back and sides are Madagascar rosewood and the top is a stiff and relatively dense piece of Sitka spruce with good silking and an unusually warm hue that goes well with the brownish rosewood. The fret board is ebony, the neck is Honduras mahogany, the rosette is bloodwood and the binding is bubinga with a fine, white accent. The Southcoast ML-WB strings are settling in nicely and project a full and resonant tone.

31771925984_1a9852ac5e_b.jpg

32461965982_d114ab7068_b.jpg

32461966332_7b4d5f1a5e_b.jpg

31771924874_2187007860_b.jpg

Another nice looking build, David. I know it has the very responsive, resonant Ono sound!

Beautiful work David.

Is this tenor wider at the waist than your standard 13-fret neck tenor, or is it that the sound hole is higher? Either way, does that give it more soundboard to vibrate, and more projection?

That is sick

Congrats on finishing another beautiful instrument David!

I love the simple appointments that allow that fantastic looking wood to be the center of attention.

Very nice clean design..it looks like the fretboard is floating over the top, is this the case?

Is this the first Ono with a logo in the headstock? I know we talked about this before, but this is the first one I've seen.

As always, beautiful work David.

Beautiful work David.

Is this tenor wider at the waist than your standard 13-fret neck tenor, or is it that the sound hole is higher? Either way, does that give it more soundboard to vibrate, and more projection?

Sharp eyes, Hodge. The way I build allows a bit of adjustment to the width of the body and the tightness of the waist. I don't know that this is the widest of my tenors but it was intentionally made to be toward the wide end of the scale to increase the area of the top. Most of my tenors have been 13 frets to the body but I've also done 14. This adds one fret (18 instead of 17 total) and moves the sound hole north by 1/8". That's not very much but it does stand to reason that it slightly increases the "working" area of the top. Every little bit helps, though there's no way to quantify the difference. There's not much real estate on the top of a uke and I've always thought that it is worthwhile to maximize the area that is available to make sound. This is why I use the cantilevered fret board that someone commented on in a post above and narrow, solid linings rather than the wider kerfed linings. Just about everything in the design and construction of an instrument can be debated (so keep the flames to a minimum :rolleyes:) but this one has lots of nice tone so perhaps all the little things do add up.

Last edited:
Is this the first Ono with a logo in the headstock? I know we talked about this before, but this is the first one I've seen.

As always, beautiful work David.

Thanks, Lenny! I've been doing the logo for several months, usually with MOP but also with ebony when the peg head is light in color.

Wow! Every ukulele that comes out of your shop has me drooling! Excellent work!

Understated elegance. Just lovely!

Superb looking Uke.

A few questions:

How does it sound?
How does one travel with a Uke like this with the CITES rulings?

I am considering a purchase and have wondered how CITES affects the wood tones we love to hear and see.

Superb looking Uke.

A few questions:

How does it sound?
How does one travel with a Uke like this with the CITES rulings?

I am considering a purchase and have wondered how CITES affects the wood tones we love to hear and see.

There is a lot of information on CITES in this recent thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124288-CITES-Update

I'm no expert on the details of these laws and regulations and it might be a mistake for anyone to rely on anything I might say. Having said this, there seem to be two lines of thinking on international travel with an instrument that contains CITES II or III species: 1) it may be OK to travel internationally with completed instruments that are being carried for personal use and are not being sold across international boundaries and 2) just don't take the chance. Of course, domestic travel isn't an issue. If anyone has more refined information, by all means chime in! Fortunately, wonderful instruments can be built with materials that are not restricted.

I have only primitive sound recording equipment and haven't been able to produce sound files that I consider acceptable. For some pretty good sound samples, you might want to look here:

http://www.onoukes.com/onomas/

Last edited:
There is a lot of information on CITES in this recent thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124288-CITES-Update

I'm no expert on the details of these laws and regulations and it might be a mistake for anyone to rely on anything I might say. Having said this, there seem to be two lines of thinking on international travel with an instrument that contains CITES II or III species: 1) it may be OK to travel internationally with completed instruments that are being carried for personal use and are not being sold across international boundaries and 2) just don't take the chance. Of course, domestic travel isn't an issue. If anyone has more refined information, by all means chime in! Fortunately, wonderful instruments can be built with materials that are not restricted.

I have only primitive sound recording equipment and haven't been able to produce sound files that I consider acceptable. For some pretty good sound samples, you might want to look here:

http://www.onoukes.com/onomas/

Hi David,

Thanks for the update ... this is a super looking Uke and I love the focused, detail work you do. I have played Dave's 18" Tenor and it is excellent.

Top Bottom